Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

The Intel(R) Optane(TM) Memory Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s).

AGasp
Novice

I am using the RST software but there is an automatic service iaStorAfsService.exe(Intel(R) Optane(TM) Memory Service) which won't start.

If I try start it manually I get the followin

Is this normal?

The RST software does not complain and the Optane+hdd volume seems working fine.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
AGasp
Novice

Ok this is getting worse.

I have reinstalled Windows and now the RST software won't detect Optane Memory.

Windows sees it and also the Intel SSD tool. Put the disk offline in Windows Disk management.

Did Windows 2016 latest CU. Rebooted.

Tried with the Optane Memory (non RST) software. Uninstall-Reboot. The software installer fails to lauch.

Back to RST. Install-Reboot.

Bios:

Checked CSM-UEFI.

Checked M.2 slot managed by RST.

Put the Optane in Non-Raid.

Still in RST when I click Enable I am not presented with anything to choose.

Also I have noticed there are checkdisk errors in the second partition of the boot drive. And they won't get fixed by the Windows checkdisk.

Please help.

I would also like to recover my install from a Veeam backup. But I think I need to enable the Optane raid volume first. Am I right?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lonblu,

We realized that you are testing this running the system with Windows* Server 2016. Remember that for the Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology to work, you need to use Windows® 10 64Bit installed in a SATA boot drive.

Could you please share logs about this? (Please attach the logs from this location: C:\Users\Yourusername\Intel\Logs).

Regards,

Nestor C

0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

Windows 2016 is supported with Optane Memory.

It used to work.

I tried to disable the Optane+hdd volume and the system failed to reboot, hence I have reinstalled windows.

But I would like to recover my Veeam backup!!!

0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

Now I have enable the Smart acceleration and there is no error in the drive cheking. But I want optane volume, not raid!

Now I have enable the Smart acceleration and there is no error in the drive cheking. But I want optane volume, not raid!

0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

The FAQs speak about the NVMe controller for detection issues.

It seems it cannot detect the optane otherwise. I have tried to remove the driver, rebooted, but it gets installed again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lonblu,

We have never tested Intel® Optane™ Memory with Microsoft* Windows* Server 2016, but based on your setup, you could try maybe to remove all other drives first and then just try to enable Intel® Optane™ and let us know the outcome.

We will be reviewing this situation with our team as well.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

For the moment I don't trust Optane.

I have reinstalled the Windows 2016 on SSD and now it is detected.

But I won't activate it again till next software update.

I am testing the Smart Response in raid 0, which at least does not require reboot.

There should be something like Optane Smart Response.

0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

I have reinstalled on Windows 10 latest update.

Same issues: the Optane service fails to start, and the boot fails after Optane disabling. No error during disabling.

I have open another support ticket, but after many questions and poor answers, they decided to close the ticket saying:

"

"

Please understand that as you are using a 3rd party motherboard manufactured by ASUS, the support we can provide you is very limited. We suggest that you contact ASUS for support on this issue as we are not familiar with the motherboard, BIOS and how Optane should be set up on your system. Please follow this link to request for support from ASUS: https://www.asus.com/support/ https://www.asus.com/support/ As our support is limited and as we have no further suggestions, we will proceed by closing this case. If you have any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact Intel Customer Support again. We hope that ASUS will be able to assist you.

"

"

So now Optane seems to be working now, but the Optane service is still unable to start, and is throwing the error in the title when you try manually, and sometimes the errors start appearing every half an hour, till reboot.

I don't know how Asus can help me in this.

Intel, what is the expected behaviour of the Optane Memory service on an RST install?

Intel, is normal that boot fails after disabling?

Please fix...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi lonblu,

This is not an expected behavior for the Intel® Optane™ Memory with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) software.

We will further investigate on this, we will keep you posted with any updates.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi lonblu,

We already tested the Intel® Optane™ Memory with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) software in our lab.

We got similar errors when we tried to start the service manually. The reason is that this service enables the performance and responsiveness by accelerating frequently used files if you are not accessing those files you can not manually start the service because the system does not require that. This service is not intended to be active all the time. It is activated by the system only when is needed.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

5 days uptime, with 10 virtual machines running (1 only in the volume)

The system is working fine.

But the errors are not nice, and disk corruption has already occurred. That happens if I try to disable Optane from the Rst software. Should I try from the Bios instead?

How would I check? The Ssd tool of Intel scans allright. green

And those services are not in Automatic by default, they are in Manual rather.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi lonblu,

Thanks for the reply. We would like to inform you that in our Lab the services not in Automatic by default they are Manual instead, it seems that the software controls those services manually.

Please bear in mind that the Optane™ is intended to be running all the time, is there any specific reason why you need to disable the module?

Could you please confirm the workload of the virtual machine? Also, what do you mean when you say that you are using 10 virtual machines (1 only in the volume)?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

I meant to say that an Automatic service is supposed to be running. But I don't know for sure.

I don't run any VM in the volume hdd+optane, because I have SSDs.

Now and then I start some VM saved in the volume.

It was suggested by your support to disable Optane and reinstall Windows. If you try you get the volume corrupted. So far the corruption seem to have healed after a few checkdisk reboots.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi lonblu,

Thanks for the information. Please keep in mind that the software controls the service so you do not need to start it because it only starts when the system is accelerating frequently used files.

Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility. Run the scan selecting "Everything." Save this report and upload.

To enable attachments, make sure to select the option to "use advanced editor" while replying.

We look forward to hearing back from you

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

uploaded on the private area

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi lonblu,

Thanks for the logs provided.

Based on that, we would like to inform you that Optane™ is intended to be used for end users in a normal environment, it is not intended to be in an enterprise environment.

We have seen reports with customers using Optane™ in configurations that are not supported and making it work. However, the product is not designed for this kind of configurations and errors are expected.

We recommend you to test the Optane™ without virtual machines installed.

Feel free to share any outputs of the situation.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

As I told you I don't run VMs on the volume very often.

But I will check if the first starting of a VM after reboot will cause the service issue.

By the way I am not sure what you mean with

"end users in a normal environment, it is not intended to be in an enterprise environment. "

There are many requirements for Optane, but this is not mentioned in the Faq.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi lonblu,

We would like to inform you that our Optane™ Memory is not intended for enterprise/datacenter applications since this is a Consumer product, not a datacenter product. The reason why we haven't performed any validations on Windows* server OS's or hardware and software in that application area.

Feel free to share any outputs of your test.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

There are other logs in the history of the Task scheduled to start that service.

ID103

Task Scheduler failed to start instance "{07bb9102-1d51-4cf7-aec4-9c3b7370b806}" of "\Intel\Intel(R) Optane(TM) Memory - Volume Optimization" task for user "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" . Additional Data: Error Value: 2148007941.

ID202

Task Scheduler failed to complete task "\Intel\Intel(R) Optane(TM) Memory - Volume Optimization" , instance "{07bb9102-1d51-4cf7-aec4-9c3b7370b806}" , action "Scheduler Class" . Additional Data: Error Value: 2148007941.

0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

It is actually making VMs faster, I don't see why not using it now and then, or on a regular basis.

I understand the development takes time, and I am here just to accelerate.

I work as It technician, so I seek perfection, and will share further.

Thanks for your time.

And Asus closed my case after I replied their first email

We are extremely sorry to hear that you are facing issues with your PRIME Z270-K.

Please run a "reset to optimized default settings" in BIOS in order to reset the settings, also follow the - ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 procedure, as it stand in the http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z270-K/E11864_PRIME_Z270-K_UM_web.pdf?_ga=2.220580952.1160849022.1511177892-1315671991.1496298649 User Manual, in order to reflash the BIOS.

Intel Optane Technology is only supported when using 7th Generation Intel processors. Before using Intel Optane memory modules, ensure that you have updated the motherboard drivers and BIOS to the latest version from ASUS product page.

0 Kudos