4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2017 3:31 PM by Al Hill

Processor Upgrade Question

V72JH

I have a laptop with an i7-4700MQ processor which I want to replace for a i7-4910MQ processor.  I have seen slightly conflicting information on the socket type.

Can someone advise whether I can just straight swap these 2 processors over please?

Thank you, Vince.

• 1. Re: Processor Upgrade Question
          Al Hill

They both use the same socket:

Intel® Product Specification Comparison

However, it is not just the socket that is important.  You MUST check with the laptop manufacturer to see if THEIR BIOS supports the  i7-4910MQ.

Intel® Desktop Processor Upgrade Information

Doc

• 2. Re: Processor Upgrade Question
            N.Scott.Pearson

In order for a replacement to be possible, the replacement processor must be socket, board and firmware (including BIOS) compatible:

• Both of these processors utilize Socket G3 (FCPGA946), so socket compatibility is not an issue.

• Both of these processors require up to 47W, which means the board is capable of supporting this replacement processor.

Since these processors are both socket and board compatible, the question becomes whether they are firmware compatible. Usually, at this point, I would simply say that you need to contact the board/laptop manufacturer and ask them whether the replacement is supported. For the sake of education, however, I will say a little more:

• For a replacement processor to be compatible, the BIOS (and other firmware) must know how to properly initialize the replacement processor and the BIOS must have a microcode update to support the replacement processor. While not having both does not preclude the replacement processor from operating, there could be significant issues in its operation and performance.

• Some BIOS support a White List. This is essentially a list of the hardware that the BIOS will allow to be used. If the replacement processor is not listed in this White List, it will not be supported. I consider any manufacturer who utilizes a White List to be complete and utter slime. They want you to only use hardware that they sell you. Slime. Complete Slime. I do not mind a BIOS that supports a Black List. This is a list of hardware that the BIOS will not allow to be used. It ensures that, if a particular piece of hardware is known to cause problems, it will not support this hardware being used. Of course, Black Lists can be abused as well, but it is a lot less likely.

Ok, down off my soapbox, I repeat what I said earlier: You need to contact your board/laptop manufacturer and ask them whether the replacement processor will be properly supported by the board's firmware.

...S

• 3. Re: Processor Upgrade Question
              N.Scott.Pearson

Ah, responses passing in the ether...

• 4. Re: Processor Upgrade Question
                Al Hill

You provided the better explanation.   I like the slime part<G>!

Doc