1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2018 5:00 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel RST problem

jeff399

Hello, I may have a big RAID 1 problem and need advice.  I wanted to get rid of my RAID setup which is two 2TB drives with 300GB as a RAID 0 array and the remaining as a RAID 1 array.  I did research beforehand and read numerous places that when a RAID 1 array is reset to non-raid disks in the RST boot screen you end up with two identical disks with each having a working copy of the data.  Just what I wanted so I did that.  But when I went back into Windows 10 afterwards Disk Management says the disks need to be Initialized.  Is this correct?  I did not see it mentioned in the posts I read before in my preparation.  I stopped there as I would like to get confirmation that Initializing the disk is the next step.   If not then what should my next step be.  Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Intel RST problem
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi : Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® communities. We will do our best in order to try to provide the information you are looking for.

First we recommend to back up any important information from the RAID configuration. In regard to your inquiry, normally the Intel® RST application should initialized the hard drives automatically. At this point we advice to access the Intel RST application and look for the “status” tab just to confirm that both hard drives are normal.
          After that the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with Microsoft to get further assistance on this matter, since there are some reports stating the information from the hard drives might get deleted if you initialized the drives manually from disk management:
          https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: Intel RST problem
            jeff399

Alberto,

I have not initialized the drives.  I stopped when I saw that Disk Management required them to be initialized.  So the drives are just like they were immediately after using the RST boot screen to reset disks to non-raid.  The main question is whether the results of resetting the disks of a RAID 1 array results in two workable copies of the array data since RAID 1 is mirroring.  That is what Intel employee allan_intel says happens in this forum post (Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions ).  How can I get my data back?  I expected that my RAID 1 data would be preserved as allan_intel said it would.  If he is wrong, and Intel has not bothered to correct his post, then how can I restore the RAID 1 data since all that has been done is to use the Intel RST Option ROM to convert them to non-raid.

Regards,

Jeff

• 3. Re: Intel RST problem
              Intel Corporation

: In regard to your question, yes, resetting the disks of a RAID 1 array results in two workable copies of the array data, that is for RAID 1 only. There is no need to get the data back, the data is there, the thing is that there are some reports that mention that if you initialized the drives that data might get lost, that is the information that we recommend to confirm with Microsoft directly.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
              Alberto R

• 4. Re: Intel RST problem
                jeff399

As I have started previously, the disks were not initialized after being reset to non-raid.  The disks were working in the RAID array and then I reset the disks to non-raid from the Intel RST boot screen.  That is all.  When I saw the message from Disk Management (see below) saying the disks needed to be initialized I clicked the Cancel button.

S_Intel_RST1.jpgS_Intel_RST2.jpg

In the second image you can see the two large disks and they are both not initialized.  You say the data is there, great, just what I want to hear.  So how do I get to it if the operating system is unable to read the disks.  Should I put the disks back into a RAID array?  If so what steps exactly need to be done in order to rebuild the array as it was before.  Of course with my data intact.

Regards,

Jeff

• 5. Re: Intel RST problem
                  Intel Corporation

Thank you for providing that information and for the pictures. At this point, the best thing to do will be to get in contact with Microsoft directly in order to confirm if the data will get lost or not if you initialized the drives, and also to get possible suggestions or workarounds for this scenario.

Just to let you know, there might be 3rd party tool that you can install to retrieve the information from the drives, but you will need to check with the manufacturer of them to find out how to use them.

Regards,
                  Alberto R

• 6. Re: Intel RST problem
                    jeff399

I am shocked by your response and Intel's lack of responsibility for the products it creates.  So Intel's response to the problem created by following an Intel employee's instructions and running an Intel program which resets the disks to non-raid is to call Microsoft.  To say the least it is very disappointing to learn that when one follows the advice given by Intel employees and it is wrong, Intel's solution is to go to Microsoft.  I can tell you that initializing the disk will not return the lost files.  It will make it even more difficult because the directory structure will be overwritten.  Intel knows what the program it wrote does to the disks.  I need a way to reverse it and initializing the disks is not the way.  I suppose in Intel's view Microsoft is supposed to reverse engineer the Intel program in order to figure out what it does when it resets RAID 1 disks to non raid disks and then figure how correct correct the error in the Intel program so that I end up with two copies of the data as Allan_Intel, an Intel employee, said it would in the post I sent you earlier.  I need my case to be escalated to someone who has more knowledge than you.

• 7. Re: Intel RST problem
                      Intel Corporation

: We truly apologize for any inconvenience. In this case, the thing is that normally when you set the disks to Non-Raid what happens is that the RAID structure gets removed but the data should be still on the hard drives. Usually, it is not necessary to initialized the hard drives, you should be able to retrieve the information without the need of doing that, that is why we suggest to get in contact with Microsoft about this particular scenario.

Regards,
                      Alberto R

• 8. Re: Intel RST problem
                        jeff399

So you still say that Microsoft should figure out what the Intel program did when it reset the disks to non-raid.  They will not do that.  They will say it is a program written by Intel, why should we fix their mess.  The conversation would go something like this:

Me - I have a problem.  Windows will not read the data on my hard disks.  They were fine before and now Disk managment reports they need to be initialized.

Microsoft - What happpened immediately before the disks became unreadable?

Me - The disks in question were part of an Intel RST RAID 1 array.  I ran the Intel RST program that resets the disks to non-raid.  After that they were unreadable.

Microsoft - Does this Intel program write to the disk?

Me - Yes, I beleive it does.

Microsoft - What does it write to the disks?

Me - Intel tech support says you are supposed to figure that out and tell me how to reverse it.

Microsoft - I'm sorry but Microsoft does not debug Intel programs.

Do you really expect Microsoft to get some kind of hex editor to look at the data on the disk and figure out what the Intel program did and how to reverse it?  they will not do it.

I suppose in an ideal world Intel would say "That's strange, normally this is supposed to happen, but for some reason in your case it did not happen as expected.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  We will look into what happened with the hopes  of improving our software.  We don't want this to happen to any of our customers".  Contrast that with your replies.

Believe me, someone at Intel knows how the RST program works.  They know exactly what the Intel RST program does to the disks.  It goes to this disk sector and does this, and that disk sector and does this.  Maybe not you, but someone there more senior than you does.  That is who I need to talk to.  It is hard to understand why Intel does not stand behind their products and wants other companies to do their tech support.  It is simple, an Intel program did this and Intel should step up and fix it instead of saying it is someone else'e job.  The disks are exactly like the Intel program left them after resetting the disks.  The Microsoft software (Windows 10) appears to be working as it should.  I ask you again to please escalate my case.  There is nothing wrong with saying I have not been trained at this level of detail so I will pass it on to someone who has the knowledge.

Regards,

Jeff Nagle

• 9. Re: Intel RST problem
                          Intel Corporation

: Once again we apologize for any inconvenience. And yes, at this point we will do further research on this matter in order to try to find a possible solution. As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,
                          Alberto R

• 10. Re: Intel RST problem
                            jeff399

Alberto,

It is good news to hear that Intel will look into my situation.  I am an old guy but have been involved with personal computers for more than 30 years.  So I would respectfully request that you pass on the following thoughts to your technical staff.  As you recall I have two hard drives, each WD 2TB Black.  As you also recall, when using the RST program to create the RAID setup I chose to have the first 300GB be RAID 0 (strip 128) and the remaining as RAID 1.

In the Intel forum post by Intel employee Allan_Intel for which I previously provided you the link to, no mention of any non-applicable circumstances were made.  He did not say under some particular circumstances, when you reset the disks of a RAID 1 array, you will not get two disks each with the same data. He said simply if you reset a RAID 1's disks to non-raid you will get two workable copies.  Further he said that the warning given that the reset will harm your data does not apply in the case of RAID 1.  But he might have missed something.  So your tech people might start out with two drives, split them in RAID 0 and RAID 1, write some data, reset the disks to non-raid and see if they can duplicate what happened to me.

One other small thing that I expected during the reset to non-raid process after selecting the disks was if the program saw there were more than one RAID array on the disks, it would ask you which array you want reset.  So that in my case I could have chosen the RAID 1 array and the program would process it.  Maybe with some special routines that ensure two workable copies are the end result.  Instead, since the program assumes no one would ever want to reset only one array if more than one is present on the selected disks, it performs resets for both.  That is possibly the root of the problem as I speculated above.  If is is then at the very least maybe two things will be a result of this case. First, the post by Allan_Intel is updated to give non-applicable circumstances.  Second, a warning in the RST program comes up saying "A RAID 0 array has been detected on the same disk as a RAID 1 array.  Resetting the disks to non-raid will harm the data in BOTH arrays.  Are you sure you want to continue?"

A lot of people rely on the Intel RST program to keep their valuable and sometimes irreplaceable documents/pictures safe.  Hopefully resolving this issue will result in Intel's RST program delivering a more secure experience to customer.  I know I am petrified right now that I might lose my wedding pictures.  My wife will kill me.

Regards,

Jeff

• 11. Re: Intel RST problem
                              jeff399

Alberto,

Any update on my case?  Hopefully over the past week by following the instructions I gave your tech people were able to duplicate my situation.  Can you please tell me what progress they have made.  I have files on the Intel RAID disks that I need.  Also if indeed it does turn out that Allan_Intel's post is incorrect then by finding out the real problem you will know if his post needs to be changed so other Intel customers don't follow it and have the same problem I do.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 12. Re: Intel RST problem
                                jeff399

Alberto,

Any update on my case?  Hopefully over the past couple of weeks, by following the instructions I gave your tech people, they were able to duplicate my situation.  Can you please tell me what progress they have made.  I have files on the Intel RAID disks that I need.  Also if indeed it does turn out that Allan_Intel's post is incorrect then by finding out the real problem you will know if his post needs to be changed so other Intel customers don't follow it and have the same problem I do.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 13. Re: Intel RST problem
                                  jeff399

Alberto,

Well another week has gone by with no word from you about my case.  In the meantime my computer is dead because I am waiting on the hard drives.  These are the two 2TB drives that my raid 1 array was on.  I am reluctant to do anything to them until I hear how do recover the data from the Raid 1 array.  Do you have a supervisor?  Can you send me their email address?  Maybe if you can't get status information about my case then your supervisor can.

Regards,

Jeff

• 14. Re: Intel RST problem
                                    b-unit

Hey Jeff -

Not sure if you're still waiting on a response from Intel. It sounds like the partition map was zeroed by IRST, which is what it does when it adds or removes disks from the array. My recommendation would be to use testdisk (it's free) to restore the partition map to the drive. This should bring your drives back to usable form. You can get it from here: https://www.cgsecurity.org/

I have recovered some nasty RST surprises this way before.

Best of luck, sorry Intel has not had a solution for you. :-/

B.

1 2 Previous Next