5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2017 11:01 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i5BNH Win 10 won't sleep

jwon1

I just setup a NUC7i5BNH with Windows 10.   Everything is working fine except the computer will not go to sleep.  Even if I go to the windows menu and choose sleep in the Shutdown/Restart menu.  The computer will proceed to go to sleep but then go back to the sign in screen within seconds.   Power and Sleep in the control panel have been set to 5 minutes and 15 minutes respectively.   The screen never turns off in addition to the computer never gong to sleep.   I have made another non-admin account but the computer will neither go to screen save or sleep in this account either.   I have played around with powercfg but never see anything particular useful but I might not be using it correctly.    

In device manager, I have set the wireless network adapter to never allow this device to wake the computer.   I still allow the computer to turn off the wireless to save power.  Even though I am using Wifi, I also turned off all the Wake on LAN options (Magic Packet, Pattern Match, Link Settings).

Not sure what else to do.   I have updated drivers from the intel website.  Although for some reason, I install the Ethernet Connection (4) I219-V driver seeming successfully but everytime I re-scan or go back to the website, its says that I still need to do the update.  Not sure if this is related.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 1. Re: NUC7i5BNH Win 10 won't sleep
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello jwon1

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I understand you would like to use the sleep feature as desired and I can certainly troubleshoot this matter with you to find a possible solution or the source of the problem.

Some steps you can try:

• Set the system to sleep  for a couple of minutes and remote al peripherals
          • If the problem is not present, test the system with a different mouse and keyboard
          • About the driver, maybe you can uninstall that utility and use this: http://intel.ly/2i93lQc

The keyboard or mouse may be "always active" as if someone is using them while the system tries to go sleep, for that reason I wanted you to remove them to see how the system behaves.

Thanks,
          Esteban C

• 2. Re: NUC7i5BNH Win 10 won't sleep
            jwon1

Thank you for you help and I feel a bit sheepish.  Yes.  It was the microsoft sculpt keyboard that would not let the computer go to sleep.   Removing the USB dongle allowed the computer to go to sleep.  Kicking myself a bit for not testing that.  

Thanks for the link to the driver page.  That has been the same utility and web page that I have been using.   Just to be sure, I uninstalled the existing intel drive and support assistant and installed the utility on the page that you gave me.   Same behavior.  In fact, it looked like they released a new wifi update.   After installation, it shows that the wifi update has been updated.  The ethernet driver always shows that a new update is available no matter how many times I install the update.  No big deal.  I can only use wifi in the NUC's current location. 

Thanks again

Justin

• 3. Re: NUC7i5BNH Win 10 won't sleep
              Intel Corporation

Thank you for reporting back, jwon1

I am sorry to hear the problem is related to the keyboard used right now.

Maybe you can test the system while having the USB power options disabled to see how it behaves.

Right-click on the start menu's button, select power options> look for USB, disable the power option there.

About the ethernet driver, you can get this driver installed and check if the message keeps appearing: http://intel.ly/2yAtkWB

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
              Esteban C

• 4. Re: NUC7i5BNH Win 10 won't sleep
                jwon1

Sorry could not try the USB solution.  I traded keyboard/mouse with a friend.   This Logitech MK850 has no issues allowing the computer to go to sleep.  I will keep the solution in mind if this happens to me again.  Thanks.

On the ethernet driver, I tried installing the driver at the link that you gave me.   After installing, the Intel driver and support assistant still shows an update to be available.   I also tried uninstalling the driver, rebooting, and then going to the intel driver and support assistant to install the driver.   The web page shows install complete and shows that an update is available.  So that doesn't seem to fix it. 

Thanks again,

Jusitn

• 5. Re: NUC7i5BNH Win 10 won't sleep
                  Intel Corporation

Thank you for reporting back, jwon1

I am glad to hear the keyboard/mouse you have now do not reflect the problem with sleep.

If the driver from ethernet has the same version of the one you installed, you should be good to go. About the tool, we are actively working on it to polish those type of problems.

Thanks,
                  Esteban C