14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2017 10:01 AM by Ronald_Intel

vertical colored lines after standby

runningfree

Hi,

I've been having an issue that has been occurring ever since I noticed my Intel graphics software updated and so I assume it's related.

The problem is when I put my computer to sleep and then after I wake it up I get a white screen with colored vertical line on it. I have to force shutdown and then restart and it's fine until the next time.

I have an Acer Aspire R5-471T running windows 10.

An Intel Core i5-6200U with Intel HD graphics 520.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• 1. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello runningfree

Thank you for reaching the Intel(R) Communities.

I understand it can be tricky to not being able to use the sleep mode without facing troubles, let me get some recommendations and gather up data from the system to further investigate this matter.

To be requested:

• Please attach the dxdiag report to your answer

How to get dxdiag report?

1. Press the windows key + r
          2. Type dxdiag in the window that appears and hit ok
          3. Look for the button "Save All Information" it will create the dxdiag.txt file
          4. Attach the dxdiag.txt file to your answer

This would be to have a clearer understanding of the system and the configuration used (in terms of drivers).

Recommendation:

If you are not able to get it installed, try these steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

And if you are still not able to get it installed for another reason, follow these steps:

1. Extract the .zip file downloaded
          2. Access the device manager and look for display adapters (double click on it, you should be able to see an Intel(R) HD Graphics adapter or Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")
          3. Right click and select update driver for Intel HD Graphics
          4. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
          5. Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
          6. Click on "Have Disk" and find the extracted folder of the driver downloaded
          7. Go to "Graphics" folder within driver folder and select the **igdlh64.inf** file and hit open then ok
          8. Select Intel HD Graphics XXX under "model" and hit next

Thanks,
          Esteban C

• 2. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
            runningfree

Hi Esteban C,

Thanks for your response and recommendations!

I have updated the driver as you recommended and I will see if I still have the problem. (Edit: I still have the problem with the new driver)

I have attached dxdiag report which I took before updating the driver.

Thanks

• 3. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
              Intel Corporation

Thank you for the answer with the information provided, runningfree

We have gotten some reports of this behavior and found out so far that a BIOS update can help with the problem.

This is the download page for your device, please check with Acer to perform a proper BIOS update (BIOS updates can be tricky): https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6397?b=1

The investigation team is currently working on this matter and possible fixes will be posted here:
              https://communities.intel.com/message/501191

Please keep that thread handy for future updates.

Let me know how it goes after the BIOS update.

Thanks,
              Esteban C

• 4. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
                COBarb

I am having the same problem with my laptop which is the identical model. There is no BIOS update available from Acer that addresses this issue. Also, the issue happened for the first time on the same day of the latest Intel Graphics Driver update. Is there a way to roll back this update and stop it from automatically updating again?

• 5. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Peers,

runningfree

Please test the system with the following driver and report back: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27199/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-47-?product=88355

Thanks,
                  Esteban C

• 6. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
                    COBarb

Hi Esteban,

I received the error message that the "driver being installed is not validated for this computer." There is no option to install it.

Thank you,

Barb

• 7. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
                      runningfree

Hi Esteban C,

Tried with this latest driver (4815), still have the same problem unfortunately.

• 8. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
                        Intel Corporation

Thank you for your answer with the outcome, runningfree

Please attach the latest dxdiag report to your answer just to make sure the driver was properly installed.

1. Press the windows key + r
                        2. Type dxdiag in the window that appears and hit ok
                        3. Look for the button "Save All Information" it will create the dxdiag.txt file
                        4. Attach the dxdiag.txt file to your answer

Also, would you please this out and add it to your answer? Default level information for reporting Graphics issues

In case you face troubles while installing the driver, remember there is another way to install it.

A. Use the .zip version of the driver and then follow these steps:

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.47]

1. Extract the .zip file downloaded

2. Access the device manager and look for display adapters (double-click on it, you should be able to see an Intel(R) HD Graphics adapter or Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

3. Right-click and select update driver for Intel HD Graphics

4. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

5. Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

6. Click on "Have Disk" and find the extracted folder of the driver downloaded

7. Go to "Graphics" folder within driver folder and select the **igdlh64.inf** file and hit open then ok

8. Select Intel HD Graphics XXX under "model" and hit next

Thanks,
                        Esteban C

• 9. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
                          COBarb

Hi Esteban,

The driver was installed correctly. I have attached the file per your request. My original question also asked if I can please uninstall the driver update and go back to the previous version without the update being automatically pushed to my computer. It cannot be good for my computer to reboot so frequently.

Thank you,

Barb

• 10. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
                            runningfree

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Whenever I close the lid of my laptop, put my laptop into standby or leave my laptop and the screen goes to sleep when I try to wake it  up I get a blank screen with colored vertical lines. Sometimes the cursor also appears as a colored square which I can move around. Once this happens there is nothing I can do but force shut down my pc

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%):X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Acer Aspire R5-471T

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                            ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                            LFP
                            = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                            EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP, I also tried with an external monitor and also get the problem

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                            ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

single

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

DC

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                            A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

Video attached

• 11. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
                              Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for the information provided.

I will keep investigating this matter and get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,
                              Esteban C

• 12. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
                                Jakeo

I have found the latest intel driver that works for  Intel HD 530 is 4550, this is likely the same driver that will work for 520. Any later driver up through 4815 (latest driver out as I type this) results in the lines after sleep.   After reinstalling this driver I then used microsoft's show and hide update troubleshooter to hide the microsoft update (ie prevent the driver from updating) which would have taken it to 4749, which of course does not work.

Hopefully this will get you back going until intel investigates what is going on.

If anyone from intel is reading this, the problem existed on a gigabtye motherboard z170xp-sli with intel 530 for me.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
                                  COBarb

Jakeo,

Thank you for your post. It worked. I was able to roll back the last update and prevent it from automatically installing. Those annoying lines are no longer showing up after my computer returns from sleep mode. I really appreciate that you took the time to post the solution!

Barb

• 14. Re: vertical colored lines after standby
                                    Ronald_Intel

Hello Everyone,

I would like to confirm that Intel is investigating this issue.

Please refer to this thread: HD 630 Resume From Standby Screen Flickering

This is where we will be posting all news and updates concerning this situation.

I'll proceed to lock this thread in order to keep all reports under the same thread for increased visibility.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.