8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2017 1:08 AM by Elisha.Spicer

D510MO Failed?

Elisha.Spicer

I recently came into possession of one of these boards, and im trying to get it running, well, running again.

I was able to get the device up and running with an old ssd with win 10 on it. just to see if the board was working. And it was!

We decided to install windows 7 on it as we have a key and it is more compatible, driver wise with 7.

I shut it down and attached an external usb cdrom to install 7. but the boot order kept trowing me back into windows 10.

Entering the BIOS, we set the cdrom as first boot and saved the settings, also disabled UEFI Boot.

Upon starting the computer, nothing will boot, nor can we enter the bios anymore. just an error that no boot device found.

I have changed the jumper setting to short pins 2-3 to force it into the bios, but it still will not get into bios setup. also pulled battery for 30-40 minutes and attempted a recovery of the bios from a *.BIO file from usb

Nothing seems to allow access to the bios setup now, nor can we get the board to boot from any drive, cdrom, or usb.

Any Suggestions or is the board dead all of a sudden?

• 1. Re: D510MO Failed?
          N.Scott.Pearson

Since the CD-ROM was only going to be there temporarily, you should have been using F10 to boot from it, not screwing around with the BIOS boot order.

At this point, are you getting any screen output? Do you see the BIOS splash screen? If so, power cycle again and, this time, begin hitting the F2 key over and over immediately (i.e. don't wait for splash screen to appear; this may be too late). Can you get in now?

...S

• 2. Re: D510MO Failed?
            Elisha.Spicer

I have been getting screen output the whole time.

However i have not been able to access the bios again.

i get the intel splash screen at boot informing me of the options, f2 to enter bios, f7 for flash, f10 for boot menu, and f12 for network boot.

but the machine seems to accept no input at this point. once the machine posts (after a short hang during code EB) the message of no bootable device found appears and i can use ctrl+alt+delete to reboot.

i have tried using both usb and ps2 keyboards (not at same time) and i am still unable to access the bios.

• 3. Re: D510MO Failed?
              N.Scott.Pearson

...And you are hitting the F2 key, over and over and over, starting before the splash screen appears and continuing until you see the no boot device message appear?

• 4. Re: D510MO Failed?
                Elisha.Spicer

Correct

I have tried pressing it over and over while i press the power button.

immediately after it powers up.

after the keyboard lights up.

holding it down during power on

i have tried multiple methods of accessing the bios this way. none of the function keys work. i cannot access bios, flash, boot menu, or network boot. trying this method of mashing the button before splash.

• 5. Re: D510MO Failed?
                  N.Scott.Pearson

No, don't hold it down; this only generates a single character that could be missed; press and release the key over and over and over. Hit power button and then start hitting the key...

• 6. Re: D510MO Failed?
                    Elisha.Spicer

Sorry, you misunderstand.

i was not clear enough.

--one try

I have tried pressing it over and over while i press the power button.

failed

--another try

immediately after it powers up. (repeatedly pressing)

failed

--another try

after the keyboard lights up. (repeatedly pressing)

failed

--another try

holding it down during power on

failed

i was only holding down during a different powerup, not every time.

• 7. Re: D510MO Failed?
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Instead of hitting the F2 key, hit the F10 key. This should get you to a dialog where you get to pick which device to boot from.

...S

• 8. Re: D510MO Failed?
                        Elisha.Spicer

um...in my reply #4 i state that none of the function keys work. i have tried them all.

and to be clear.

i have tried repeatedly pressing them all. f1-f12 from startup, before and after the splash screen appears.

and i know that not all of them have functions, but to be clear again.

i have tried repeatedly pressing them on numerous boots, as there is 1-12 keys. and i tried pressing them repeatedly before the splash and after the splash and after the keyboard lights up.

and only one key per boot, but pressing them repeatedly, f1 for one boot, f2 for another, f3 for another, etc....

i am getting no recognition of the function keys at boot, no ability to access the bios, no ability to access the flash update, no ability to access selecting a boot device, no ability to start a network boot.

once the device fails to boot with the "no bootable device detected" i can ctrl alt delete reboot

and to be clear

i am pressing the function keys from a power reboot, and a soft reboot.

so f1 after powering on, f1 after ctrl+alt+delete, f2 from powering on, f2 after ctrl+alt+delete, and so on for each key....

repeatedly pressing them each time.