2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2017 12:25 PM by eddy.cuevas

Is Intel VT-x/EPT not supported by Q9550?

eddy.cuevas

Hello Community,

Is Intel VT-x/EPT not supported by Q9550?

I am asking because a warning of VMware Workstation "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform" due to that I can't perform esxi host and GNS3 VM. My PC is a Dell Optiplex 780 in the Bio:

Enable Intel(R) Virtualization Technology is: Checked
      Enable Intel(R) VT for Direct I/O is: Checked
      Enable Intel(R) Trusted Execution Technology is: Unchecked
      Enable CPU XD Support is: Checked

See attached pictures for more info

The Bio is updated to the latest version

Thank you

• 1. Re: Is Intel VT-x/EPT not supported by Q9550?
          N.Scott.Pearson

Actually, both VT-x and VT-d are supported by the (vPro-enabled) Q9550 processor. In order for these features to be used, this processor must be combined with a vPro-enabled chipset. I see that the Dell Optiplex 870 indeed has a vPro-enabled chipset, namely Q45, so these features should be supported.

EPT (Extended Page Tables) is an Intel second-generation x86 virtualization technology for the memory management unit (MMU). EPT support is found in Intel's Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs (amongst others). Unfortunately, the Q9550, which is a Core 2 Quad processor, supports only first-generation x86 virtualization technology.

Bottom line, VMware Workstation is not going to work on this processor as EPT support is a requirement. I have to say, why you would want to attempt to run VMware on this ancient, 9-year-old machine is beyond me. It can only support 4GB of memory, which is (IMHO) far too little to reasonably support VM operation.

Sorry,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is Intel VT-x/EPT not supported by Q9550?
            eddy.cuevas

Scott, thank you so much for this helpful explanation, I haven't changed the PC because I didn't understand the problem.

You're rock buddy!