5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2017 4:53 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Intel motherboard DZ68DB bios eeprom image construction

Ahnic

Hi, I am one of the victims of the Intel motherboard DZ68DB bios bug/fault. I follow the Intel instruction to upgrade the bios from version 0014 to transition bios version 0032 then to 0043 for Gen 3 cpu using F7 method. However when I upgrade from 32 to 43, it suddenly gets black screen and brick the motherboard. I then follow the bios recovery procedures which are definite NOT working because all the usb ports and sata ports (for CD rom) are not activated if the bios is corrupted during 32 to 43 upgrade. Now I only hope that someone can provide me the steps to construction a working eeprom bios image from the corrupted bios chip and official .bio file. I can desolder the bios chip flash/program it and solder it for real recovery. Many thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Intel motherboard DZ68DB bios eeprom image construction
          N.Scott.Pearson

Sorry, this is just not possible. In order to do a base install of the flash contents, you need the firmware in BIN form and you need special tools for setting the MAC Address and board identification fields. Intel, per its security policies, does not make these available to end users under any circumstances.

Frankly, the only thing you could do is clone the flash component of another DZ68DB board. If you did so, however, your board would be a clone of this other board, and have the same identity and same MAC address. All sorts of issues would then arise. I certainly would not want anyone cloning my board's firmware.

Sorry,

...S

• 2. Re: Intel motherboard DZ68DB bios eeprom image construction
            Ahnic

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for your reply. Can we obtain the MAC, board id and other info from the existing corrupted bios chip? Also I really hope that someone can give a eeprom bin for me to flash the corrupted bios. I think being the same MAC and broad id may not be an issue especially the out of warranty board.

• 3. Re: Intel motherboard DZ68DB bios eeprom image construction
              N.Scott.Pearson

Are you kidding? The MAC address is the board's identity on the internet. Two boards with same MAC address will cause packet routing and various other issues.

The board's identity information is stored in encrypted form within the firmware flash. Without special tools, there is no way to modify.

Bottom line, you simply cannot use one board to bootstrap another. Doing so will disaffect the board used for its image. This is why no one should provide theirs - not unless they do not plan to ever use that board again (either).

...S

• 4. Re: Intel motherboard DZ68DB bios eeprom image construction
                Ahnic

Are you kidding kidding?  Unless both same MAC address boards are directly connected to public internet router e.g ISP colocation servers, there may be routing issue. Otherwise normal PCs  with same MAC on different LANs with same private IP at home with have NO issue. A lot of VM (Virutal Machines) have same MAC and private IP running in this world on different LANs have NO issue.

• 5. Re: Intel motherboard DZ68DB bios eeprom image construction
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Look, I am not going to argue with you. Two boards are not supposed to have the same physical address. The fact that routers provide a level of abstraction doesn't matter; the MAC Address is used for too many other things in board and system identification, UUID/GUID generation, etc. and etc.

The board's identity information is all right there on the stickers on the board; you don't even have to power up the board to get it. The problem is that this won't do you any good. This information is stored in encrypted buffers and you need a special tool from Intel to change it - a tool that Intel will not provide to you under any circumstances.

Bottom line, copy someone's flash and you are copying his board's identity. If you can talk someone into allowing you to do this, be my guest. It won't be me and I don't recommend that anyone else do so. End of discussion.

...S