Items with no label
3335 Discussions

The depth image quality is so poor. Is my device broken?

KTien
Beginner

Dear all,

My depth images from Real sense sr300 are very poor. There are many gaps in the images. In addition, my device fell down on the floor several times. Please help me to check the image attached. I want to know whether my device is broken or not. Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,

Kawhi

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Though dropping a camera on the floor several times may not be healthy for it in theory, I believe that the problem you are experiencing is related to the camera's design. The SR300 scans using a technique called structured light, or coded light. Such scans are made up of a number of 'stripes'. If you have "noise" in your scan, perhaps caused by the lighting conditions in the room, then the image could break up to reveal the stripe patterns.

I would therefore recommend changing the lighting conditions in the room if that is possible, such as adding or removing a light source, and see if that helps.

KTien
Beginner

Dear MartyG,

Thanks for the reply!

I scanned another table in my lab. The situation is much better. Could you please tell me what the ideal lighting condition for structured light is?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I'm glad I was able to help!

There is no single recommended lighting configuration, because every location has different conditions that may constantly change. For example, the amount of light in a room with windows will change depending on what time of day it is. In general, the lighting should be not too dark, and not too bright.

0 Kudos
KTien
Beginner

Dear MartyG,

I found the real reason. I use HTC Vive and the depth sensor together. The base station of Vive emits infrared light which interferes the structure light. Anyway, I still appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yes, I imagine that would definitely cause disruption, as Vive's Lighthouse sensors spin their depth sensing laser very rapidly to create a map of the room. Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
KTien
Beginner

In addition, is there any way to change the range of the structure light to avoid conflicting with that of the Vive's Lighthouse?

0 Kudos
KTien
Beginner
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Microsoft research in 2012 with the Kinect reckoned that structured-light camera interference can be reduced if a motor is used to vibrate a camera.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/shake27n27Sense.pdf https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/shake27n27Sense.pdf

0 Kudos
KTien
Beginner

Dear MartyG,

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos