9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 1:41 PM by Intel Corporation

How to return to USB 3.0 native drivers for Win 8.1

Paolo68

Hallo,

I have a Sony Vaio SVE1513O9ESI, it have 4 USB ports, 3 on the right and one on the left.

I had to change the disk so i reinstalled Windows 8.1 pro with the USB default driver and everything worked well for a few of months then I installed some drivers that are on the Sony site for my PC including that of USB 3.0 and the ports on the right have begun not to recognize some peripherals.

Then I've read that these drivers do not work well with Win 8.1 and I tried to uninstall them but after reboot they are reinstalled automatically. I have tried many times with the result that now the port on the left stop to work completly (with Ubuntu Live all ports work well).

Is there a tool that allows a full uninstallation of these drivers and returns to the original ones of Windows?

Thanks.

Drivers installed:

- Controller host Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible - 0100 (Microsoft) ver. 6.3.9600.17797

- Controller Enhanced Host USB for chipset family Intel(R) serie 7/C216 - 1E26 ver. 6.3.9600.18191

- Controller Enhanced Host USB for chipset family Intel(R) serie 7/C216 - 1E2D ver. 6.3.9600.18191

• 1. Re: Tornare ai drivers 3.0 nativi di Win 8.1
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Paolo68

Thank you for reaching the Intel(R) Communities. I am sorry to hear you are facing troubles with the Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver, but we can work on that for sure to have a possible update or fix.

• Would you please further elaborate on "USB problems"?
          • What sort of errors are received? Or which is the problem faced?
          • What is the brand and model of the system you have?
          • What is the driver version you have now?

PD: The support for this platform is provided in English only.

Thanks,
          Esteban C

• 2. Re: Tornare ai drivers 3.0 nativi di Win 8.1
            Paolo68

Hallo Esteban,

thanks for you reply.

I have a Sony Vaio SVE1513O9ESI, it have 4 USB ports, 3 on the right and one on the left.

I had to change the disk so i reinstalled Windows 8.1 pro with the USB default driver and everything worked well for a few of months then I installed some drivers that are on the Sony site for my PC including that of USB 3.0 and the ports on the right have begun not to recognize some peripherals.

Then I've read that these drivers do not work well with Win 8.1 and I tried to uninstall them but after reboot they are reinstalled automatically. I have tried many times with the result that now the port on the left stop to work completly (with Ubuntu Live all ports work well).

Is there a tool that allows a full uninstallation of these drivers and returns to the original ones of Windows?

Thanks.

Drivers installed:

- Controller host Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible - 0100 (Microsoft) ver. 6.3.9600.17797

- Controller Enhanced Host USB for chipset family Intel(R) serie 7/C216 - 1E26 ver. 6.3.9600.18191

- Controller Enhanced Host USB for chipset family Intel(R) serie 7/C216 - 1E2D ver. 6.3.9600.18191

• 3. Re: Tornare ai drivers 3.0 nativi di Win 8.1
              Intel Corporation

Thank you for reporting back, Paolo68

I would like you to be aware of the following, Windows* 8, Windows* 8.1, and Windows® 10 have a native in-box USB 3.0 driver. Intel is not releasing a specific Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Windows 8, 8.1, or 10. (based on http://intel.ly/2xzFw64 )

Because of that, it is tricky to troubleshoot this matter from my end since there are no drivers to be provided, but I can certainly provide some recommendations for the issue.

I found an article recommending to "turn off hard disk after" within power options, this is to avoid the system from turning off the connection to the hard disk, which could help with this scenario. Other recommendations here: http://bit.ly/2gbBf6i

Then, it would be good to test if there are BIOS updates for the system with Sony's support team (that is to have the BIOS update properly done, if available).

Additionally, have you checked which are the options in the BIOS related to "xHCI"? This is the controller of USB 3.0 and it would be worth it testing the options available there (even if they are on and off).

Please let me know how it goes.

NOTE: Some of the links offered are for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Thank you,
              Esteban C

• 4. Re: Tornare ai drivers 3.0 nativi di Win 8.1
                Paolo68
                I tried disabling the power saving in the usb but it did not change anything.
                The ports on the right still read the external hard drive that I have and also the mouse
                so the problem at present comes with some usb pen drive I normally use before (and on the left port work fine)
                and not even with everyone, such as a Kingstone Traveler works fine.

It would be great to find a tool or a procedure that removes extensible drivers so that they do not 
                reinstall at the next system restart in order to use the default Win 8.1 USB3 drivers.

I use the last bios downloadable from Sony site and is blocked in everything, apart from the boot
                sequence there is nothing else to modify, USB too.

• 5. Re: Tornare ai drivers 3.0 nativi di Win 8.1
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Paolo68,

Sorry for the delayed answer.

I was wondering when you said: "and on the left port work fine)" is that a USB 3.0 port?

If so, please contact Sony support team to get further details on this matter, it can be a faulty port.

Thanks,
                  Esteban C

• 6. Re: Tornare ai drivers 3.0 nativi di Win 8.1
                    Intel Corporation

This is to do a follow up on your case and find out if you were able to check my previous post. Paolo68

Please let me know.

Thanks,
                    Esteban C

• 7. Re: Tornare ai drivers 3.0 nativi di Win 8.1
                      Paolo68

Hi,

yes, the port on the left is a 3.0 and work fine.

I do not think they are bad, they started to have problems after installing drivers. Also if I use Ubuntu Live the ports work well.
                      However, as soon as possible I will format the disk by reinstalling windows to bring everything back to default

Thanks for your help Esteban.

• 8. Re: Tornare ai drivers 3.0 nativi di Win 8.1
                        Intel Corporation

Thank you for reporting back. Paolo68

Doing a fresh installation of Windows can also help with this, please let me know how it goes.

If you face further questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
                        Esteban C

• 9. Re: Tornare ai drivers 3.0 nativi di Win 8.1
                          Intel Corporation

Paolo68,

I just wanted to do a follow up to this inquiry to find out how the system behaved after doing a fresh installation of the OS.

Thanks,
                          Esteban C