1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2017 2:44 PM by rohanK23

Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board

rohanK23

Hi,

I know there is a document on how to connect a pixhawk to the compute board. Howwver I am having trouble understanding the wires and the steps.

Can you please give me step by step instructions on how to do this ?

- I have the compute board flashed with kernel

- fpga is flashed

- Connect Pixhawk Flight Controller  over USB and configure  TELEM2 as  the Companion Link.       --> How to do this and what wires to use ?

- Connect to the Intel Aero Compute Board   --> Again, which wires and how ?

intel_corp

intel_admin

best

Rohan

• 1. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Rohan,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Aero Compute Board.

Could you please tell me which guide you are following to connect the Pixhawk to the Aero Compute Board?

I have seen this guide https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/aero/apu-161110-pixhawk-flight-guide.pdf but there is no mention of Connect Pixhawk Flight Controller over USB and configure  TELEM2 as the Companion Link.

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
          Andres V.

• 2. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
            rohanK23

Hi Andres,

I was probably looking at an old document. Is this the latest document ? I am following it now.

For step 5) Connect to the Pixhawk Controller

How should I connect it to the UART port on the compute board ? Here is a picture I have.

What wire goes from the Controller to the compute board ?  There is a 3 pin splitter to access the UART pins. I suppose I am suppose to use that to connect to the Pixhawk. But I do not see any wire that would fit .  Can you please send me a pic of your setup or help me out here with my connections ?

Do I connect Pixhawk to the IO expansion slot ? I have attached a pic of that as well. Let me know.

Also, how is the Pixhawk getting power ? I do not have a lipo battery for it. Let me know the power connection for the Pixhawk.

Thanks

Rohan

• 3. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
              rohanK23

I think I need a Lipo to power the Pixhawk.

>> I found a lipo lying around.

How do I connect the TELEM2 to the compute board ?

The doc says " Connect to the Pixhawk Flight Controller: Connect the Aero  UART port to the Pixhawk flight controller through its Telemetry (UART)  interface Telem 2”  .. Where does the wire fit on the compute board ?
              >>  I think it fits on the "80 - pin  Accessories  Connector Pinout Definition" J5 Telemetry slot. Let me know if that is correct.

How will QGC on my workstation detect the Pixhawk ??  I need to somehow have QGC detect the Pixhawk so I can simulate a flying drone on QGC and see the MAVLINK messages come across. Let me know how to accomplish this step.

I have attached a pic with the TELEM2 connected to the J5 slot on the 80 pin connector. The battery is not connected in the pic. Let me know if this is correct. My workstation QGC still has no way to detect the Pixhawk.

• 4. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
                rohanK23

Hello Andres,

intel_corp

intel_admin

Can you please let me know if my setup (pic attached) is correct ?

I have the Pixhawk powered thru a 4S lipo. The TELEM2 is connected to the J5 Telemetry slot on the compute board (80 pin connector). The compute board is powered thru its HSUART.

How does the QGC installed on my workstation detect the flight controller ? I am trying to simulate a drone (view on QGC) and want to see how the flight controller sends MAVLINK messages in my app that I have installed on the compute board. 20170928_105119.jpg

• 5. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
                  rohanK23

Hello Andres,

Please send me a pic of how you connect the Pixhawk to the compute board. I do not seem to have any wire that would connect. The 3 pinout from the HSUART does not fit into the 6 pinout of the TELEM2 on the Pixhawk.

I connected the Pixhawk to my laptop using the Micro USB port on the Pixhawk. That also powers the Pixhawk apparently.

Thanks

Rohan

• 6. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Rohan,

This picture shows the wiring between the Aero Compute Board and the Pixhawk board:

20170928_143032.jpg

This is a custom wire, made to connect the HUART (Power + HUART port) and the TELEM 2 on the Pixhawk. Please check the corresponding pinout:

Power + HUART port                         Pixhawk (TELEM 2 port)
                    GND (black)                      <--->          GND (pin 6)
                    HSUART_TX (blue)          <--->           RX (pin 2)
                    HSUART_RX (yellow)       <--->           TX (pin 3)

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                    Andres V.

• 7. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
                      rohanK23

Hello Andres,

Where can I get that wire that connects to the 3 pin out of the HSUART and to the TELEM2 on the Pixhawk ?  Can you tell me if I can buy it off from anywhere ?

Thanks

Rohan

• 8. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Rohan,

That is a custom-made cable, and that is why I attached the color and pin labels, so you can build your own.

Regards,
                        Andres

• 9. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
                          rohanK23

Okay. When you say build your own - what do you mean ? Like solder and stuff ? I am not an electrician and Ive never done it before.

Is that pic you sent from the RTF drone ? Is that how its connected inside the RTF ?

What about the J5 Telemetry pinout that is on the 80 pin connector that came with the compute board ? Can I use that to connect to the Pixhawk TELEM2 ? Do I need to do anything different ?

• 10. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
                            Intel Corporation

Hello Rohan,

It is not strictly mandatory to solder the joints in the custom cable but it is recommended. Building custom cables is not a complex task, there is a lot of information on the web. I personally like the Custom Cable Building video series found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkiBCtz13oI&t=631s.

The picture attached shows the connection between the RTF drone and the Pixhawk, the drone uses the Aero Compute board so it is the same setup you are interested in.

As mentioned in the following guide Connecting the Pixhawk Flight Controller to the Intel® Aero Compute Board (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/aero/apu-161110-pixhawk-flight-guide.pdf), the connection to the Pixhawk should be done through connector labeled “1” (the Power + UART Connector).

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                            Andres V.

• 11. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
                              rohanK23

Hello Andres,

I understand the connection needs to be done from the HSUART on the compute board. The 3 pinout from it needs to connect to a cable that would fit into the 3 pins in the TELEM2 port. It would be nice if you could just sell such a cable (especially if its cheap to make. It can be bundled with the compute board.

Thanks

Rohan

• 12. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
                                Intel Corporation

Hello Rohan,

I will inform the corresponding team of your request.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                                Andres V.

• 13. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
                                  rohanK23

Hi Andres,

Do you think this is something that can be arranged for ? Perhaps you can send us the entire connection (from the HSUART on to the compute board) ? We will definitely pay for it.  Or else we need to spend time making the connection.

Thanks

Rohan

• 14. Re: Connect pixhawk FC to intel compute board
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello Rohan,

Building and selling custom cables is out of the scope of this technical support team.

As I previously mentioned, building custom cables is not as complex (or time consuming) as one may think, especially in this case. I’d suggest you to give it a try.

If you have any update or another question, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                                    Andres V.

1 2 Previous Next