Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Intel s5520sc full speed fans

idata
Employee

Hello, I got this used workstation with the s5520sc motherboard (2x 5550 Xeon) in the sc5600 chassis.

Everything works fine but the fans are always at the maximum speed. I already did the bios + sdr update from Intel's website and during the install the fans slow down but ramp up again after a few seconds. I don't have much experience with these boards and these powerful 12v 3A fans, so I'm stuck.

I should mention that I tried both the sdr option of this chassis and the custom one but they behave the same: the rpms o down during the setup but ramp up at max soon after...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have moved your query into the Servers forum where it will get a better answer.

...S

idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Correction: the motherboard is the S5520SC. Sorry for the typo

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello giammyzanna ,

I would like to mention that Intel has already discontinued support for this product; However, let me see what we can do to resolve this issue.

I was wondering if you could confirm the exact model of the chassis you are using. This would help us determine which fan headers we need to use.

You could confirm the correct fan installation using the following document:

https://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520sc/sb/E39546009_S5520SC_QSUG.pdf Intel Workstation Board S5520 SC Quick Start User's Guide

If the installation of the fan is correct, then it would be a good idea to capture the logs of the system to see what is being recorded by the BMC. You can capture the logs using the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19657/System-Information-Retrieval-Utility-sysinfo-For-UEFI?product=61105 System Information Retrieval Utility for UEFI

Best regards,

Caesar B.

idata
Employee

Hi, thank you for your reply. I know it is a older system so thank you for helping too.

The exact chassis model is SC5600LX which is in the SDR setup but even if I set that up the fans work at full speed. The fans are connected to CPU1, CPU2, FAN1, FAN3, FAN5.

For now I solved the problem by entering a custom chassis in the sdr setup with the "High ramp" (because the low and medium settings were making the pc too hot) setting and now the fans are moderately quiet (usable in an office). I checked the temperatures and they are pretty decent.

I'm attaching the sysinfo log.

Thank you

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

One thing I forgot to mention. This workstation is using a standard 1kW ATX PSU, not the original PSUs.

That's why it doesn't have the aux power header plugged in

idata
Employee

Hello giammyzanna,

Let me check on these logs and provide you with more details as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Caesar B.
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello giammyzanna,

It seems you are is using an unsupported chassis. Additionally, I suggest programming the FRUSDR properly as it is recording issues with Fans not having a specific threshold.

614 09/25/2017-12:40:22 Fan, (# 0x35) Warning event: Fan sensor 53 reports the sensor is in a low, but non-critical, and going lower state. Sensor reading: Unspecified. Threshold value: Unspecified. BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

615 09/25/2017-12:40:22 Fan, (# 0x35) CRITICAL event: Fan sensor 53 reports the sensor is in a low, critical, and going lower state. Sensor reading: Unspecified. Threshold value: Unspecified. BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

616 09/25/2017-12:40:22 Fan, (# 0x37) Warning event: Fan sensor 55 reports the sensor is in a low, but non-critical, and going lower state. Sensor reading: Unspecified. Threshold value: Unspecified. BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

617 09/25/2017-12:40:22 Fan, (# 0x37) CRITICAL event: Fan sensor 55 reports the sensor is in a low, critical, and going lower state. Sensor reading: Unspecified. Threshold value: Unspecified.

Based on the above events, I suggest updating FRU/SDR manually as shown at https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/updating_frusdr_on_epsd_server.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/updating_frusdr_on_epsd_server.pdf

Please post your findings here and let us know if you have any questions?

Best regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, I believe that it's what I already did with the EFI shell.

I downloaded the latest FRUSDR package (EFI) and ran it: in the last setup I did I marked "Other chassis" to prevent the maximum fan speed.

I don't understand why it says that it's a not compatible chassis... It's the sc5600lx, the one in this pic http://mediapool.getthespec.com/media.jpg?m=9dB32uA9XmomJZ1UdOqpxA%3D%3D&v=HR http://mediapool.getthespec.com/media.jpg?m=9dB32uA9XmomJZ1UdOqpxA%3D%3D&v=HR

Anyway, how's it possible to modify these threshold values? I read in these forums that it's possible to modify the SDR file manually...

Thank you

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello giammyzanna ,

We are not saying it is not compatible, it is not validated. Thus, manual configuration is required in order to make sure best performance is obtained.

Let me check for specific values that I could share with you so you accomplish this manual configuration.

Best regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello giammyzanna ,

I sent you a private message. Please reply with the requested information.

Best regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello giammyzanna ,

I would like to follow up on your case. I sent you a private message.

Please reply with the requested information for further assistance.

Best regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, I already replied with my phone number

0 Kudos