13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2017 9:08 AM by dev00cat

On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected

dev00cat

Hello,

same driver and same hardware (I attach my SSU result). On a Win7 image we select  "Scale Full Screen" on Intel HD graphics config tool, we launch our 4:3 aspect ratio soft and it works perfectly, scaling to full screen ok. We stop and launch again our soft and perfect, we reboot and launch again and perfect.

On a Win10 image we select  "Scale Full Screen" on Intel HD graphics config tool, we launch our 4:3 soft and it appears small and centered. However we can then go to Intel HD graphics config tool and select "Scale Full Screen" again, and it woks perfectly, fully scaled! But after closing our soft and new launch, it appears small and centered again, every new launch is small and centered, and of course we can't not change settings after every launch or reboot.

It seems that driver, and only on Win10, doesn't stores that the "Scale Full Screen" option has been selected.

I also remember on old driver versions an "Override Application Settings" option, where is it? However on same driver version, but on Win7, this option is also missing but it keeps the "Scale full screen" option properly selected...

It's quite urgent as we would like to use this motherboard as our main commercial hardware for POS, Digital Signage and gambling machine. We have no problems with Win7 but we would like to use Win10 for lower License costs. The only thing wrong for us is this Scale problem.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello dev00cat,

Thank you for reaching the Intel Communities. I understand you would like to have this system working as desired in terms of scaling.

We can certainly troubleshoot this scenario to look for a possible solution.

In this case, I would like you to remove the driver, restart the system and install the current driver once again, by doing this, we can remove any possible corrupted file from the driver installation folder.

These are the steps to be followed to remove the driver:

-Access the device manager (you can use windows start search to find it)
          -Look for Display adapters double click on it
          -Right-click on your Intel® HD Graphics and hit properties
          -Go to driver tab and hit uninstall
          -Select "Delete the driver software for this device"

Then reboot the system, and install this driver: Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.33]

If you face troubles while installing it, follow these steps to get it installed:

1. Extract the .zip file downloaded

2. Access the device manager and look for display adapters (double-click on it, you should be able to see an Intel(R) HD Graphics adapter or Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

3. Right-click and select update driver for Intel HD Graphics

4. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

5. Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

6. Click on "Have Disk" and find the extracted folder of the driver downloaded

7. Go to "Graphics" folder within driver folder and select the **igdlh64.inf** file and hit open then ok

8. Select Intel HD Graphics XXX under "model" and hit next

If the problem persists, please test your system with an older driver: Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.33]

Thanks,
          Esteban C

• 2. Re: On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected
            dev00cat

Hello,

I've tried reinstalling both drivers (first link was wrong, a 32bit version but I found 64bit version of this driver, no problem). Problem persists, same behaviour.

I attach some pictures of the process:

1. I select "Maintain Display Scaling" and Apply. The screen scales Ok.

2. I launch my 4:3 (640x480) app. It appears centered ans small, not scaled to full screen.

3. I stop my app and I check again Intel HD settings. Now "Maintain Display Scaling" option is not selected, but "Centered Image" instead.

It seems like my App is overriding the Intel HD settings. But on all this drivers the old option "Override Application Settings" is missing.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected
              Intel Corporation

Thank you for reporting back, dev00cat

I was wondering, do you have scaling options on the monitor's menu? This is to set up the monitor to 4:3 or different scaling options and check how the image is reproduced.

Regards,
              Esteban C

• 4. Re: On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected
                dev00cat

Hi Esteban,

if you want to see how monitor reproduces 4:3 at full screen, you only need to check the '1.jpg' picture I attached on my previuos answer. Monitor, after applying "Scale Full Screen" on Intel HD Settings for 640x480 resolution, it reproduces at full screen perfectly, no black borders, all ok.

But after doing this, when I launch my App (wich uses 640x480 resolution), on picture 2.jpg you can see the black borders appears.

It's just this, it's not a Monitor problem at all: same monitor, same hardware, on Win 7 I never have black borders with my App. I do exactly the same on Win 10 and I have this issues, so it's obviously a problem with your drivers for Win 10. Scale Full Screen option on Win 10 drivers get lost!

Thank you.

• 5. Re: On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected
                  Intel Corporation

Thank you for reporting back, dev00cat

Is there a possibility of me getting the software used to test the system's behavior on my side?

Regards,
                  Esteban C

• 6. Re: On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected
                    dev00cat

Ok,

I will prepare you a slim, standalone version of our soft, just to reproduce this issue.

Thank you.

• 7. Re: On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected
                      Intel Corporation

That would be great, thank you. dev00cat

Regards,
                      Esteban C

• 8. Re: On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected
                        dev00cat

Hi Esteban,

I attach a very lightweight test app for you (and screenshot). It just changes resolution to 640x480 as we do in our production soft.

You will see that after launching the app, your desktop appears at 640x480 but small and centered. You can then click OK to continue at 640x480 or Cancel to restore original resolution.

If you click OK, then go to Intel HD Settings and select "Scale to Full Screen" option, it scales ok, perfect! you have the desktop at 640x80 and Full Screen.

But then you launch again the test app, and it again appears small and centered. If you go to Intel HD Settings again you will see that "Scale Full Screen" option is not selected anymore, it gets lost! Here is the problem, driver seems to not stores that I selected this option in advance. Or my test app is allways overriding driver settings.

This test app is developed with Visual Studio 2010 SP1, it's possible you need to install the C++ redistributable package:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328

And after preparing all this stuff, I see that you can simulate the same behaviour by going to "Compatibility" settings of any app (right click and Properties), and select "Run in 640x480 resolution". You will see your app small and centered.

Thank you.

• 9. Re: On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected
                          Intel Corporation

That is terrific, thank you for the willingness to work with this matter, dev00cat

Let me get a system similar to yours so I can proceed with the tests and then report back to you.

Regards,
                          Esteban C

• 10. Re: On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected
                            Intel Corporation

dev00cat

After doing the respective tests I found the following results:

What I did:

1. Run the app
                            2. Screen will appear as centered
                            3. Go to the control panel and select scale to full screen
                            4. Restart the system and get regular resolution
                            5. Start the app again and get centered again

Hardware Used (the same graphics driver is used for this graphics adapter so it should not make a difference):
                            System: Lenovo x230 Tablet
                            CPU model: Intel® Core™ i7-3520M Processor
                            RAM Part Number: 6GB
                            Monitor Brand and Model: Built-in

Software:
                            Gfx driver version(s): 10.18.10.4653
                            Tested App(s) version: Provided by you

The outcome:

Yes, the problem was present, however, I found this workaround:

• If the option "Scale to Full Screen" is enabled before the app "IntelSFS.exe" is run
                            • The screen goes to fullscreen right away

Please let me know if it is ok for you to use the scale to full-screen option while having the "standard" resolution of your system.

This worked for me several times, please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
                            Esteban C

• 11. Re: On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected
                              dev00cat

Hello Esteban,

first of all thank you for your tests!

Next, when we talk about "Scale to Full Screen" option, in fact is "Maintain Display Scaling" isn't it. We use to have spanish language Windows systems, but today I checked this option on an english system and I could see the option name is "Mantain Display Scaling". Just to clear it.

Your workaround is not working on my systems:

- If the option "Scale to Full Screen" is enabled before the app "IntelSFS.exe" is run

-The screen goes to fullscreen right away

I enable "Maintain Display Scaling" while in standard resolution and I launch my app... small and centered always. However, on Intel HD Graphics possible resolutions to configure the "Maintain Display Scaling" option, I don't have 640x480, so I set the option to all other possible ones. In any case, it's the same I do on my Windows 7 systems (I neither have 640x480), same driver and same hardware, but on win7 everything works ok, scaling to full screen, keeping this option selected after restarts, etc. So I still think your win10 driver or win10 itself is doing something wrong here.

And anyway, this is a software for POS and Digital Signage systems, we don't have any user intervention, so although if your workaround would have worked for us, we would still need a command line option or something similar to automatically set the "Maintain Display Scaling" prior to launch our App.

Anyway as I told, your workaround doesn't work for us, may be it only happens  on our graphic card model, or on win 10 Enterprise edition (you have my SSU result).

Thank you.

• 12. Re: On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected
                                Intel Corporation

Hello dev00cat

Thank you for the answer provided.

The workaround used was with "Scale to Fullscreen" and it worked the way you said here:

"- If the option "Scale to Full Screen" is enabled before the app "IntelSFS.exe" is run

-The screen goes to fullscreen right away"

The Scale to Fullscreen and Maintain Display Scaling are different options, we want to use Scale to Fullscreen.

ScaleFullScreen Option.JPG

Let me check if something related to the default options related to scaling can be done, I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Regards,
                                Esteban C

• 13. Re: On Win 10 "Scale Full Screen" option doesn't remains selected
                                  dev00cat

Ok,

but I don't have any "Scale Full Screen" option, I only have "Center Image" and "Maintain Display Scaling", sorry for this confusion.

Anyway as I told you, I have exactly the same options on win7 and win10, but on win7 (same drivers and same hardware) I select "Maintain Display Scaling", launch the app and everything works fine, scaling to full screen, etc. I do exactly the same on win10 and I have small and centered image.

4.jpg