Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

G4600 performance of HD 630 w/o AVX/AVX2

JLena
Novice

I need a kaby lake processor for decoding 4k video in Netflix and YouTube. While both the Pentium G4600 and the i3 have the HD 630, the Pentium lacks AVX/AVX2. I've been reading that both codecs rely heavily on AVX2. I'd like to know if the Pentium is significantly crippled by the lack of AVX2 when it comes to decoding 4k video, when compared to the i3. Will Netflix 4k streaming be supported no the Pentium? What other performance implications come from a lack of AVX2 support (as it pertains to an HTPC running Windows 10).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jun1us,

Thank you for joining the Graphics Community.

That will depend on the apps you will be using, actually for the most accurate answer our recommendation is to contact the app developer for more information. They should be able to let you know if there is an improvement or a decrease on the performance while using AVX/AVX2. Regarding the Netflix question, your https://ark.intel.com/products/97486/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G4600T-3M-Cache-3_00-GHz Intel® Pentium® Processor G4600T (3M Cache, 3.00 GHz) Product Specifications supports 4K resolution, but you need to double check with their support for the hardware and software requirements.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
JLena
Novice

Hi Amy,

I just picked up the G4600 last night and tested it in my HTPC.

I was able to stream 4k @ 60 hz from youtube. The CPU fluctuated between 50% and 100% utilization. I had about 2-5% dropped frames.

I was also able to use Netflix Ultra HD, using their app in WIndows 10. The decoding tasked the CPU up to 50% (cycling between around 15 and 50) and the GPU at 60% more or less sustained.

I have a 50 mbps connection over ethernet. The rest of my hardware is 8 GB DDR4 @ 2133 and Intel 600p M.2 512 GB SSD.

I run an LG TV at 3840x2160 @ 60 hz over DP to HDMI 2.0 adaptor.

Hope this is in line with other people's experience using a similar setup.

idata
Employee

Thank you for this /thread/118913 jun1us, I am pretty sure it will help other users in the community.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos