1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2017 7:00 PM by monahanz

Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?

monahanz

It has been a few months since I used my Edison breakout boards.  I need to re-flash them.  To my surprise the Intel web site has changed to a confusing tangle of links with cryptic names when one wants to re-flash an Edison module!  Can somebody please point me to the URL that allows one to flash an Edison on a mini-breakout board.

I'm looking for the one with the rocket ship at the start NOT the batch file approach (which in the past never worked for me in the past anyway).  Attached is the second popup that appears during the install. Why is this no longer displayed or easy to fined by Intel for new users?

John

Intel.JPG

• 1. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Monahanz,

Thanks for reaching out.

As you have noticed, all Edison’s files and drivers are located now in the Download Center. At this link you can find the Tool you are looking for: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26993/Intel-Edison-Configuration-Tool. The file name is intel_edison_setup_win_v2016.2.007.zip.

Hoe you find this information useful.

Regards,
          -Yermi A.

• 2. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
            monahanz

Thanks for the rapid reply Yermi.

Don't know why everything is so difficult with Intel/Edison software downloads! It never seems to get easier.

The link you gave was to run on an old Windows 8.1 or earlier version. Like much of the rest of the world I have long since moved passed that.  I am running Windows 10 64 bit!  Does anybody on this site seriously run Windows 8?  Must be Unix programmers updating this stuff.

Anyway just for the heck of it I ran your suggestion anyway. And yes it started off with the “Rocket Space Ship Icon”.  It insisted on me installing USB drivers.  I did so. At first they seemed to be OK. But then they were rejected, See the following two pictures.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

If you continue it proceeds to unwind the above process.

So I’m back to where I started!  There does not seem to be an equivalent file  Intel_edison_setup_win_vxxx.zip for windows 10.

There is an IntelEdisonDriverSetup1.2.1.exe for windows 10.  I ran than and it seemed to run OK. But where is the rest of the menu items to flash the Edison on the breakout board, set the password and Change WiFi.

What am I missing  here? Why can Intel not have a single button to launch a flash process.  Am I the only one missing something.  Please help.

John

• 3. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
              Intel Corporation

Hi Monahanz,

The IntelEdisonDriverSetup1.2.1.exe file is used only to install the Edison USB drivers. You should see something like this if the USB and FTDI drivers are installed correctly:

as.png

Then, in order to flash the OS image on your Edison I’d recommend you to do it manually following these steps:

1. Download the latest Yocto image from: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27074/Intel-Edison-Yocto-Poky-image. The file name is iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160606.zip. Then, you need to extract the contents of the image .zip file.
              2. Download dfu-util.exe and libusb-1.0.dll from http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net/releases/dfu-util-0.8-binaries/win32-mingw32/ and place them in the same folder as the image files.
              3. Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and navigate to the folder you extracted the Edison image and enter flashall.bat.

as.png

This command will start the flashing process and also request you to plug the board, at this moment you should plug the power supply J1 (recommended) and micro USB cable J6.

Note: the flashing process can take up to 5 minutes to complete.

You should see something like the following picture when the process has finished:

as.png

Here you can find more details about flashing process: https://software.intel.com/en-us/flashing-firmware-on-your-intel-edison-board-windows

Hope this information helps. However, if you have any issue during the process, don’t hesitate to ask for help.

Regards,
              -Yermi A.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
                monahanz

Thanks for the fast reply Yermi.

Unfortunately in my system (Windows 10, 64 bit)  device manager does not display (Ports & LPT).  Again that's for an old Windows 8 and earlier OS as best I can tell.

The closest I seem to get is Universal Serial Bus Controllers.  There is a long list see attached.

CaptureA.JPG

When I disconnected the Edison the USB Serial Converter entry disappeared. So I added the Edison back and deleted the driver.

I then added the Edison USB Drivers and it seemed to go Ok as shown here.

Capture7.JPG

Then as you suggested I used the above link to reflash the Edison OS.  I was reluctant to do this because I tried that method months ago and had no success.

Anyway thinking it would be better this time I proceeded --  with all the long file names etc. Why Intel cannot provide a simple one click button for users is past me to understand.  Anyway -- as before -- the flash failed.  The program could not locate the Edison. See here.

Capture9.JPG

This is exactly what happened last time.

Now for the ridiculous part.  when you actually download the xfstk.sureforge.net link  and download the "Intel xFSTK Downloader" whatever that is,  you discover its a   .tar.gz Linux file.   IT WILL NOT RUN ON WINDOWS!!!! 

When is Intel going to get real Windows programmers to cleanup the Edison download site.

BTW, the Edison communicates fine over WiFi with the well known Windows program WinSCP.   

Totally unclear why the above batch file does not work.

I write quite a bit about the Edison board. For example see here:-

S100 Computers - Edison CPU Board

I need to have a way for windows users to flash their units with Windows 10.

Please help.

John M.

• 5. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
                  Intel Corporation

Hi,

First, I would like to confirm that the Edison USB drivers are installed correctly, as you can’t see it under Ports (COM & LPT), I’d recommend to look for the following:

• You should see in Device manage under Network Adapters an Intel Edison USB RNDIS driver

as.png
                  Additionally, in This PC under Devices and drivers, the Edison should appear as shown in the following picture.
                     as.png

If the drivers are installed correctly, I recommend to try to run the flashall.bat (make sure to run the .bat file) command again, but in this case remove the old dfu-util.exe and libusb-1.0.dll files I suggested previously and download them again from this link: http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net/releases/dfu-util-0.9-win64.zip

In regards to the flashall.bat –recovery option it is used to unbrick an Intel Edison, so we should not use that option.

I’ll be waiting for your results.

Regards,
                  -Yermi A.

• 6. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
                    monahanz

Today Yermi, for some unknown reason the Ports & LPT shows up in the Device driver list. If I add the Edison it shows up as COM15.

Here are two pictures:-

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG5

When I look at network Adaptors I only see:-

Capture5.JPG

As I said before I have absolutely no problem communicating with two of these Edison breakout boards over the serial/USB link using either a TTY terminal on the PC or WinSCP.  Here is the root folder using the latter.

Capture4.JPG

I spent the best part of two hours trying to flash both units using flashall etc.  In every case the Intel USB ports (re)install works fine but the units can never seem to flash the OS.  Flashall just does not detect the units.  This is very frustrating. Even with the fresh downloads you suggested above.

Note to other people.  Has anybody else had a problem with Flashall.  Does it for example only work on virgin/new units???

BTW it's simply inexcusable that Intel only supplies a method to "unbrick" these units in Linux.  The vast majority of Edison users use windows worldwide.  Why are a few (I assume Linux) programmers at Intel not told to take care of us non Linus users.  I guess I should post this issue elsewhere on this forum.

Thanks in advance Yermi.

• 7. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
                      Intel Corporation

According to the picture of the device manager you shared, the USB drivers for the Edison are not installed and they are used in order to perform the flash process, only the FTDI drivers are installed (USB Serial Port (COM 4)) for that reason you can establish a serial communication with your boards. I suggest you to look at: Installing the USB drivers and run the Windows* standalone driver 1.2.1 to install those drivers, once the drivers are installed correctly you should be able to flash you Edison.

Regards,
                      -Yermi A.

• 8. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
                        monahanz

Hi again Yermi,

I must be missing something that is exactly what I tried at the start of this forum. I'm doing it again here with pictures.  Ran as administrator. Please examine

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Capture7.JPG

Then I ran Flashall. This is what I got:-

Capture8.JPG

What in the heck am I doing wron.  I launch Flashall and when displayed,  I plug power & the USB port.

Both breakout board LED's are on. The led above the button flashes.

John

• 9. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
                          Intel Corporation

After installing the USB Drivers again, can you see the Intel Edison Virtual Com Port (COMx) and Intel Edison USB Composite Device (COMx) under Device manager -> Ports (COM & LPT)?

Regards,
                          -Yermi A.

• 10. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
                            Intel Corporation

Hi John,

I just want to share some information about the flashing process of the Edison’s image. Please check the following post here: https://communities.intel.com/message/495699#495699

On the other hand, it seems that you have installed the USB drivers and the FTDI drivers successfully. However, I noticed that you are running the flashall script without the .bat extension. Please try the following in cmd:

1. Go to directory where the image files are located.
                            2. Run the command dir. Please take a screenshot to check what files are in the directory.
                            3. Then run the command flashall.bat. Make sure to include the file extension.
                            4. Reboot you board by unplugging the power source and plugging it again.
                            Regards,
                            Diego V.
                            • 11. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
                              monahanz

Sorry for the delayed reply Yermi, I was traveling yesterday.

First I now realize why sometimes the Ports (COM & LPT) were not displaying in the device manager.

If you have no USB serial ports connected it does not show up!  To debug my setup I always remove all other USB ports.

So when I hookup the Edison (I tried two), I get the follow display.

Capture2.JPG

As you can see just the Serial USB driver is installed.  This is after a ran completely the IntelEdisonDriverSetup 1/2/1.exe

It removed the "old version" and completed (it said) OK.  Looks like not everything is there?

Any suggestions.

• 12. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
                                monahanz

Thanks for that input Diego.  Indeed there seem to be a lot in common with my problems.  I'm wondering if in fact Intel has in fact fixed the problem.
                                Has anybody recently got this Edison Re-flashing software download to work?

Are you using a breakout board?

Are you re-flashing a board with a current OS or a new board?

I seriously doubted that adding the .bat extension would make a difference in Window10.  Anyway I tried it.  No success!

Here are two pictures.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Obviously using the "---recovery" option is useless since it only works on Linux!

Any other suggestions

• 13. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
                                  Intel Corporation

Hi monahanz, 

We've experienced similar behavior when trying to flash the Intel Edison board. Have you tried using a different micro-USB cable and different USB ports on your computer?

Regards, 
                                  Ezequiel

• 14. Re: Where has the link to reflash an Edison breakout module gone?
                                    FerryT

monahanz The ftdi drivers are exactly where Microsoft wants them to be, under Ports. This is not new for windows 10, in fact it has always been like this. Being an electronics engineer I like to know where things are plugged in to. In the menu of the Device Manager you can select 'view by connection' or something similar. You will see a ACPI computer, with a PCI bus, with a USB host, with a hub and finally the serial port connected (this a very approximate description). I think you will like it.

I am not sure if you understand the usb connections to the edison. If you do skip this.

One usb port is the serial port, it is a usb device and will show up as a serial port. You can connect a terminal program to the serial port and log into the edsion. I think windows 10 does not have one installed, in the past there was hyperterm.

The other usb port has a dual function, at least on my Eds Arduino board you switch the function using a hardware switch. On the breakout board I am not sure.

In one mode it is a usb host and you plug usb devices in (I have a hub, with ethernet and can plug additional devices in). In the other mode it's a slave and you can plug that usb cable to your PC. The edison's OTA partition will show up as a disk drive in windows.

I think in this mode also the edison tries to get ethernet over usb. Not sure how well that works under windows. And further this is the mode that will let you run flashall.

I provided these instructions for the Edison Arduino Build and flash U Boot separately · htot/meta-intel-edison Wiki · GitHub just in case someone breaks there u-boot. Unfortunately no instructions for the breakout board.

Are you sure you need to use flashall --recovery? If you didn't break u-boot you should be able to use flashall. The difference: --recovery will connect to the Edison in an earlier stage during boot, it will connect to the microkernel that will allow to flash u-boot (flashall --recovery calls a tool called xfsk for this). When u-boot is there and boots, the linux kernel will be flashed by u-boot (flashall calls a tool called dfu for this)

1 2 Previous Next