9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2018 1:10 PM by Willbedone

Intel DSA keeps looping back to install page on website. How do you get it to scan for driver updates?

rallin

I've installed Intel DSA (Driver and Support Assistant) on my Dell laptop (Windows 10, 64bit, Home Ed.), but every time I direct it to 'check for new drivers' it just loops back to the install page on the Intel website. How does one actually get it to scan for driver updates?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Intel DSA keeps looping back to install page on website. How do you get it to scan for driver updates?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello rallin,

I understand you are trying to download driver updates for your Dell* computer.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer.  Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

What is the issue you are having in your computer that is making you update drivers?

To attach a file, you must click “Use Advanced Editor” on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the “attach” option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,
          Fred D.

• 2. Re: Intel DSA keeps looping back to install page on website. How do you get it to scan for driver updates?
            rallin

Re: What is the issue you are having in your computer that is making you update drivers?

I had a problem with my wifi adapter but successfully updated the Intel driver and resolved the problem. In the process I discovered the 'driver and support assistant' and would like to get it working.

Attached is the SSU file you requested.

BTW, I don't use a proxy.

Thanks for your help.

rallin

• 3. Re: Intel DSA keeps looping back to install page on website. How do you get it to scan for driver updates?
              Intel Corporation

Hello rallin,

Thanks for the information you sent to me.

Bear in mind that our Intel® Driver & Support Assistant has been mainly designed for Intel motherboards.  We cannot guarantee our utility will be able to work fine on every OEM system.

Another thing I noticed is that Dell* has validated up to Windows 8* for your specific computer model so there are no drivers available for Windows 10*. 

If your computer is currently working fine then there is no need to update any other driver.  If you are having problems with your computer the best option would be reinstalling the operating system that came with the computer so you can have drivers for it.  You can reinstall the operating system using the Dell* recovery discs.  This link will show you how to get them http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/dell-backup-solutions/Media-backup

Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry.

Regards,
              Fred D.

• 5. Re: Intel DSA keeps looping back to install page on website. How do you get it to scan for driver updates?
                Intel Corporation

Hello ilGimmy,

Thank you for joining the thread.

I am sorry to hear you are also having issues with Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

In order to assist you better with the specific problem you are having in your computer I recommend creating a new thread.  Please make sure you add all of the details of your computer so we can get more information about the problem.

Regards,
                Fred D.

• 6. Re: Intel DSA keeps looping back to install page on website. How do you get it to scan for driver updates?
                  Willbedone

re Fred D's reply, this was wrong on several counts.

Since Fred says "Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry", here is my comment.

I hope it's helpful.

Firstly, the question was about "Intel DSA keeps looping back to install page on website".

So, your reply was frustrating when I first came here, because it went off on a tangent.

The DSA web page (v1.0.2 I think it was) sent us round in circles asking us to "please install an up-to-date DSA" (which it already was).

That is why I came here, but in the course of my collecting info for the actual problem, the DSA was updated to v2.0 which corrected the everlasting request. So, well done INTEL, if a little slow.

Did you report it as a website error? You didn't say.

Anyway, fixed.

At that time, it wouldn't scan the computer.

Now it does, it finds a problem, but reports no updates available. (I do not believe it; I reckon there is an update, not offered.)

Bear in mind that our Intel® Driver & Support Assistant has been mainly designed for Intel motherboards.  We cannot guarantee our utility will be able to work fine on every OEM system.

Understood there are no guarantees, but some INTEL changes are quite important (such as those to guard against recently exposed  major CPU exploits, say) therefore in my view should be applied. Cautiously, after a degree of information research.

To say the don't generally apply is simply wrong.

Another thing I noticed is that Dell* has validated up to Windows 8* for your specific computer model ...

Irrelevant. It's completely irrelevant what an OEM such as Dell does or does not get round to doing (or even if a manufacturer went bust).. Dell and many other manufacturers can be pretty lax with older models; it would be a business decision not a technical one. I suspect Dell sub-contracts ongoing support to people who don't give-a-damn, then they do not monitor the situation. (I've been around that loop before.)

... so there are no drivers available for Windows 10*.

Wrong. There certainly are updated INTEL drivers that would apply to older models, in most cases would work fine, and be safer/better. Some other OEMs would already have incorporated these in their updates, but (in this instance) not Dell.

End-users should be helped to find & install these latest INTEL drivers (& in some cases firmware) for their INTEL chips, with a suitable caveat & instructions.

The "support assistant" getting in the way of this (or giving misleading info) is hardly helpful. it just means we the users have to spend a lot more time digging. (which is made increasingly difficult). And that time 'wasted' is wasted by many such users.

Please take note, policy-makers.

If your computer is currently working fine then there is no need to update any other driver.

NO. As I've already said, there are things such as Critical Firmware Update (Intel-SA-00086) which ought to be applied if relevant (there's a tool to find out). (OK. technically that may be firmware.)

Your computer will "work fine" without these until your system is attacked. Then it won't and you are stuffed, unneccessarily.

What is more, a piece of kit may work fine, but could work better.

Which is why people like me try the DSA when they buy a second-hand box, not expecting it to be such a waste of time. Hence the feedback.

If you are having problems with your computer the best option would be reinstalling the operating system that came with the computer so you can have drivers for it.  You can reinstall the operating system using the Dell* recovery discs.  This link will show you how to get them http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/dell-backup-solutions/Media-backup

Maybe, but those are likely to be out of date & unmaintained (as I said, and they were last I looked).

Dell hasn't noticed Win 10 yet, it's only been a couple of years. The site says they'll get around to it soon, but then they went for coffee & fell into a deep  asleep.

Talking of which, Win 10 supplies generic drivers (largely regardless of OEM). Which are out of date.

And, reinstalling Windows is a major undertaking (refresh is marginally less destructive, I'm told.)

• 7. Re: Intel DSA keeps looping back to install page on website. How do you get it to scan for driver updates?
                    Willbedone
                    Posting this again because it appeared as reply to rallin rather than to Fred

re Fred D's reply, this was wrong on several counts.

Since Fred says "Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry", here is my comment.

I hope it's helpful.

Firstly, the question was about "Intel DSA keeps looping back to install page on website".

So, your reply was frustrating when I first came here, because it went off on a tangent.

The DSA web page (v1.0.2 I think it was) sent us round in circles asking us to "please install an up-to-date DSA" (which it already was).

That is why I came here, but in the course of my collecting info for the actual problem, the DSA was updated to v2.0 which corrected the everlasting request. So, well done INTEL, if a little slow.

Did you report it as a website error? You didn't say.

Anyway, fixed.

At that time, it wouldn't scan the computer.

Now it does, it finds a problem, but reports no updates available. (I do not believe it; I reckon there is an update, not offered.)

Understood there are no guarantees, but some INTEL changes are quite important (such as those to guard against recently exposed  major CPU exploits, say) therefore in my view should be applied. Cautiously, after a degree of information research.

To say the don't generally apply is simply wrong.

Another thing I noticed is that Dell* has validated up to Windows 8* for your specific computer model ...

Irrelevant. It's completely irrelevant what an OEM such as Dell does or does not get round to doing (or even if a manufacturer went bust).. Dell and many other manufacturers can be pretty lax with older models; it would be a business decision not a technical one. I suspect Dell sub-contracts ongoing support to people who don't give-a-damn, then they do not monitor the situation. (I've been around that loop before.)

... so there are no drivers available for Windows 10*.

Wrong. There certainly are updated INTEL drivers that would apply to older models, in most cases would work fine, and be safer/better. Some other OEMs would already have incorporated these in their updates, but (in this instance) not Dell.

End-users should be helped to find & install these latest INTEL drivers (& in some cases firmware) for their INTEL chips, with a suitable caveat & instructions.

The "support assistant" getting in the way of this (or giving misleading info) is hardly helpful. it just means we the users have to spend a lot more time digging. (which is made increasingly difficult). And that time 'wasted' is wasted by many such users.

Please take note, policy-makers.

If your computer is currently working fine then there is no need to update any other driver.

NO. As I've already said, there are things such as Critical Firmware Update (Intel-SA-00086) which ought to be applied if relevant (there's a tool to find out). (OK. technically that may be firmware.)

Your computer will "work fine" without these until your system is attacked. Then it won't and you are stuffed, unneccessarily.

What is more, a piece of kit may work fine, but could work better.

Which is why people like me try the DSA when they buy a second-hand box, not expecting it to be such a waste of time. Hence the feedback.

If you are having problems with your computer the best option would be reinstalling the operating system that came with the computer so you can have drivers for it.  You can reinstall the operating system using the Dell* recovery discs.  This link will show you how to get them http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/dell-backup-solutions/Media-backup

Maybe, but those are likely to be out of date & unmaintained (as I said, and they were last I looked).

Dell hasn't noticed Win 10 yet, it's only been a couple of years. The site says they'll get around to it soon, but then they went for coffee & fell into a deep  asleep.

Talking of which, Win 10 supplies generic drivers (largely regardless of OEM). Which are out of date.

And, reinstalling Windows is a major undertaking (refresh is marginally less destructive, I'm told.)

• 8. Re: Intel DSA keeps looping back to install page on website. How do you get it to scan for driver updates?
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Willbedone,

Thank you for your response,

If you have any inquiry or need any help, please open your own thread since this one has already been solved. We apologize for any inconvenience, we handle every case individually and every scenario is different even if the same product is being used. The next agent will be able to further assist you on this matter.

Regards,
                      David V

• 9. Re: Intel DSA keeps looping back to install page on website. How do you get it to scan for driver updates?
                        Willbedone

Yes, I saw it was already closed, and it has an answer.

The problem is, the answer is wrong.

What is your policy about bringing wrong  answers to the attention of everyone concerned?

Should they be revised or removed?

Why is there no provision for users to warn other users, "this accepted answer is wrong"?

There is little point in raising that as another question.

And, do I just get another automated reply? Probably. Let's see. If so, not a robust system.

My policy is to speak out.

Since this reply comes up as the first result to several searches, and there appears to be be no correct answer to my own problem regarding the e6520, I felt that adding my views would be a help to:

• other users
                        • the writer of the wrong answer
                        • INTEL