11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2017 4:53 AM by FGT

Galileo Gen 2  Board USB problem

candice555

Hi, everyone

I  am encountered two problems when i used the USB cable connect  my IPC  and Intel Galileo gen2  in Arduino IDE enviroment .

the first problem is when i insert the usb to the board , the "Unknown Device" will show in the deivce manager , so i can not install the usb driver with the "linux-cdc-acm.inf" file . So what can i do to handle this ?

the second problem is when i upload the code in arduino ide , the error "Configgfs-gadge: gadget : acm response on ttyGS0, err -22 "  will occured in the yocto linux , and i found the upload operation will take some minutes , i think it is strange .

Is there someone can help me ?

Best Regards,

• 1. Re: Galileo Gen 2  Board USB problem
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Candice555,

Thanks for reaching out.

First, I recommend you to try to upload your Galileo’s firmware to the latest version and install the drivers according to the Getting Started with Galileo Board. The latest firmware is the 1.1.1 version and in “Step 3: Set up a serial terminal” you will find instructions to install the drivers.  

Moreover, in order to install and use the Arduino IDE you can follow the instruction stated here: Installing the Arduino* IDE.

Let me know if this information helps.

Regards,
          -Yermi A.

• 2. Re: Galileo Gen 2  Board USB problem
            FGT

Hi candice555,

Just a minor detail about the order in which you need to do the steps:

a) Install drivers

b) Upgrade firmware

c) Use the Arduino IDE

Installing drivers is done with (adapted from IoT):

1. Right-click the unknown device and select Update Driver Software....
            2. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
            3. look for the driver "linux-cdc-acm.inf".

If you do not have the "linux-cdc-acm.inf", please let me know, it's downloadable from the Intel site.

Once the USB connection is recognized, you will be able to upgrade the Intel Galileo firmware.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 3. Re: Galileo Gen 2  Board USB problem
              candice555

Hi ,

I am really appreciate for you help.

But I can not install the driver , and the error please see attach .  I found if the usb cable occured the "CDC Serial" , i can use this "linux-cdc-ac.inf"  driver file to install successfully. But it did not work when the error is "unknown device" .

And i found this problem in the IOT2040 which use the galileo gen 2 board .   Did i need to upgrade the firmware ?

best regards ,

• 4. Re: Galileo Gen 2  Board USB problem
                FGT

candice555 wrote:

Hi ,

I am really appreciate for you help.

But I can not install the driver , and the error please see attach . I found if the usb cable occured the "CDC Serial" , i can use this "linux-cdc-ac.inf" driver file to install successfully. But it did not work when the error is "unknown device" .

Take into account that the COM port you should use would be one of those identified as/under

"Ports (COM & LPT)"

not as/under

"Universal Serial Bus Controllers"

I've seen this behavior/kind of identification in some windows environments and it works even when it is not explicitly mentioned as "Galileo". In the image you sent, the Intel Galileo port should be that identified as

"USB Serial Port (COM5)"

thus, you should use COM5 in the Arduino IDE. In case of doubt, unplug the Intel Galileo USB connection, check the Device Manager list corresponding to the "Ports (COM & LPT)" devices, plug in the Intel Galileo again and the new COM port is the one corresponding to the Intel Galileo, and the one that should be also used in the Arduino IDE.

candice555 wrote:

And i found this problem in the IOT2040 which use the galileo gen 2 board . Did i need to upgrade the firmware ?

I don't know IOT2040 in detail, but it seems to be a Siemens product, not an Intel one, even when IOT2040 uses the same processor, so I think you should ask in a Siemens forum.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 5. Re: Galileo Gen 2  Board USB problem
                  candice555

Hi FGT, thank you for you reply.

But the com5 port appear in the device manager is due to  the FTDI cable , not the usb cable .

The usb cable show is the "unknown device " in the  "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" , because when i extract the cable it will disappear . So it did not recognized  in the "Ports (COM & LPT)".

The usb cable driver of IOT2040 which i also used is "linux-cdc-ac.inf". Sometime it will install successfully ,show the " Galileo(com23)"  in the "Ports (COM & LPT)". But i find the speed of uploading in arduino is very slow, and the error "Configgfs-gadge: gadget : acm response on ttyGS0, err -22 "  will occured in the yocto linux.

This question i can not get answer in the siemens forum , so i ask for help in there to check if someone also encountered or not  .

best regards

• 6. Re: Galileo Gen 2  Board USB problem
                    FGT

Let's go with only one problem at once...

a) Turn off everything (computer and Intel Galileo, specifically, and every other card, eventually)

b) Unplug everything (USB and FTDI cable specifically)

c) Turn on only the computer and take the screenshot of the Device Manager and include it in the reply to this post.

d) Turn on only the Intel Galileo (do not turn off the computer, of course)

e) Connect the USB of the Intel Galileo to the computer, take the screenshot of the Device Manager and include it in the reply to this post

f) Take a picture of the Intel Galileo connected to the computer, where the USB cable can be identified and include it in the reply to this post

Thus, I'll be able to compare the Device Manager before and after plugging in the Intel Galileo and identify how your computer recognizes the USB connection without any other card/cable connected.

Fernando.

• 7. Re: Galileo Gen 2  Board USB problem
                      candice555

Hi FGT ,

Thank you for your reply.

I already do what your suggest to do, please see below .

• nothing connect , only turn on the computer

nothing connect.png

• Connect the USB of the Intel Galileo to the computer

usb only connect galileo.png

• only Intel Galileo connected to the computer, compare to the second step  i only reboot the board , the result is below , it can recognized

usb connect galileo and recongnize.png

Before i did not reboot this board , so it still showed "unknown device" .

• 8. Re: Galileo Gen 2  Board USB problem
                        candice555

Then i want to talk with you  about the second problem.

The speed of uploading in arduino is very slow, and the log information "Configgfs-gadge: gadget : acm response on ttyGS0, err -22 "  will shown in the yocto linux. Do you encounter this question ?

And if it transfer complete i open the serial monitor to check the output information , i found there is nothing to show . So i think  whether it is the problem of usb driver or not . Because the serial monitor can not work normally.

• 9. Re: Galileo Gen 2  Board USB problem
                          FGT

Hi candice555,

The behavior is very strange, the Intel Galileo should not be restarted in order to be recognized... please follow my previous post and

> f) Take a picture of the Intel Galileo connected to the computer, where the USB cable can be identified and include it in the reply to this post

so maybe seeing the connection setting shows something else... are you using USB 3.0 in your computer for connecting to the Intel Galileo? If so, please try to use a 2.0 connection.

Image result for usb 3.0

(Left: 2.0, Right: 3.0).

Avoid using a USB hub or USB extension cord... I don't see a reason other than the USB connection...

HTH,

Fernando.

• 10. Re: Galileo Gen 2  Board USB problem
                            candice555

Sorry , the device i applyed is iot2040 which use the intel galileo gen 2 board and the driver is at the same as the intel galileo gen2.

The another port of usb is connect the ipc .

IMG_20170926_0906142.jpg

the usb i used is usb2.0, both of them can recognized.

IMG_20170926_0855451.jpg

• 11. Re: Galileo Gen 2  Board USB problem
                              FGT

I think now it is clear: you are working with a product similar to an Intel Galileo, not an Intel Galileo. The device you are using includes an Intel Galileo and yocto as operating system, but, once again, it is not an Intel Galileo, it is a Siemens iot2040. I didn't find any reference to Intel Galileo in Siemens iot2040 documentation pages/documents, because it is not.

candice555 wrote:

IOT2040 which use the galileo gen 2 board

Everything seems to indicate you are not (at least, I did not find any Siemens documentation about it), it uses a similar card, one defined and implemented by Siemens. Thus,

I think you should ask in a Siemens forum.

EDIT: Siemens seems to have a support forum... e.g.

iot2040 - What would be the base image/bsp to uses since it has 2 serial ports? - Entries - Forum - Industry Support - S… 

Very slow uploading - Entries - Forum - Industry Support - Siemens

(the latter includes some replies which maybe help you, e.g. "The driver looks standard, it should even be the one shipped by Windows (Intel only ships the metadata). Maybe a cabling issue? Tried a different USB cable as well already?").

BR,

Fernando.