1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 9, 2017 12:44 PM by Intel Corporation

i7 7700hq vs i7 8550u

saadio

Hi all,

I am looking into switching from a MacBook Pro Retina i5 to a Windows Laptop, but I needed some help clarifying which i7 processor would be more powerful: the i7-7700hq or the i7-8550u.

These are the specs I found for the processors:

7th Gen i7 (7700 HQ)      -->     2.8 GHz and upto 3.8 GHz

8th Gen i7 (8550 U)         -->     1.8 GHz and upto 4.0 GHz

So when compared to 7th Gen i7, the 8th Gen i7 is slower in performance?

I understand that the 8th Gen is the ultra efficient model, but both of these are quad core, and the 8th gen has a higher clock speed, but a lower base speed. I am a student, and my main type of work is multiple Excel and Word documents open as well as several Chrome tabs. I am also starting Computer Science classes, in which coding will be required. Additionally, I am conducting genetic research and need something that can handle multiple Excel files with 20,000 rows.

The two laptops I'm looking into are the HP Spectre x360 15 in (8th gen) and the Razer Blade (7th gen). The price difference between the two is not substantial, hence, I would like to buy a laptop with better performance.

Thanks,

-Saad

• 1. Re: i7 7700hq vs i7 8550u
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi : Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® communities. We will do our best in order to provide the information you are looking for.

In regard to your inquiry, to confirm which processor is better or more powerful it will actually depend on the needs of the customer or the usage you will give to the laptop. In this case, if you need to have several Excel and Word documents open and also several Chrome tabs both processors will be able to support those tasks. The more cores the better, as you mentioned, since both processors have the same amount of cores and also they are very similar in regard to the memory RAM supported, you can choose either one of them.
          https://ark.intel.com/compare/122589,97185

Remember that the performance on the laptop will not only depend on the processor it has, it will depend on different components such as: motherboard, hard drive, memory RAM, video card, software installed among some other customizations that in this case HP does to their laptops. Based on that we recommend to get in contact directly with them to confirm if the computers support coding and to get further information about the units, HP have the option to disable and enable all the features on the them:
          https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R