12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2017 4:03 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Whea uncorrectable error in my nuc syh6i5

melom1981

I have a nuc syh 6i5 windows 10 with a whea uncorrectable error, I upgrade the bios to the last one, I control the two 8 gb of ram, I test the hard disk, I upgrade the driver, I control the  registry. But every time after at last 2 minute after the restart the whea problem return. What I can try to correct the problem, some other person have the same issue?

• 1. Re: Whea uncorrectable error in my nuc syh6i5
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello melom1981,

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC Kit community. I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

Could you please let us know which BIOS version you installed? I would like to confirm if it is the latest from our side, once this is confirmed we can move from there in order to address this matter.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 2. Re: Whea uncorrectable error in my nuc syh6i5
            lw1948

Hi,

1. Can you let me know, what was the previous bios version in your NUC, before you have update it with the latest bios version? I understand that this whea error appeared wile your NUC was working with the old bios version.

2. Even if you are sure that the RAM is OK, please try to operate your NUC with one RAM stick at a time. First try to work with one RAM and than remove the first RAM stick and install the second one.

Leon

• 3. Re: Whea uncorrectable error in my nuc syh6i5
              melom1981

The previos version of the bios was the 033 I never upgraded the bios version, right now I upgraded to the 062 from the intel site.

for the ram i did it I try only with one 8 gb stick of ram at time the problem was only faster to appear.

the hd was checked with hd tune pro without any problem

• 4. Re: Whea uncorrectable error in my nuc syh6i5
                melom1981

thanks for the help

• 5. Re: Whea uncorrectable error in my nuc syh6i5
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Well, it sounds like you ran on this old BIOS for long enough that the hardware has been permanently damaged. Presuming your warranty is still active (check here: Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty), you will have to (directly!) contact Intel Customer Support to discuss replacing the base unit. Here is contact information, by geography:

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for US and Canada

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Europe, Middle East and Africa

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Asia-Pacific

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Latin America

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Whea uncorrectable error in my nuc syh6i5
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

melom1981, I agree with Scott. Please use one of the links mentioned above in order to check the replacement options for your Intel® NUC.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 7. Re: Whea uncorrectable error in my nuc syh6i5
                      melom1981

Thanks a lot, I will contact the customers support tomorrow morning, I am a little be sad my nuc is the center of the house we do everything with him. But ok tomorrow I will give you the answer of the customers support. Thanks

• 8. Re: Whea uncorrectable error in my nuc syh6i5
                        lw1948

Hi,

I agree with Scott. That was the reason for my question in post #2.  For your information, in the first released versions of NUC6i5xxx, the NUC suffered from "sickness" which was damage to the voltage regulator, causing famous whea blue screen error. Starting from bios ver 0042, the voltage regulator electrical overstress  protection has been improved and this whea error didn't occurred again. But if before updating the bios this error happened (your case), permanent damage to the circuitry requires such NUC to replace.

Leon

• 9. Re: Whea uncorrectable error in my nuc syh6i5
                          boxallw

My Nuc6i5 has just done the same blue screen. I hope something isn't terminal. I have always run the latest BIOS except recently when I was a couple of months behind.

One BSOD worries me. Let's see what happens next.

• 10. Re: Whea uncorrectable error in my nuc syh6i5
                            N.Scott.Pearson

Wayne,

Yes, watch it closely. In most of the cases that I observed - and I am talking those that incurred voltage damage - once the error occurs, it will then occur somewhat regularly. That said, there are plenty of other reasons for BSODs to occur, so this can be obscured. Windows 10 is chock full of bugs that can cause BSODs. Microsoft just announced, for example, that one of their USB services can randomly corrupt memory, causing all sorts of issues and BSODs (my understanding is that the fix for is included in the production version of the Creator's Update just released).

You should also check into when your warranty is going to expire, so you can make a decision on whether to get the base unit replaced before this date.

...S

• 11. Re: Whea uncorrectable error in my nuc syh6i5
                              boxallw

Thanks. It has a 3 year warranty which is a start.

I also have HDMI issues, so may do it all in one go.

• 12. Re: Whea uncorrectable error in my nuc syh6i5
                                N.Scott.Pearson

A rather contentious message, aimed at me, was posted to this discussion - but then deleted. I would like to respond to it anyway...

Intel regularly expresses an if-it-isn't-broken-don't-fix-it stance. They say don't update your BIOS or drivers unless there is an issue occurring that needs to be addressed. I strongly - vehemently - disagree with this position.

Sadly, we live in a world where we are constantly under attack by the nefarious. A day doesn't go by where we aren't hearing about another malware attack, software hack or cyberattack, leading to compromised systems, infections, ransoms, account breaches, etc. Everyone who owns a computer must be vigilant and working regularly to prevent their system(s) from being successfully attacked. Ensuring that your system(s) have a good firewall and proper virus and malware protection is a good start obviously - but more is required. Vulnerabilities are being identified every day. For software (including the operating system), this includes attack vectors that were missed in the original design (and/or implementation) and bugs that open new attack vectors. At the same time, improvements to interfaces and algorithms that address these missed attack vectors and bug fixes that close these new attack vectors are being created. Update capabilities like Microsoft's Windows Update service can help to get many of these improvements and bug fixes onto systems. Services like Intel's Driver and Support Assistant (DSA) can also help tremendously (if they ever get all the bugs out and fix the issues with driver versioning). I believe, however, that every user still needs to do more. I believe that every user needs to dedicate some time - perhaps 2-3 hours once a month - ensuring that all software - operating system, drivers, firmware (BIOS) and applications - is fully up-to-date and that things are done (disk cleanup, HDD defrag, etc.) to keep systems running efficiently. While it is certainly true that there is the possibility that a software/driver/firmware update could introduce a new problem, the advantages of keeping everything up-to-date far, far outweigh the few disadvantages.

Ok, what does this have to do with this thread? Well, I believe that, if everyone was putting in the time to keep their systems up to date, they wouldn't have been surprised to hear about issues like this WHEA problem. Some folks aren't going to like this message - but it is valid.

I welcome your comments (I'm a big boy and I can take it),

...S