USB device issue

gpathan

Hi,

I have a Intel Mother Board  D945GCPE and i have currently installed

Windows XP SP2.

The issue is - my system is not detecting any USB devices suh as

pendrive when i plug them.

When i looked at my sysytems Device Managers - following are getting

dispalyed under the section " Universal Serial Bus Controllers ".

Intel(R) 82801G(ICH Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
      Intel(R) 82801G(ICH Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
      Intel(R) 82801G(ICH Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
      Intel(R) 82801G(ICH Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
      Intel(R) 82801G(ICH Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CC
      Unknown Device
      USB Root Hub
      USB Root Hub
      USB Root Hub
      USB Root Hub
      USB Root Hub

All are enabled except the " Unknown Device ". It says that no active

driver has been installed.

• 1. Re: USB device issue
          Boyet

When you connect your pendrive did you receive a message at the taskbar that " the device has limited .... may not work properly" ? You might need to install a driver for your pendrive.

• 2. Re: USB device issue
            gpathan

No , I did not receive any such messages during start up.

• 3. Re: USB device issue
              Boyet

I'm assuming that your system is already up and running when you plug your pendrive. Anyway, my interpretation for the unknown device in the device manager is that your pendrive is not properly recognized by the system. If the pendrive comes with a driver you might have to install it for the system to recognized it. If no driver try removing your pendrive and uninstal the unknown device in the device manager. Put back the pendrive and see if system will be able to recognize it and install the correct driver automatically.

• 4. Re: USB device issue
                gpathan

I tried all your suggestions but none worked. Also i purchased a new USB PCI card today. But even this is not being recognised by my system. Is this issue something to do with my motherboard. Please advise.

• 5. Re: USB device issue
                  Boyet

You have four usb at the back and 4 available for the front. Do all of these not working? Also you should update to Win XP SP3.

• 6. Re: USB device issue
                    1. Open Device  Manager.
                    2. If the category for your device is not expanded, double-click the category.
                    3. Under the category for your device, right-click the device that you want to  uninstall, and then click Uninstall.
                    4. In the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK.

Note

• To open Device Manager, click Start, click  Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click  System. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

Once you have removed your device, use the Add Hardware Wizard to reinstall  it.