4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 5:37 AM by Intel Corporation

Creating a non-UEFI firmware

venda.plavec

Hi,

I am trying to develop an independent operating system for the Intel Galileo platform and I would like to ask you a few questions about it.

1. How are the contents of the flash chip initialized to the RAM or how much is the Intel Quark SoC X1000 automatic in this task?

2. How is the structure of the flash chip contents organized, if there is any agreed concept of structure (besides that the chip starts to read code from 0xFFFF0)?

3. If I would like to avoid using an existing BIOS (as the image of Coreboot with SeaBios for example I tried to compile with its utilities was weirdly organized (everything, God knows why, was placed in the top 2 MB as well as the boot sequence (last 16 Bytes))),
           what activities should my binary do prior to initializing a custom non-UEFI OS (in terms of initializing PCI devices etc.) and where could I find a summary of them?

4. How could I compile an OS/firmwareentirely written in assembly with the Intel syntax to a pure binary to upload it to the flash when it is divided into a 16-bit and a 32-bit segment and where could I find information about it?

I am a student intending to use this as an objective of my diploma thesis, so I would really appreciate any helpful answer. Thank you in advance.

Václav Plavec