11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2017 5:17 PM by PeterFdH

Unsupported signal. Check device output

DaveSanderson

New NUC7i7BNH system with 32Gb Optane Memory, 16Gb RAM, 1,5Tb HDD.

I am trying to connect system to Sony Bravia TV via HDMI cable/port.

For first week of using the system I had no problem connecting to TV.

Late last week, following either a Win10 update and/or Intel BIOS update, I have not been able to connect to TV.  Now, after POST,  I get a black screen with error display - 'Unsupported signal. Check device output.'

I am presuming it is a problem with BIOS as computer doesn't even get to point of loading operating system.

Do I need to roll back to previous BIOS or is their a new BIOS fix?

Thanks,

David Sanderson

• 1. Re: Unsupported signal. Check device output
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello DaveSanderson,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support.  I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with the system not booting up.  In order to confirm if this issue is related to a BIOS upgrade or to a Windows® 10 update, you can try downgrading the BIOS version to at least to previous versions.

For instructions on how to perform a BIOS version downgrade, please follow the next link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000006922.html

Regards,

Xavier A.

• 2. Re: Unsupported signal. Check device output
            DaveSanderson

Hi Xavier,

Thank you for your reply.

My question is not so much my NUC wont boot (it boots normally /fine to a monitor), it just wont boot when connected to the TV.

It used to boot to the TV, but since the updates (Windows 10 and/or Intel BIOS) it doesn't boot to the TV.

Do you think this still needs to roll back/downgrade the BIOS update.

Also, my system has ME loaded, so if I have to rollback/downgrade, I only have the BIOS Recovery Update method to use.

David

• 3. Re: Unsupported signal. Check device output
              Intel Corporation

Hello DaveSanderson,

I was checking the ME Firmware versions of the latest and of previous BIOS versions.  From the BIOS version 0047 (released on May 18, 2017) to the BIOS version 0052 (released on September 18, 2017), you will have the exact same ME Firmware version (11.6.27.3264).

You can check this and more information in the next link: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27157/eng/BN_0052_ReleaseNotes.pdf

In short, it will be safe to downgrade the BIOS to any version down to 0047.

And, yes, I still recommend performing a BIOS downgrade to confirm if the latest update was the cause of the issue.

Regards,

Xavier A.

• 4. Re: Unsupported signal. Check device output
                DaveSanderson

Hi,

I didn't get around to doing a rollback to the previous BIOS version, because shortly after getting your above email, I lost windows 10 - the whole operating system just disappeared along with all documents, etc..

So I figured I would do a fresh install.

After installing a fresh Windows 10, everything seemed to be fine.  Everything was running - The Optane Memory, even working on the TV too.

Then, while watching some TV (the computer was still connected to the TV) today, Windows 10 performed another update... and you guessed it... the whole trouble started again, and MORE besides.

1. I lost the HDMI - when I switched back to using the TV as a monitor to watch some recorded programs, I got the same Unsupported signal error.  SO this seems to be a Windows 10 problem, not Intel.  But wait, there's more....
                2. While typing (e.g. as I typed this response) the desktop would refresh/blink about every 10 seconds or so...  When it does, I'd find that the insertion point had disappeared, so I had to select where I was typing again to be able to continue typing - this happened some 25 - 30 times; or
                3. After opening the Windows 10 Settings app, thinking to uninstall the most recent Windows 10 update, I find I cant access any options on the page (e.g. from 'Settings', 'Update & Security', then I find non of the options on that page wont open click one of the other options, but nothing happens, then, after about 10 seconds, the screen will refresh and the Settings window will instantly close, being unable to select any operation... this puts me in a dilemma,
                4. I cant use the Update & Security window to either uninstall this last update, run the Troubleshooter, or perform a recovery.

So I am now at the point of having to do a complete fresh Windows 10 install; unless someone has answer.

Any thoughts or fixes, please??

Regards,

David

• 5. Re: Unsupported signal. Check device output
                  Intel Corporation

Hello DaveSanderson,

I agree that it could be actually an issue related to the operating system.

I would suggest to reinstall the operating, but before download Windows® 10 again just in case, since the copy that you have might be corrupted.

To create a Windows® 10 installation media, please follow the instructions in the next link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Regards,

Xavier A.

• 6. Re: Unsupported signal. Check device output
                    Intel Corporation

Hello DaveSanderson,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further assistance.  If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Xavier A.

• 7. Re: Unsupported signal. Check device output
                      xTropodx

"unsupported signal. Check your device output."

I believe recent Windows10 update potentially caused this problem, either KB4043961 or the one before it.

Specs;

NUC7i3BNH.

4GB RAM.

Sony Bravia TV.

HDMI connected.

I've done nothing else to this system recently other than windows10 updates. So no changes to BIOS at all & this has happened.

• 8. Re: Unsupported signal. Check device output
                        DaveSanderson

Yes, you are right xTropodx, it most definitely is Windows 10.

Apparently, version 1703 build 15063.674 was the latest build that was safe for my system using Optane Memory.  Without the Optane Memory I was able to upgrade later builds of Windows 10 satisfactorily.

Microsoft engineers are supposed to be looking into this problem according to the Microsoft Customer Support person who had to get engineers involved to look at this problem.

I have had to turn off the Windows update facility and wait for the next major update.  I'm definitely going to backup everything (or even make a disk image) before I do any my updates.

Thanks to everyone that assisted, and it helps anyone suffering the same problems.

DacorDave

• 9. Re: Unsupported signal. Check device output
                          Intel Corporation

Hello DaveSanderson,

I do apologize that we were unable to find a solution for the issue other than wait for a fix from Microsoft®.

Still, I am submitting a feedback to let my superiors know about this problem and that it is apparently related to the Windows® Fall Creators Update (version 1709) with the hope they can find a workaround as soon as possible.

Regards,

Xavier A.

• 10. Re: Unsupported signal. Check device output
                            Intel Corporation

Hello DaveSanderson,

I have good news for you.  A few days ago, a new driver was released and it provided fixes for issues related to compatibility with Windows® 10 Fall Creators.

You can try updating the driver before upgrading the operating system to get better support.  I would recommend you to first uninstall and delete the current driver, and the do a manual installation of the driver.

Please follow the steps below to uninstall the graphics driver:

1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc
                            2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
                            3. Find the Intel® Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
                            4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
                            5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
                            6. Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.
                            Please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
                            1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27266/a08/win64_15600.4849.zip
                            2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
                            3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
                            4. Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
                            5. Expand the Display adapters section.
                            6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
                            7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
                            8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
                            9. Click "Have Disk".
                            10. Click "Browse".
                            11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
                            12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
                            13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
                            14. Reboot your computer.
                            Please let me know if this fixes the issue.

Regards,

Xavier A.
                            • 11. Re: Unsupported signal. Check device output
                              PeterFdH

Hi there,

I had pretty much the same issue: downloaded the Windows 10 Fall Creator Update on my HP Notebook and then could no longer connect to my Sony TV (not a Bravia though) where it game the unsupported signal message.  The notebook is a 64-bit with a Intel 620 graphics driver.

I followed your instructions above and it worked like a charm.  Thank you so much!