6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2017 12:25 PM by Intel Corporation

Connecting Ultra Wide Band Module - best practice ?

trgiman

Dear all,

We need to enable drone to fly indoors without GPS. We would like to use Ultra Wide Band technology.Following module from Marvelmind link below is sending NMEA 0183 format GPS like format of DATA. Does it mean, that Flight Controller software will just use it like regular GPS like module?

https://marvelmind.com/shop/starter-set-hw-v4-9-plastic-housing/

1.Instead connecting GPS. We would connect UWB module, while keeping compass connected.

2.What is the update frequency that we should setup on UWB module. What frequency flight controller on Intel drone is expecting for standard stock GPS module
      3.What is the UART speed for location data to be send into the flight controller from UWB module

4. By default Intel Drone is using uBlox GPS chipset connected to board? Which version?

Any other UWB module suggestions? Best fit for Intel Drone?

Thank you,

Martin

• 1. Re: Connecting Ultra Wide Band Module - best practice ?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Martin,

This sounds very interesting! I have not seen any information about this setup with the Intel Aero Platform. Let me check with some of my peers to see if they have any information. 

By the way, we did publish a guide on using PX4Flow for indoor flying, have you seen it?
          http://www.instructables.com/id/Intel-Aero-Drone-Altitude-and-Position-Hold-Using-/

Regards,
          Jesus

• 2. Re: Connecting Ultra Wide Band Module - best practice ?
            trgiman

Hi Jesus,

It could help a lot. We did find how to connect UWB from Marvel Mind to PixHawk flight controller HW. If something similar would be possible with Intel Flying Kit drone (STK32 controller or Intel Board).It would be perfect. Video Flow sensor is ok (thanks a lot). But we need to fly drone indoor (floor pattern, colors etc. can make video flow sensors crazy sometimes). Our solution is for logistics warehouse....we love the fact, that drone is small. Since Flykit drone flight controller is using PX4 flight controller software, we thought it could be possible to connect Marvel Mind Devices? Below is how they did it with P4X

https://www.marvelmind.com/downloads/marvelmind_pixhawk_v2016_10_11x.pdf

We are evaluating options for our customers currently( they have seen demos based on DJI, but we feel Intel new platform may fit better for this case?....we are already using onboard DJI SDK but we see, that Intel Based solution could fit as well? Any materials how flying time will decrease if we mount 4k camera? etc.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Connecting Ultra Wide Band Module - best practice ?
              jonly

Hi Trgiman,

Interested in your project as I am working on something similar.  Please keep us posted on your progress.  I have been working with this kit for about 3 months and have made many discoveries.

Not sure if you have seen any of my other posts - I have actually tried the PX4flow sensor.  I am having flight stability issues - hovering in the same spot, etc.

Have you already tried flying one?  I am curious to compare your RTF experience to mine.

• 4. Re: Connecting Ultra Wide Band Module - best practice ?
                Intel Corporation

Hi trgiman,

If the Marvelmind  module is sending NMEA 0183 format GPS data then you can simply disconnect the GPS and use this module. The external compass is powered by the same connector as the GPS, so you would need to adapt the connector to keep providing power to the GPS/compass. PX4 should be able to read the data from this module at any frequency.

Please keep in mind that we have not tested this module. If you do test this setup please share your results with the community! 

Regards,
                Jesus

• 5. Re: Connecting Ultra Wide Band Module - best practice ?
                  trgiman

Hi Jesus,

Thank you. Just to be sure. You are referring to ready to flight kit right? Not standalone AeroBoard connected with Pixhawk 2 Flight controller. Right?

1. Related question. In regards of the Intel RealSense z300. I have found out that the range is very low...like only 3 meters. So we can not use it as Video Flow sensor in our case (Intel has newer Realsense modules, but those are also only with 10 meters range correct, any other options? For instance Guidance from DJI has got 20 meters. Any Intel based alternatives please?). Please correct me if I am missing here some points. Also any recommended camera with at least 2x Optical Zoom, that we can control from Aeroboard (the one from Yuneec on Instructables can not be controller via Intel Ros packages). Resolution does not have to be 4k).

2. Alternative. We could also connect MarvelMind to AeroBoard and use SensorFusion Ros packages to mix data from IMU with MarvelMind sensor data...correct?

Sure I will share results...

• 6. Re: Connecting Ultra Wide Band Module - best practice ?
                    Intel Corporation

Hi trgiman,

Yes, I am referring to the Intel Aero Ready-to-Fly drone. As you mentioned the RealSense cameras do have a range that may not meet your requirements. At the moment I am not aware of any other Intel Solution. 

I am not sure if you can mix data from the IMU with MarvelMind from SensorFusion Ros package as I have not explored this myself.

Regards,
                    Jesus