1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2017 3:07 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure

jhkokst

I recently build a system with following specs:

Intel Core i5-6500 6MB Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 1

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8G) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Laptop Memory Model F4-2133C15D-16GRS 1

ASRock Deskmini 110W Intel Socket LGA1151 Intel H110 2 x 260Pin SO-DIMM

Samsung 850 evo

Running Windows 10

I am getting frequent Video_TDR_Failures.  I had updated to the most recent integrated graphics drivers, but with those my system was unusable - it would BSOD/crash every few minutes.  I reverted to the dekmini mobo's default video driver VGA(v21.20.16.4542) which typically allows me to at least use my system.  But if i try to game (starcraft II, low settings), or even if I'm watching a youtube video, I can end up witht his Video_TDR_Failure.

I tried the intel processor diagnostic tool, and my system froze right after the GPU test (said pass), but then on the CPU stress i got the video_TDR_Failure.

Please help

• 1. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello jhkokst,

Thank you for joining the Intel® Community. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this matter.

Could you please let us know what Intel® HD Graphics driver versions you have tested?

When did the issue start?

What its your Windows® 10 build version?

Regards,

Amy C.

• 2. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
            jhkokst

intel gfx driver I'm running is: 21.20.16.4542.  This at least allows me to browse and email.  It was the default on the ASROCK Deskimini's website.

I'm not entirely sure which version I tested before, but about 10 days ago I used the auto-update utility to whatever was "newest" at the time, and got very frequent BSODs and VIDEO_TDR_Failures.

Windows Build: 1703 OS Build 15063.674

Of note, earlier in the year (February to summer), I would get screen flickers (to black) on some occasions, but then the screen would come back and things would continue as normal.  Now, typically, when my screen flickers - its a black screen of death.  Occasionally it will then go to the blue screen with the Video TDR Failure, sometimes it just hangs (i can hear sometimes hear or video if it was running prior).  Other times i need to power down and restart.

Please advise.

• 3. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
              Intel Corporation

jhkokst, thank you for that information.

Then let's try the latest driver from our end: Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]. Use the following method for the installation: Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows... 

Regards,

Amy C.

• 4. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
                jhkokst

Tried new driver. Downloaded zip file, extracted, installed.  Computer froze on reboot.  Had to power down.  After successful reboot, I tested with youtube video.  Computer froze (no blue screen).  Attempted another youtube video, again froze.  Rebooted again, after a few minutes - I get video_tdr_failure blue screen (igdkmd64.sys).  This now happens ever few minutes after reboot.  I can't even get to this intel page w/o it happening.  Had to use another computer to write this post.

So in summary, the new 15.45 drivers make matters worse, with very frequent freezes and bsods with the video_tdr_failure blue screen (igdkmd64.sys) error.

Next steps?

• 5. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
                  Intel Corporation

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Is there any chance to test an older Intel® HD Graphics version? I recommend the following: Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45] 

Regards,

Amy C. 

• 6. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
                    jhkokst

For now i reverted back to v21.20.16.4542 because it allows me to at least function. Is it necessary for me to continue with different drivers, or is there some wort of hardware diagnostic I should be performing?  Is this a known issue?

• 7. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
                      jhkokst

As I said, I'm now using the v21.20.16.4542 driver because it allows basic functioning of my computer (internet, email, etc.).  Anything demanding still results in crashes though.

For example: I tried the IntelProcessor Diagnostic Tool 64bit using the old v21.20.16.4542 driver.  It "passes" everything up to CPU Load.  During CPU load, i get the video_tdr_failure.  I'm not sure if this information is helpful, but does this mean there is a problem with the chip itself?

• 8. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
                        jhkokst

So I reset windows...and things seem to be working better.

I am now running Windows Build 15063.0

Graphics Driver 22.20.16.4749

I plan to do some tests (Intel Diagnostic utility, video tests, and some gaming tests).  But right now things seem to be working betters, no crashes.  I really think there is something not working correctly between the latest windows 10 creator update from September and current HD gfx drivers. This problem really surfaced in the last month or 2.

I'll post back if there are more crashes.  If you would like me to test something else, I'm happy to try

• 9. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
                          jhkokst

I take all that back.  This morning I had 2 video tdr failures. Both occurred while I was trying to install software.

I was downloading starcraft II, first crash.

Then I downloaded the 850 EVO's magician software (to see if there was a firmware update for windows), and it crashed during that download as well.

Frustrating.

• 10. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
                            jhkokst

Ok. Perusing the Intel support community, I see that there are lots of issues with the 15.46 drivers, especially waking up from sleep mode.  This is also a problem I was running into on accasion.  I am not sure why my computer was crashing so much in other scenarios, but I really feel like this must be some sort of driver issue not mixing well with windows updates.

I have since changed to this driver:

This was linked on another thread posted here at intel support as an Asrock driver.  I will see if it works.  I guess the next step would be to look into updating the Asrock Bios to a newer version.

I will continue to look into and test this matter.

To the Intel moderator, please let me know if you want me to provide you with any scan or diagnostic results that may help us.

• 11. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
                              jhkokst

I apologize for the flurry of responses.

So I updated my ASROCK bios to version 7.2, the most recent from Sept 2017. My SSD appears to have up to date firmware.  Not sure how to best test RAM.

Windows forced an update to version: 1703 Build 15063.674

Still running gfx driver: 21.20.16.4727

The Bios update and windows update happened at the same time.  On reboot, my computer froze right before the desktop loaded...???

Powered down, restarted. Got to desktop. Ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool:  As before, black screen during CPU load test. However this time i just waited to see if I got a blue screen.  After about 1 minute, my desktop returned and the Intel Processor DIagnostic Tool reported "Pass" on all tests.  Really bizarre about that black screen.

That is where I am at.  I am not confident that anything is resolved... I will post if i get more crashes.  Moderator, let me know if you want me to test anything else.

• 12. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
                                Intel Corporation

Regarding your question on post #7, I do not believe there is a problem with the processors since the issue started with some updates.

If you get more blue screens, please let me know.

In the meantime, let's try to update your Chipset driver in Safe Mode, let's try this too with the Intel® HD Graphics driver. Find the driver here: ASRock > DeskMini 110 Series, see the steps below.

Safe Mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Uninstall the driver Intel® HD Graphics from Device Manger while in Safe Mode:

1. Open the Device Manager.
                                2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
                                3. Find the Intel Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
                                4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
                                5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
                                6. Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.

Then, install the Chipset driver from ASRock site and finally install any of the Intel® HD Graphics drivers again.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 13. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
                                  jhkokst

This is starting to get jumbled up but here are the afternoon events.

With Driver: 15.45.20.64.4727

OS Build: 1709 16299.19

I played about 10 minutes of Starcraft II on low settings, as my CPU began to work a little harder, video skipped and then I got a  TDR_Delay error (black screen followed by blue screen).  On reboot, my computer hung on the load screen and got TDR_Delay error again (just prior to reaching desktop).  On 2nd reboot, i got to desktop, and within seconds it TDR_Delay errored again after opening chrome.  I powered off, waited a few seconds, got back to desktop and then followed your instructions from previous message.

After I delete the driver in safemode however, upon reboot Windows is faster than me and automatically installs one of the 22.x drivers.  I Installed the VGA(v21.20.16.4542) driver from Deskmini's site (is that what you mean by Chipset driver?).  I just used the setup installer in the zip file. It installed it "over" the auto updated driver (22.x) that windows had previously installed. And now I am writing to you. 

So currently:

Gfx driver: 21.20.16.4542

OS Build: 1709 16299.19

Other things to note.  I'm using the mobos realtek sound chip + headphones, I'm using a Dell U2415 24 inch monitor in native 1920 x 1200 resolution 60hz.

CPU/gfx stress definitely appears to prompt the problem.  That said, Intel 530 should be able to allow me to surf the internet, watch a youtube video, and play a game like Starcraft on low settings without this sort of crashing.

• 14. Re: Intel HD 530 with frequent Video_TDR_Failure
                                    jhkokst

And just for comparison sake - When I first built this computer in January of this year, I could stress the system with a benchmark like 3dmark and it would complete the benchmark w/o crashing. 

1 2 Previous Next