1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2017 2:52 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)

MikTo

Hi,

After purchasing a NUC7i3BNK for my aunt as a desktop replacement (only some light internet and office work) I installed the NUC on my LG IPS277l (1920x1080) via HDMI. No issues so far.

Unfortunately when installing the NUC at my aunt's screen (a Dell professional 2009W 20" screen with DVI-D and VGA connections) on the NUC's HDMI port with a HDMI to DVI cable the screen starts flickering in certain circumstances.

After some troubleshooting I noticed it only occurs so far on the 1680x1050 resolution (59 or 60hz doesn't make a difference) which is the recommended resolution for this screen. When setting the monitor to a lower resolution it doesn't occur so far.

I believe after reading the forum topics about screen flickering/dropouts that it is a driver related problem, since on other resolutions everything is ok so cables etc. should be fine.

I have already installed the most recent bios (0052) and updated the nuc to all the most recent drivers via the Intel Driver & Support Assistant. Then I tried the recommended older display driver in the main screen flickering topic (4771) and the HDMI 2.0 firmware update, but the flickering is still there.

(just to be clear, the screen stays ON all the time, it just glitches so no black screen on/off as reported with some 4k monitors)

I have uploaded a video of the problem:

NUC7i3BNK screen flickering - YouTube

Hope there is a solution for this problem, thank you in advance for looking into it.

Mik

• 1. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi : Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® NUC communities. We are sorry to hear the NUC is not working as expected.

For this scenario, the problem could be related to the HDMI to DVI adapter, since the NUC works fine when you use the HDMI straight connection.
          Do you have the option to use a different HDMI to DVI adapter or cable?

Could you please try to install the graphics driver version 4815:
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27199/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-47-?product=96551

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
            N.Scott.Pearson

If it helps, this is the dongle that I use: Amazon.com: HDMI to DVI, Rankie 2-Pack Gold-plated 1080P HDMI HDTV to DVI (Male to Female) Adapter Converter (Black). Even with a 4-port KVM between the NUC and the monitor, I have absolutely no issues with 1080p support. Picture is clean and crisp and there's no flicker, flashing or artifacts at all.

...S

• 3. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
              MikTo

Hi Alberto R,

Thank you for your quick response. As far as I am aware the cable is OK, since other resolutions work fine? I checked and the only resolutions which trigger the problem are 1680x1050 (monitors recommended resolution) and 1400x1050 (59 or 60hz doesnt make a difference, other options arent available). Next time I will be at my Aunts place I will install the driver version 4815 and report back with the results

If that won't work, I could always check N. Scott Pearson's dongle tip. (thanks for that!)

Best regards, Mik

• 4. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
                Intel Corporation

You are welcome. Perfect, no problem, take your time and once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                Alberto R

• 5. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
                  Intel Corporation

I just wanted to check if you were able to test the graphics driver 4815 and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,
                  Alberto R

• 6. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
                    MikTo

Thanks for checking up on the problem Alberto. Tomorrow I am visiting my aunt again and are going to try the 4815 driver. I’ll inform you on the results tomorrow!

best regards, Mik

• 7. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
                      Intel Corporation

: You are welcome. Perfect, no problem at all, take your time to do the test and to provide the results.

Regards,
                      Alberto R

• 8. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
                        MikTo

Hi Alberto,

Sorry it took some time to get back to you. I tried installing the 4815 driver via the link you provided, but I get the error "the driver isn't validated for this computer, ask the manufacturer for the correct driver" (translated from Dutch to English since the error message is in Dutch) and the installer shuts down automatically. There is an option to ask for more information which opens up the following intel error page: Error Message: Computer Manufacturer Graphics Driver Detected

So in short, I could not install the 4815 driver.

I did another check for new drivers and everything was up-to-date, except for the intel management driver which I tried to update, but the installer only gave the option to repair the installation or remove the driver. When I tried repair the installer does its thing and after restarting the computer the intel update manager still displays there is a new driver available (version 11.7.0.1017 from june 19, 2017) and version 11.7.0.1014 is installed, so no update occurred.

I tried removing the intel management engine driver and clean install the 11.7.0.1017 driver, but it seems that windows update automatically installs 11.0.0.1166 before I can even open the new driver installer? After installing the newest update (11.7.0.1017) the intel driver update manager shows version 11.7.0.1014 is installed and there is still the 11.7.0.1017 update… I don’t think this is something linked to the display flickering? But I wanted to give you the full update, that everything is up-to-date except that specific intel management engine driver. The problem seems the same as in this topic:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/105873

Is the management engine driver related to the screen? Since the computer is connected to a Dell screen which gives the flickering problem.

Any other options for resolving the flickering problem? The computer keeps running fine on resolutions which don’t have the vertical resolution of 1050 (1680x1050 and 1400x1050 gives the flickering problem, other resolutions don’t so the computer now runs on 1600x900, one resolution lower than the recommended resolution of the monitor which is 1680x1050).

Thank you for your help, Mik

• 9. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
                          Intel Corporation

Hi No problem at all. Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

In regard to your inquiry, the management engine driver is related to different functions on the computer, as long as the driver is installed, even if it is an older version, the display should work properly, it is not commonly the source for display issues.

In this case, based on the fact that there is no problem when using an HDMI straight cable, then the problem could be related to the HDMI to DVI adapter. The next thing to do as it was mentioned previously, if you have the option of course, will be to test the NUC with a different HDMI to DVI adapter.

On the link below you will find the list of tested peripherals for the NUC, where you will see some adapters that were tested by Intel as fully compatible:

http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC&productType=Kits&productName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC%20Kit%20NUC7i3BNK

Regards,
                          Alberto R

• 10. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
                            MikTo

Thank you for your quick response. I don't have any other HDMI -> DVI cables but bear in mind the test with the HDMI straight cable was on a different screen with a different resolution. So since other resolutions (besides 1680x1050 and 1400x1050) work fine on the current display I tend to think the problem lies in the resolution/drivers not the cable, but I will try to get a different cable and test with it.

Best regards, Mik

• 11. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
                              Intel Corporation

You are very welcome. Thank you very much for letting us know that information. Perfect, take your time and once you get the chance please let us know the results. And yes, the problem could be related to drivers, that is why we want to rule out that option by testing the NUC with a different cable.

Regards,
                              Alberto R

• 12. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
                                N.Scott.Pearson

I am testing on a 7BN with a Samsung SyncMaster 2043BWX monitor at its native 1680x1050 resolution. I tested using both a HDMI-to-DVI adapter (this one: Amazon.com: Rankie 2-Pack Gold-plated 1080p HDMI to DVI Adapter) and a HDMI-to-VGA adapter (this one: Amazon.com: Moread Gold-Plated 1080p HDMI to VGA Adapter). I am NOT seeing any issues; the image is completely stable and without flicker. I ran with each cable/adapter combination for over an hour. I was using the latest driver (4815) and running on the latest BIOS (52).

My test eliminates the driver as the source of the issue. This leaves the following possibilities:

1. The monitor.
                                2. The cable (or cable/adapter combination).
                                3. The DP-to-HDMI IC within your 3BN NUC.

It is a lot simpler to test for the issue being #1 or #2 than it is to go through the RMA process to see whether it is #3.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 13. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
                                  Intel Corporation

I just wanted to check if you were able to test the NUC with a different cable and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,
                                  Alberto R

• 14. Re: NUC7i3BNK screen flickering (1680x1050, 59 or 60hz)
                                    MikTo

Hi Scott & Alberto,

Sorry for taking so long to reply on this matter. Busy times and not visiting my aunt every week.

Thanks for testing the issue as well Scott!

So in the mean time, my aunt came back to me that other resolutions were now also giving the problem, and therefore the problem is not only occuring on a .... X 1050 resolution anymore.

I have since then tested the following:

1. New cables / adapters: bought the HDMI -> DVI adapter and tested with 2 different HDMI cables and the HDMI -> DVI adapter. In both instances the problem occured (sometimes it starts randomly in whatever program is running atm, but we can trigger the problem by opening an excel file in outlook as well. It always triggers on a mouse click, never occured when not using the computer).

2. Tested the NUC in combination with my own personal monitor (27" LG ips277l-bn tested on 1920x1080, 1680x1050, 1600x900 etc.) and now the problem didn't occur. So we can now say it problem lies in the combination of my aunts monitor + NUC, or her monitor is just broken/faulty.

3. Tested my laptop (with HDMI output) with the original HDMI -> DVI cable I used connected to my aunts monitor to check if the problem isn't the monitor itself. Result: no problems occured (even when opening the excel file via outlook which always triggers the problem when opening on the NUC), so the cable, screen & DVI input of the screen are OK.

So conclusion, the DVI port and the monitor itself are OK, the cables are OK as well. Therefore the problem is still the combination of the NUC + monitor which gives us the following options I believe:

- NUC hardware problem

- NUC software problem (but as tested by Scott, this could not be it? Not sure if the drivers can have problems with certain monitors? it is a Dell UltraSharp 2009W)

(I did the tests yesterday and before starting I updated the NUC to all the latest drivers)

So if my conclusion is correct, 1 & 2 of scotts options aren't the case, so it must be #3 the DP-to-HDMI IC in the NUC?

Thanks a lot in advance for helping! Mik

1 2 Previous Next