2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2017 5:06 PM by Intel Corporation

Pyrealsense2: Colorizer not working / no implmentation of Align

ryank

Hello All,

I'm having a bear of a time getting up and running with Pyrealsense2 python bindings as part of the Intel RealSense SDK v2.7.9 release (with the ultimate goal of using it with OpenCV 3.3's python bindings).  I can't seem to find much actual documentation on use and almost no examples.  Generally, because the bindings are advertised as Cython wrappers I assume that less some obvious syntactical differences any C++ example should work using the python wrappers.  I've already run into three issues I can't figure out doing this and would be very grateful if anyone reading this can help me out a bit (or point me in the right direction)!

Colorize Doesn't Colorize:

Using the following snippet adapted from the simple example in the repo:

# First import the library
      import numpy as np
      import cv2
      import pyrealsense2 as rs2

c = rs2.colorizer()

# Create a context object. This object owns the handles to all connected 
      # realsense devices
      pipeline = rs2.pipeline()
      pipeline.start()

while True:
        # This call waits until a new coherent set of frames is available on a 
        # device. Calls to get_frame_data(...) and get_frame_timestamp(...) on a
        # device will return stable values until wait_for_frames(...) is called.
        frames = pipeline.wait_for_frames()
        color = frames.get_color_frame()
        depth = frames.get_depth_frame()

if (not depth) or (not color): 
          print("Color or Depth not available!")
          break

depth_RGB = c.colorize(depth)
        depth_img = np.asanyarray(depth_RGB.get_data())

# Show the image in a new window
        cv2.namedWindow("Depth",cv2.WINDOW_NORMAL)    
        cv2.resizeWindow("Depth",640,480)
        cv2.imshow("Depth",depth_img)
        cv2.waitKey(0) 

I get an image that looks something like below.  It's limited to a reduced ROI in the full depth sensor field of view, "squashed" vertically, and certainly not re-colorized into 3 channel RGB of BGR.

Screenshot from 2017-10-03 17-19-41.png

Can't Discard Null Frame References:

In the same script I have the issue that the color frame stream always returns null frame references and the depth frame stream sometimes does as well.  When this happens the statement `if (not depth) or (not color): break` is unsuccessful at preventing get_data from throwing an exception with `RuntimeError: null pointer passed for argument "frame_ref"`

No Implementation of Align:

A look at python.cpp seems to suggest that the python bindings do not implement the equivalent of rs2::context.create_align(RS2_STREAM_COLOR) as shown in the align C++ example.  Is that the case, is this planned for future implementation?

I'm getting the sense it might be a better idea to work with librealsense exclusively in C++ to write a subroutine for frame grabbing, alignment transformation, and processing/clipping that called from a python environment with numpy and the OpenCV python bindings.  Does that sound right?

Thanks again!

System Configuration
      Camera ModelSR300
      Firmware Version3.21.0.0
      Operating System VersionUbuntu 16.04 LTS
      Kernel Version4.10.0-35-generic (UVC Patched)