1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 26, 2017 12:39 PM by Intel Corporation

Expand RAID 5 by Replacing with Bigger HDs

andrew24

I have a 4-disk RAID that was built with 250GB SATA disks.  I have systematically replaced and rebuild with 4 2TB SATA disks.  Now all the drives are 2TB, and the system is still running like nothing happened.  The problem is the RAID size is stuck at 700GB--I don't seem to have an option to expand my RAID.  I am using RST 12.7.0.1936 opened from the BIOS, not the OS GUI.  The base OS is CentOS 6 (it is hosting other virtual machines).

Is it possible to expand this RAID without recreating it and losing the data?

IMG_7078.jpg

• 1. Re: Expand RAID 5 by Replacing with Bigger HDs
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello andrew24,

I understand you are trying to increase the size of the RAID 5 volume.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

Increasing the size of the RAID volume needs to be done from the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software (OS GUI).  This is a procedure that cannot be done from the RAID BIOS.

Since you are using CentOS the best option would be checking with the Linux* Community if they have or not developed an application similar to Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software you can use to increase the size of the RAID volume.

Another option would be installing Windows* on another drive in the same computer, install Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software, and then increase the size of the volume.

I attached a screenshot showing the steps to increase the size of the volume from Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software.

Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry.

Regards,
          Fred D.