8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2017 3:27 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

a corrected hardware error has occurred event 17

Capprop

a corrected hardware error has occurred event 17

• 1. Re: a corrected hardware error has occurred event 17
          Al Hill

You need to provide a lot more information for any assistance.

CPU model number?

Motherboard or system model number?

Operating system?

Graphics?

What were you doing when this error occurred?

Doc

• 2. Re: a corrected hardware error has occurred event 17
            Capprop

Sorry for the long message. These warnings have been coming in, sometimes every 5 or 6 seconds, since I added a Dell SE 2417HG HDMI monitor to the system several weeks ago. I’ve read in a thread that this combo of motherboard, video card and monitor (native resolution at 1920) causes these messages. I would appreciate any help. Please note that the 3405 device noted in the warning does not show in the hardware listed in my device manager. The 340e shown below at the bottom is the closest match. I've updated all device drivers multiple times.Thanks Al.

OS Name             Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Version                6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description     Not Available

OS Manufacturer             Microsoft Corporation

System Name    STEVETATE-PC

System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.

System Model   Studio XPS 9100

System Type      x64-based PC

Processor            Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date          Dell Computer Corporation A04, 10/21/2010

SMBIOS Version               2.6

Windows Directory         C:\Windows

System Directory             C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device       \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale   United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer       Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

User Name         SteveTate-PC\Steve Tate

Time Zone          Eastern Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)            9.00 GB

Total Physical Memory  8.99 GB

Available Physical Memory         6.80 GB

Total Virtual Memory    18.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory           15.5 GB

Page File Space                8.99 GB

Page File             C:\pagefile.sys

Video is an AMD Radeon HD 5800

Warning               10/9/2017 9:24:02 AM    WHEA-Logger    17           None

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port

Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0

Vendor ID:Device ID: 0x8086:0x3405

Class Code: 0x30000

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Intel 5520/5500/x58 I/O hub pci express root port 7 – 340e

• 3. Re: a corrected hardware error has occurred event 17
              N.Scott.Pearson

Device 3405 is a Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub to ESI Port. I suggest that you reinstall the Chipset Software package; it should be appearing.

If this monitor is causing this video card to cause problems on the PCIe bus, I suggest you stop using the combination...

...S

• 4. Re: a corrected hardware error has occurred event 17
                Capprop

Scott, thanks for your reply and help. I've updated the drivers for this, and all chips, multiple times with drivers from Windows, from old drivers stored on my computer, and from Intel. Sometimes, the update stops the problem for the remainder of the day. When I re-boot in the morning, trouble again. Please help me understand what you mean by the Chipset Software package; it should be appearing? Thanks again.

• 5. Re: a corrected hardware error has occurred event 17
                  N.Scott.Pearson

The Chipset Software package, also known as the INF Update package, installs driver-level support for the various chipset components. In most cases, this support is not drivers or driver updates, but is instead configuration data to be used by the drivers included in Windows. This is why it is often called the INF Update package, as it is installing INF files that provide this configuration data to the standard Windows drivers.

If you reboot in the morning and the problem starts up again, this usually means that Windows Update has a newer package that is overwriting the package you installed. Try disabling Windows Update for a couple of days, reinstall the packages you have, and then see if this stops you from seeing the issue. I know that, for older machines, the latest available Chipset software package no longer contains support for their chipsets and, if the newest chipset software package is installed, you can lose information for some of the chipset devices. The only way to avoid this is to block that update from being installed.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 6. Re: a corrected hardware error has occurred event 17
                    Capprop

Thanks very much, Scott. I'll give this a try.

• 7. Re: a corrected hardware error has occurred event 17
                      Capprop

Scott, the INF update package won't run once installed on my computer. It begins to run but stops with a message "unknown error". I've downloaded the Driver and Support assistant, but when I run that it reports that all drivers are up to date. The problem continues. I'm going nuts. Any other ideas? Thanks.

• 8. Re: a corrected hardware error has occurred event 17
                        N.Scott.Pearson

Are you running the version that is being provided by Dell? The latest generally-available version of the package (10.x) on the Intel site does not include support for systems as old as yours. You need a 9.x version.

Here is the version specifically for Series 5 boards: Download Intel® Chipset Device Software for 5 Series Chipset-Based Desktop Boards.

Here is a later version, actually meant for Series 6 boards, that you may also be able to use:  Download Intel® Chipset Device Software for 6 Series Chipset-Based Desktop Boards.

Hope this helps,

...S