4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2017 10:11 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC BHN7i7BHN Optane no boot

Wilki

My system:-  NUC7i7BHN – brand new – updated to latest bios….Bios 52

Hard drive OCZ Agility 3 SSD, 16GB ram.

Operating system windows 10pro.

System without Optane fully operational.

I downloaded the Optane drivers ready to install, installed the Optane card – and managed to boot – into main system (it took quite a long time to boot)all this on Bios 47. I then tried to install the drivers. This threw up an error no RST drivers installed – please uninstall optane and reinstall RST.

I then unistalled via windows – as you would expect to do. Re booted and installed RST – then went to install optane – it would not have it. I then rebooted – and from that point on my NUC will not boot with optane card installed –fineeto. The NUC just stops booting and hangs before NUC bios screen appears. I then updated to the lates Bios – no difference.

I have checked my drive seems to be formatted correctly – and shows GMP partitions etc.

I have tried cleaning windows via the windows clean routeen – no difference.

(I have deleted a full rant - directed at Intel - did see any point pointing it at hpefully a helpful community ;-) 

Please help…..and advise if you can fnx

• 1. Re: NUC BHN7i7BHN Optane no boot
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Wilki,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support.  I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with Intel® Optane™ in your Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH.

Since you are able to boot the Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH without the Intel® Optane™, please access Windows® and install Intel® RST.  If it is installed without errors, then install the Intel® Optane™ again and try to boot.

If after it is not booting up, check if the system is still POSTing and access the BIOS to confirm if the Intel® Optane™ is detected in there and let me know.

Regards,

Xavier A.

• 2. Re: NUC BHN7i7BHN Optane no boot
            Wilki

Ok I will download RST and re install it ....... on Wednesday when I have time. However, I seem to remember - seeing that RST drivers are currently installed ..... if they are, is there a certain procedure for removing them. I am pretty sure that I used Windows uninstall RST ...... perhaps it did not remove all the drivers......???    Would a new installation over write the existing if they are living somewhere????

• 3. Re: NUC BHN7i7BHN Optane no boot
              Wilki

Just to clarify proceedure you are suggesting...

Install RST drivers ... without optane card installed.

Reboot to ensure drivers are installed.

Install optane card

Reboot (hopefully successfully)

Download and install Optane drivers and install.

Reboot, then activate Optane?

• 4. Re: NUC BHN7i7BHN Optane no boot
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Wilki,

Yes, that is correct.  And about uninstalling Intel® RST before proceeding with these steps, that is a good idea.  You can see how to do it in the first half of this video: https://youtu.be/hGXw3Ubpgp8

Regards,

Xavier A.