6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2017 2:24 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i3BNK - Broken PCM sound from and above 88.2/16 via HDMI

obladi

Hi

No issue with DTS_MA (96/24) and with other encoded HD format but sound in case of PCM from and above 88.2/24 is broken more and more as quality is higher and higher.

It is same problem with Direct Sound and WASAPI, with foobar2k and Jriver and Kodi.

I tried latest three Intel Audio Drivers but problem is same.

win64_154518.4664.exe

GFX_WIN10_64_15.46.5.4771_BN.zip

GFX_WIN10_64_win64_154702.4815.zip

DAC is Pioneer Receiver SC-LX 59 which is working fine from other sources via HDMI too.

Update: I have tried over all HDMI port on the receiver. Surprisingly only 4K HDCP2.2 port were effected. I would emphasize that other sources can drive these ports too without issue.

• 1. Re: NUC7i3BNK - Broken PCM sound from and above 88.2/16 via HDMI
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello obladi,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support.  I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with the sound on an Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNK.

To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some more information.  Please let me know what is the name of the software that you are using to test the audio and to confirm that the audio is broken from and above 88.2/16, and let me know how is the issue happening so we can try to replicate it in our labs.  Also, if possible upload a file with this issue to a file sharing service so I can download it and use in my lab test.

Regards,

Xavier A.

• 2. Re: NUC7i3BNK - Broken PCM sound from and above 88.2/16 via HDMI
            obladi

Thanks for your reply. Please find example and setting detail and my answer in following link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1xSPgrnJNWWd3dHYjkzaWpYZTA?usp=sharing

• 3. Re: NUC7i3BNK - Broken PCM sound from and above 88.2/16 via HDMI
              Intel Corporation

Hello obladi,

Thank you very much for the information.  We will perform a laboratory test to try to replicate the issue so we can look for a solution for you.

This may take some time, so I will be contacting you back in a week or less to inform you about our results.

Regards,

Xavier A.

• 4. Re: NUC7i3BNK - Broken PCM sound from and above 88.2/16 via HDMI
                Intel Corporation

Hello obladi,

Thank you for your patience.  We were unable to replicate the issue with the latest driver version, which was recently released on November 7.

I would recommend you to manually clean install the latest driver and test again to see if the issue was fixed with the update.  First, you will need to uninstall and delete the driver in your system, and then you can proceed to manually install the latest driver,

Please follow the steps below to uninstall the graphics driver:

1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc
                2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
                3. Find the Intel® Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
                4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
                5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
                6. Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.
                Please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
                1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27266/a08/win64_15600.4849.zip
                2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
                3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
                4. Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
                5. Expand the Display adapters section.
                6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
                7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
                8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
                9. Click "Have Disk".
                10. Click "Browse".
                11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
                12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
                13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
                14. Reboot your computer.
                If this process does not fix the issue, then we will need to escalate this issue to the next level of support.  If that becomes necessary, and if you have confirmed that the latest version does not fix the issue, per procedure to escalate the issue, please follow the next link to find a table.  Reply to this post and add that table answering all the requested information.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Regards,

Xavier A.
                • 5. Re: NUC7i3BNK - Broken PCM sound from and above 88.2/16 via HDMI
                  obladi

Thanks for your reply Xavier. I did the following updates.

1) I bought a new HDMI cable marked 2.0 on cover. Although my other cables should be 2.0.

2) BIOS was updated from 52 to 54. It didn't helped.

3) HDMI firmware was updated from 1.66 to 1.72. It did't helped.

4 I followed your guide is in previous post step by step. It didn't helped.

So the root-cause can be due to

1. Intel audio driver (HDMI2.0 compatibility)

2. Intel HDMI hardware or firmware (I am afraid that the device itself is wrong but proving it to dealer will be a bit difficult.)

3. Pioneer receiver HDMI input. (Unfortunately I have only the NUC as HDMI 2.0 source but driving amplifier from any other 1.4 compatible device it sounds good.)

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

PCM sound from and above 88.2/24 is broken more and more as quality is higher and higher.

Problem exists with Direct Sound and WASAPI too. With foobar2k or Jriver or Kodi or any other player.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

X Always (100%):

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

NUC7i3BNK

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                  ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                  LFP
                  = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                  EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                  ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Pioneer Receiver SC-LX 59

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

attached

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 Pro v1703

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

??

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Built in Windows direct sound

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

Full HD 60Hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

AC

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                  A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Connect HDMI output  to 1 of 3 HDMI 2.0 of Pioneer Receiver SC-LX 59
                  2. Change sound format to 2 channel 176/24 in advanced tab of sound settings
                  3. Play something with any player via direct sound system which is usually the default setting.
                  4. Listen whether sound is broken or continuous

Also see attached files.

Hoping in solution.

• 6. Re: NUC7i3BNK - Broken PCM sound from and above 88.2/16 via HDMI
                    Intel Corporation

Hello obladi,

Thank you for the information.  We will be escalating the issue to the next level of support to be able to look for a solution for you.

Please have in mind that it may take some time to get a result, but we will post back to keep you updated.

Regards,

Xavier A.