1 2 3 Previous Next 122 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2018 1:36 PM by ifotted

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

coolrecep

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which use have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070. The problem is that whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Right click on desktop
      • Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
      • Opening Chrome-browser
      • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
      • Opening system control panel
      • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
      • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

Another one:

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
      • NVIDIA driver
      • Chipset driver
      • BIOS
      • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.

The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?

There is a also a workaround: configuring TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!

So, Microsoft has to come up with a fix.

Thank you.

Raise Your Voice:

MS accounts you can tweet to:

Provide Feedback

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for "Feedback Hub" in Cortana search, and then launch the app.
      2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, and then press + Add new feedback.
      3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and then choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
      4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you're done.
      5. Once you've completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
      6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
      7. Click My Feedback at the top, and then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
      8. Open the item you submitted, and then click Share.
      9. Click Copy link, and then paste the link in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>).

Join Us on Reddit

Upvote this Reddit thread: A Windows 10 issue is causing bad stuttering on some laptops

Workaround for Right Click Freeze
      Go to regedit and remove those two entries:

• HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\igfxcui
      • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\igfxDTCM

Restart and voila! You don't have a freeze on right click anymore.

2018 Update from Intel

Hello all,

I noted I'd provide updates as they become available. Keeping with that, the debug engineer has moved this to our Control Panel team and it's in their queue awaiting a Developer. I've escalated the issue with management and I'm hoping to get this assigned to a Developer in the next few days to continue investigation. Yes, I have prioritized this, it is being treated with high importance, and I'll continue to provide updates when I have something to update you with. No update means there's nothing of value yet to update. I know the process seems to be taking a long time, though I feel there is good traction internally and I've been championing this for you. Overall there is a lot of development going on, so it's not unusual for investigations to take months; more complex issues can take even longer and other considerations can add to that time as well. I understand the level of frustration this is causing and am doing my best to push this to get an answer as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience during this process.

.:Bryce:.

2018 Update from Microsoft

I don't want you all to think I'm dismissing the issue. It truly is about impact and scale. If the issue is bigger than what's in the video, that will help revise priority. I'll check the thread for additional details. Thanks! ~Jason

Message was edited by: Recep Baltaş

1 2 3 Previous Next