1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 2:46 PM by Salem_Intel

D510MO boot problems & instability

ran2009

Hi all, I have a D510MO with 2GRAM 800Mhz + SATA HDD;   I have updated to the latest march 2010 BIOS release;  I have big problems to get the board up&running; namely:

1) I was able to install a CentOS ( alias RHE 9) linux distributions only after several trials, due to the install process getting blocked after some time ( i.e. after 2-5 minutes of activity...)

2) when the board locks, the only way the get it boot again is by unplugging the PS and wait several minutes, then plug the PS again

3) very often to get the board boot again I must perform the 2) step few times because the board does not boot at all.

4) installing a second ethernet PCI board in the PCI expansion,  if I plug/unplug the ethernet cable into it the board suddenly reboot.

5) if,  I am lacky enough to have the linux prompt available, the machine stay up for few minutes, then  gets locked or restarts

6) I got the board blocked also few time while at the BIOS level !

Does anybody have/had similar problems ?

any help/suggestion/hint is warmly welcome !!!

Luigi

• 1. Re: D510MO boot problems & instability
          Salem_Intel

Hi!

If the system's locking up even while in BIOS, I'd recommend the following just in case there's a BIOS corruption:

Reminder: Please, ensure you wear an anti-ESD bracelet on an anti-ESD surface (see http://tinyurl.com/7oobzc).

Unplug the power cord, remove all non-basic components; remove the RTC (Real Time Clock) battery and leave it out for 20 minutes. After this period of time, insert the battery back in, connect the power cord back in, and turn the system back into BIOS; then, do the following:

1. Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.

2. Reset any customized BIOS settings.

3. Clear all DMI event logs by setting the option to "Enable", which is located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility.

4. Finally, press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.

Note: A basic computer configuration would consist of the following: keyboard, mouse, processor, memory, hard drive, CD-ROM, floppy drive, video card, and monitor.   No other add-in should be installed.

Hope that helps!