Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Can I use SR300 camera's depth function in window 7 in some way?And how?

zbo
Beginner

I know that intel realsense sr300 suits well with windows 10 operating systerm,but i have a special need that my sr300 camera must work in windows 7.So i try to install sr300's DCM and SDK in windows 7 but it failed.Can someone meets this problem and how to resolve it?Thank u for your advice!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I do not know of any way to make RealSense cameras function in Windows 7, unfortunately. Even when RealSense first appeared in 2014, the minimum was Windows 8.1. This decision was made so that the cameras were not held back in their capability by support for legacy software.

0 Kudos
zbo
Beginner

First of all thanks for your reply. I know this is difficult to use RealSense camera SR300 under Windows 7 but i am not sure it's impossible.By the way,i heard that some companies succeeded in using SR300 in windows 7 so i tried my best to settle this problem but the result shows this is idle.Thank you again for your reply.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I had a memory that long ago somebody said that they managed to get the camera working with the camera but it was hard to find proof that the memory was real. Eventually I did find such an entry, where someone said that although the camera would not work with the Windows-based RealSense SDK, it did work for the with Librealsense in Windows 7.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41509826/intel-realsense-cam-on-win-7 windows 7 - Intel realsense cam on win 7 - Stack Overflow

This was the only successful report of it working on Windows 7 that I could find though. So the official advice remains that the camera requires at least Windows 8.1. Though I never say that something is impossible.

I would say that the biggest obstacle is getting the RealSense drivers to install in the first place. Back when RealSense was first available in 2014, I remember that there were a number of people who got installation failures with the DCM when trying to run it in Windows 7. A lot of people had not upgraded to 8.1 yet.

These days the distribution method for SR300 drivers has changed. In Windows 10 at least, the DCM program is no longer needed because Windows can download and install the drivers from the internet just by plugging the camera into the USB port. It is not certain whether this auto-update would work with the version of Windows Update in Win 7 though. The best way to test if this is the case or not would be to:

(a) Go into the Windows Device Manager and look in its Imaging Devices section for the SR300 drivers.

(b) Right-click on each RealSense driver that is present (there are normally up to three - RGB, Depth and Virtual Driver). Select Uninstall from the menu until all RealSense drivers have been removed from the Imaging Devices section.

(c) Unplug the camera, wait a couple of seconds and then plug the camera back in. If Windows Update is capable of downloading the RealSense drivers in Windows 7 then it should start to automatically download and install them into the Device Manager over a number of seconds. The process should be complete within 30 seconds if it is going to work.

0 Kudos
zbo
Beginner

Thanks a lot for your generous patience. I decide to struggle for a while and if it still doesn't work i will just give it up.If i have a different result i will conform you at the first time.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Thank you very much. Good luck!

0 Kudos