5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2017 5:21 PM by MartyG

Vision R200 Realsense on Intel Aero Board for UAV

MarioTavarez

Hello, I have a question, I am developing an autonomous drone for a project, I want my drone to be able to evade obstacles and land by itself recognizing a platform, I have an intel R200 realsense camera and an intel aero platform for UAV, how can I start develop such software? Can I use the realsense libraries? can I use opencv? and if it is one of those ways how can I install it in the intel aero platform for UAV?

By the way I have the version:

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.13

os_version = Poki Aero (Intel Aero Linux Distro) 1.5.1 (Pyro)

AIRMAP_VERSION = 1.8

FPGA_VERSION = 0xc1

I would greatly appreciate your response.

regards Mario

• 1. Re: Vision R200 Realsense on Intel Aero Board for UAV
          MartyG

I recently answered a similar question over on the RealSense forum, regarding an Intel Ready To Fly drone with Aero and Vision Accessory Kit.  The information in that and the tutorial guides linked to, especially on page 1 of the 4-page discussion, may be useful to you. 

RealSense Capabilities with Aero RTF Drone

You may have to do a bit more labor with installing programs than the user in that case though, since the Ready To Fly drone comes with software such as Librealsense pre-loaded.

• 2. Re: Vision R200 Realsense on Intel Aero Board for UAV
            MarioTavarez

Hello Marty Thank you so much for the information.

The truth I have no idea how to install the library on the aero platform, I would like to make an application in python or C with that library obviously such application would be running in an environment by the command line which is Yocto, see the data that is capturing and viewing in a bitacora, used log in python with opencv to receive data in a binnacle as coordinates and other data.

I thought a little of what I want to do in my project, I'm in charge of the vision module and my tasks are the following:

Recognize an object as a landing platform and send parameters as coordinates to the flight controller px4 by means of mavlink and this tells you to start lowering.

Evacuation of obstacles in the air sending parameters to the px4 flight controller by means of mavlink.

I have an Intel board aero board with the version that I had specified in the top part and I have a vision kit called Vision Accessory Kit for Intel Aero Platform for UAV.

Vision Realsense Aero Platform.jpg

I would appreciate your help Marty.

Regards Mario

• 3. Re: Vision R200 Realsense on Intel Aero Board for UAV
              MartyG

That's a lot of questions, Mario.  That's totally fine, but we will have to take them step by step. 

1.  I would recommend starting by ensuring that all the relevant parts of your Aero setup are 'flashed' to ensure they are updated to the latest versions.  That is:

- Operating system

- BIOS

- FPGA

If you have not done this yet, you can find the details for the process by going to the link below and scrolling down to the section headed 'Flashing Intel Aero Linux Distribution'.

02 Initial Setup · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub

By working down through that section and the next couple of sections, you should get your Aero setup up to date.  Stop when you get to the section headed 'Flashing the Flight Controller (RTF only)', as that is for the pre-built Ready To Fly (RTF) drone kit.

2.  Once you are flashed up to date, and you have Yocto installed, the logical next step is to add the wrapper for Librealsense to Yocto.  In the page linked to below, follow the instructions in the section 'How To Build (Yocto).  Ignore the Wind River section below it.

https://libraries.io/github/IntelRealSense/meta-intel-librealsense

When those tasks are successfully done, I'll be happy to talk with you about the other steps in relation to the flight controller.  Good luck!

• 4. Re: Vision R200 Realsense on Intel Aero Board for UAV
                MarioTavarez

Hi Marty, thank you very much for answering immediately.

I have already flashed all the components followed the same steps that come in the link you gave me, and with the command aero-get-version.py provides me with these data:

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.13

os_version = Poki Aero (Intel Aero Linux Distro) 1.5.1 (Pyro)

AIRMAP_VERSION = 1.8

FPGA_VERSION = 0xc1

I can not find the file that comes in the page that you indicated to me, which says the following:

Add the following lines to your bblayers.conf file in 'build / conf':

BBLAYERS + = "/ PATH / TO / LAYERS / meta-intel-librealsense" BBLAYERS + = "/ PATH / TO / LAYERS / meta-openembedded / meta-oe"

I searched the aero board for that file and it does not appear, how could I find that file and install the librealsense? I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards Mario

• 5. Re: Vision R200 Realsense on Intel Aero Board for UAV
                  MartyG

I have an engineering degree and even I scratch my head at documentation sometimes! 

I haven't built an Aero drone myself or used Yocto, so have no direct experience of the build directory that is a part of Yocto projects.  After much analysis, I would guess that you should go to the Librealsense wrapper web page and click the 'Clone or download' button to download the Librealsense wrapper files.

GitHub - intel-aero/meta-intel-aero-librealsense: Yocto layer for librealsense

I have had to finish work on the forums for today now, so if you have more questions then please leave a comment and I will see it early on Saturday morning.  Good luck!