7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2017 4:52 PM by flash608 Branched to a new discussion.

No Internet Connection After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709, 16299)

Dapaul

I have tried installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (16299.15 and 16299.19) on a NUC5i7RYH both by using Microsoft's Windows 10 Installation Media Tool to create a USB stick and also by using the Windows 10 Update Assistant.

Both times after installing the Fall Creators Update, I have no internet connection.  Although Wi-Fi is switched on, it doesn't detect any Wi-Fi networks and just says 'No WiFi networks found' in Windows Action Centre.

The adapter settings in Control Panel > Network > Change Adapter Settings, shows a red cross next to Wi-Fi.

The Windows Network Diagnostics trouble-shooter is unable to fix the problem and just says "Problem with wireless adapter or access point - Not fixed".

In Device Manager > Properties > General Tab, it says "This device is working properly".

Wi-Fi details in Settings > Status > View Your Network Properties, show no MAC address and status as 'Not Operational':
      Name: WiFi
      Description: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
      Physical address (MAC): 00:00:00:00:00:00
      Maximum transmission unit: 1500
      IPv4 address: 169.254.208.191/16
      IPv6 address: fe80::<SNIPPED>/64
      DNS servers: 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.1
      Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6): Disconnected

IPConfig from PowerShell shows 'Media disconnected':
      Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
         Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

The NUC5i7RYH has a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 Wi-Fi card.  On Windows 10 15063.674 it was running driver version 19.51.5.3 (Windows Update version), but this doesn't work on Windows 10 16299.19.  I tried installing 'WiFi_20.0.2_PROSet64_Win10.exe' from the Intel Drivers section of the website (19.51.7.2), but that makes no difference and Wi-Fi still doesn't work on 16299.19.  At the moment I've had to restore 16299.19 back to 15063.674 so that I have internet access again.

I also went through all the steps HERE, but am unable to determine what's wrong.

As a side note, the Intel driver version and date HERE needs updating, as it still shows 19.70.0, 9/3/2017 as the latest driver, instead of 20.0.2, 10/17/2017.

• 1. Re: No Internet Connection After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709, 16299)
          vs2

I had the same thing happen with wifi after the Win version 1709 (build 16299.19) update.

Under change adapter options just right click and disable, then right click and enable. Worked for me.

• 2. Re: No Internet Connection After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709, 16299)
            N.Scott.Pearson

After installing any Windows 10 update/upgrade, you should download and install the latest versions of the drivers that are provided by Intel. I personally don't yet trust the Intel Driver Update Utility (well, its replacement) to do this properly and thus I still manually download and install the drivers packages myself.

Just saying...

...S

• 3. Re: No Internet Connection After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709, 16299)
              Dapaul

I tried enabling and disabling the adapter under 'change network adapter options', but unfortunately it's still not working me and the MAC address is still showing all zero's.

• 4. Re: No Internet Connection After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709, 16299)
                Dapaul

I have now completely wiped the machine and clean installed Windows 10 Pro x64 (16299) from scratch by booting from USB stick.

During the installation process, it showed all the local Wi-Fi networks correctly and I was able to connect to my router and access the internet.  Post installation, it has stopped working again and reverted to the same as in the original post.  Presumably it was OK until Windows Update downloaded later Wi-Fi drivers.

Driver details after Windows Update:
                Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless-AC7265
                Driver Provider: Microsoft
                Driver Date: 01/06/2017
                Driver Version: 19.50.1.6
                Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

Successful Driver Installation
                Driver Management concluded the process to install driver netwtw04.inf_amd64_fb64df337d01a592\netwtw04.inf for Device Instance ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_095A&SUBSYS_90108086&REV_59\4&75351DA&0&00E3 with the following status: 0x0.

Event viewer lists the following events:

5035 - (Netwtw04) Driver OSC Pending OID watchdog

5005 - (Netwtw04) Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.

10400 - (NDIS) The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265" has begun resetting.  There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 1 time(s) since it was last initialized.

5032 - (Netwtw04) Driver Miniport reset watchdog

5002 - (Netwtw04) Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

10317 - (NDIS) Miniport Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265, {202290a5-3df6-4ccd-91f3-4b99485a7a4c}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

10400 - (NDIS) The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265" has begun resetting.  There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 3 time(s) since it was last initialized.

In Device Manager is now says the following instead of saying the device is working correctly:
                Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45).  To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

This however changed to the following after rebooting the computer:
                This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31).  Object Name already exists.

I can't go back to Windows 15063 now because it was a clean installation and Microsoft don't allow you to use the Media Creation Tool to create USB installation media for previous versions of Windows.  Nice.  So I need a way to fix this issue.

• 5. Re: No Internet Connection After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709, 16299)
                  Dapaul

Narrowed it down further by re-installing Windows again and seeing at what point exactly I lose the Wi-Fi connection.  Wi-Fi works OK until I turn on Bitlocker for the system drive.

NUC - NUC5i7RYH
                  Firmware - RYBDWi35.86A.0365.2017.0704.1050
                  BIOS Mode - UEFI
                  Secure boot - ON (Using Intel Platform Key with default settings)
                  TPM 2.0 - ON (Using Intel Platform Trust Technology)
                  BitLocker Settings - Set to require TPM and PIN.  New DMA devices aren't allowed when computer is locked

• 6. Re: No Internet Connection After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709, 16299)
                    Dapaul

The issue was caused by the following Group Policy being set to enabled.

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > BitLocker Drive Encryption > Disable New DMA devices when this computer is locked

I obviously don't know the technical details of what changed between 15063 and 16229, however if Windows 10 16229 is installed on a machine (either upgrade or clean install) and the system drive is encrypted with Bitlocker with this setting enabled, the only way I've found to make Wi-Fi start working again is to wipe the machine and re-install Windows with this Group Policy setting set to 'Not Configured' before re-encrypting the drive.

• 7. Re: No Internet Connection After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709, 16299)
                      flash608

I had the same problem on my work laptop Dell E5440.

I tried everything like reinstalling the drivers (failed all the time) deleting drivers, reseting ipconfig settings and all the:

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

adding another WiFi usb key, different drivers etc.

What worked was uninstalling a VPN Checkpoint app