8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2017 12:54 AM by FloFlo

NUC5PGYH HDMI image/video problem

FloFlo

Hello.

I just got the nuc from the title a day ago and today i set it up connecting it to my tv. I noticed a weird problem with the hdmi. Sometimes when i change the source on my tv to another hdmi and then switch back to the hdmi where the nuc is i have an image which is only a white noise video. I am attaching a picture of it. After a few reswitches it gets normal. If i dont reswitch the screen keeps flickering between no signal, that white noise stuff and nothing shown with the message that the resolution is not supported. If i start the nuc and i have the tv on that hdmi source from the start everything is ok. Same after it starts working. The problem occurs just if i switch sources while nuc is on or i start the nuc and i have the source on tv on another one and i switch to the nuc at a later time.

Any idea what might be happening?

• 1. Re: NUC5PGYH HDMI image weirdness
          FloFlo

Hello. Here's a video of what is happening.

Intel nuc hdmi issue - YouTube

Drivers and BIOS are updated, I tried different hdmi ports and cables. Same issue.

The TV is a Full HD one.

Any idea?

Thanks.

• 2. Re: NUC5PGYH HDMI image/video problem
            FloFlo

Any hint here please? Sorry to insist, but I need to know if there's a fix, because there is still time to return the device if it's a problem that cannot be solved. I only have it for 3 days. Thanks.

• 3. Re: NUC5PGYH HDMI image/video problem
              FloFlo

Hello again.

Since no one from Intel replies to this (or someone else), I will continue the thread by myself, hopefully it will stay active until a solution is found. Lately I have experienced flickers also. Screen goes black, then flickers a bit, that gets normal again. I noticed them at the beginning as well, but being during drivers updates, I thought it's because that. But it's not.

Two days ago I've spoken with a support person, by chat, and recommended a HDMI firmware update (I don't have the case number at hand at the moment). I couldn't do it then on spot, but tried it few hours ago.

The update application starts, but when I hit the "Get FW version" button the info box goes red with the message "System connection failed". If I manually choose the update files the Update/Start button becomes available but when I click it and confirm, the info box gets red again with message "ISP failed!".

What the heck is going on? Should I return this unit? I really like it when it works. Again, all drivers and BIOS are up to date. I tried different cables (including gold plated, if it makes any difference) and HDMI ports. The TV is a Full HD Samsung, older one, 2010 version, model 40C530.

Thanks for any help.

• 4. Re: NUC5PGYH HDMI image/video problem
                FloFlo

Hello.

I've been trying last evening with a different display. The issues are the same. And still cannot update HDMI firmware. Same errors as before.

At one point I changed the frequency from 59Hz to 60Hz, and then for a number the seconds the white noise happened as in the video I posted above. Then I changed the frequencies again up and down between 59 and 60, and it did not occurred anymore. It still occurred though when switching the display to another source and then back to the HDMI where the NUC was, as described in the first post.

• 5. Re: NUC5PGYH HDMI image/video problem
                  rguevara

Hi FloFlo

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with one of our products.

I have heard of a similar issues before but instead of “white noise” image I have reports of no video signaling at all.

We usually recommend the following (I know that you mentioned that you have already ran latest software but please check the versions):

-       Latest BIOS (Version 0064): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27146/NUCs-BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A-?product=88065

-       Latest Graphics Drivers (Version 15.40.34.4624) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25645/NUCs-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5PGYH?product=88065

-       *** We also recommend to update the system HDMI firmware, see here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26609/NUCs-HDMI-2-0-Firmware-Update-Tool-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BN-NUC7i5BN-NUC7i7BN-NUC6CAY?product=88065 but this is mostly if you have a HDMI 2.0 device and you have to have a HDMI 2.0 device connected to the NUC to be able to run the firmware update.

-       I would also recommend that you test another TV

Let me know if any of this helps

Regards,

Ronny G

• 6. Re: NUC5PGYH HDMI image/video problem
                    FloFlo

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I have tried different solutions, but in the end the problems remain. The only thing I couldn't test is upgrading the HDMI firmware, it still errors out like described in a previous post of mine, on 2 displays I tried.

Meanwhile, I've upgraded to 4 GB RAM, and to 120GB Intel SSD, Windows 10 re-install (after some struggle), because I couldn't clone using Intel migration tool (btw, it has issues, lots of errors, and I had to reinstall after using it). I also noticed that the white noise image problem appears while not in Windows as well (while booting or while in UEFI), so not sure if the driver has anything to do with it.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: NUC5PGYH HDMI image/video problem
                      rguevara

Hi FloFlo

I really don’t have any other suggestion, I work with NUCs all day and this is the first report I got with this description. Did you try by any chance to test the NUC with a different TV? You have all devices updated already (except for the HDMI 2.0 firmware but your TV doesn’t require it) before we think that there is a problem with the NUC I would like to confirm that there is no issue between the NUC and the TV. Testing a different TV brand and model would help.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 8. Re: NUC5PGYH HDMI image/video problem
                        FloFlo

Hi,

I've been briefly using the NUC on 2 other TVs than before, and although I didn't had much time to really test those issues, it behaved good. For now I'm good, it didn't went blank screen for a while, I think since I've re-installed Win10 on the SSD. But I think I did had a noisy white screen once. I'll keep you posted if anything else happens.