8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2010 6:18 PM by spearson

DX38BT CPU Voltage question

li4me

System: DX38BT with an Intel Core2 Quad CPU @2.66GHz, Stepping 11

Windows 7 Proffesional, 8GB RAM (Win7 chooses to recognize only 4GB of it)

The system experiences periods of instability when it will just reboot out of the blue while I am working, comes right back up.

I installed the Intel Desktop Control Center and have been watching as the CPU voltage moves between 1.18V and 1.26V

The variation seems to be tied to system load, and I suspect that more often than not it is when I am running several programs that it chooses to reboot.

My main question is; should the CPU voltage vary in this way, could it be what is causing the spontaneous reboots?

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  I have been living with this for a while and its driving me nuts

Thank you

Steven Wheeler

• 1. Re: DX38BT CPU Voltage question
          spearson

It is perfectly normal for you to see the Processor Vcc voltage level changing; the processor does so regularly based upon workload requirements. This doesn't explain your reboot issues, I know. Do you have the latest BIOS installed? Have you verified that the memory that you are using is supported by the board (meets voltage requirements, etc.)?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DX38BT CPU Voltage question
            li4me

I have the latest BIOS installed (as of a couple of hours ago).  I also updated to the latest network driver. System got very flaky.
            Finally figured out that I had to reboot and go into setup, F9 everything to defaults.  When I came back up, new drivers installed and I had to reboot again.

Now the Rapid Storage Technology RAID app will not run, says service is not running.  I look in services and it says Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology service is started.  I already had the lastest RST drivers installed (9.5.0.1037), I think I'll try to install again.

System has not rebooted in the last 30 minutes, that's a plus.  :-}

Oy vey!

• 3. Re: DX38BT CPU Voltage question
              li4me

Even worse, RAID is not working at all now.  This is a disaster.

• 4. Re: DX38BT CPU Voltage question
                spearson

Go into BIOS Setup and then into the Advanced and then Drive Configuration scenes. Make sure the Configure SATA as setting is set to RAID; it is often defaulted to IDE from F9...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DX38BT CPU Voltage question
                  li4me

I rebooted and reset the RAID (need to make a note of that to myself).  Note that as IDE the system came up just fine (without RAID protection of course)

When I booted in RAID config, Win7 went into self repair mode, and finally came up.  Now the system is in worse shape than ever.

It will work for a while and then the drive light will go on and stay on for hours at a time, blinking now and then, CPU (on a quad core) at 90% plus when task manager actually updates, system non-responsive most of the time (I am writing this on my wifes computer).  If I click on something it may come up (such as starting task manager) within literally a few minutes.  It appears to me that the RAID is causing the issue but I cannot verify.  The disks underlying the system mirror volume are twin Seagate SATA 250GB which I have never had problems with.  I can;t think of anything else to do at this point but to wipe and rebuild the system.  BUT, because of the RAID/non-RAID/RAID sequence, my backups are gone on my other disk, thus all of my personal files are gone.  If I rebuild I will lose everything.

Any other thoughts?

Update: disk activity has finally stopped, but system is complety hung.   When rebooting from this condition this morning the system did a chkdsk when it came back up, which took over 45 minutes.  I am about to reboot again and see if I can get my data off the volume

• 6. Re: DX38BT CPU Voltage question
                    spearson

What have you done? You've obviously left some steps that you performed out of your descriptions. What do you mean by "RAID/Non-RAID/RAID" operation? If you have the drives in a RAID array and you booted with the BIOS configured in non-RAID mode, you should not have successfully booted and your HDD contents should not have been touched -- unless you did something else at the same time. Did you do something else? Did you issue a format or run a chkdsk or something similar that might affect drive contents? These could put you into a bad state - one you may not recover from without starting from scratch. Now, why would your backups be affected? Did you not put them on a totally separate (and typically non-RAID) volume? If you didn't, you exposed them to being lost along with everything else...

Back to your original problem. Did you take an existing system and choose to then upgrade it to Win7? Did you upgrade your memory at the same time? Why do you say 8 GB but only 4 GB recognized? If you are running a 32-bit version of the O/S, which can only recognize 4 GB, do not put 8 GB into the system...

• 7. Re: DX38BT CPU Voltage question
                      li4me

Let me start at the beginning of this

1) Built my machine with 8GB of RAM, installed Linux (Slackware 12.2).  Ran fine but rebooted intermittently.

2) Decided to move to try Windows 7 as I had heard it was much better than XP, and I had a number of Windows apps I needed to run.  Brand new install of Win 7, onto RAID1 set of the two 250GB Seagate SATA drives.  Same problem, ran fine but rebooted intermittently.

3) As part of continuing to use the system I went ahead and mirrored my other 4 drives (2xWDC 500GB, 2xHDS 750GB) since as a UNIX Admin I had always kept everything on RAID vols, it was just safer.  Veritas RAID management could recover from any problem I had.

4) Got on the board here with my first message about the rebooting issue, first response asked if the BIOS was up to date.  It was not the latest so I downloaded and installed.  System came up on reboot but was very flaky, hanging, windows very slow in response when it did respond, mouse jerking around, etc.

5) I concluded that I needed to go into BIOS and set to defaults.  I rebooted and did just that.  Did not occur to me at the time (memory lapse I guess) that I had just reset SATA from RAID to IDE.

6) System came up clean (no chkdsk, nothing out of the normal) and actually ran pretty good, but of course there was no RAID protection, although at the time it did not occur to me why that was.

7) Posted another message and got a response from you that I needed to go into the BIOS and set SATA back to RAID

8) Set SATA back to RAID, Windows started to come up and went into repair mode, asked if I wanted the system repaired and I said yes.  It spun for a while (< 30 minutes) and came up looking clean.

9) After a while it went downhill, hanging then coming back, hanging for longer, then coming back, after a while it would be taking 5-10 minutes to come back.  Rebooted again with a hard reset (only way to get out), and started Task Manager 1st thing.  Same sequence of events.  It would be fine for a while 20-30 minutes maybe and start going downhill again.  When Task Manager updated it would often show the CPU at 90-98%, but the process list for all users did not show a process using anywhere near that, except for system idle.  During these hangs the disk light was on almost 100% of the time, a blink here and there.  Some response to the the mouse, but then the mouse would hang with everything else.  Even the "rolling donut" activity icon would be stopped.

9) About 20 minutes ago I rebooted and set SATA back to IDE.  It rebooted off the first SATA drive, came up clean (no chkdsk, nothing out of the ordinary), and has been running fine ever since.

10) as for the RAM, Windows 7 shows that the RAM is there, all 8GB.  But it refuses to use it.  I researched this and its a limitation in the software licensing that Microsoft is enforcing.  Pretty chicken-**** in my opinion, but then I don't really have a high opinion any more of any large corporation and the mediocre ways they choose to do business.

so, bottom line; yep, something in RAID is not working well.  I am going to leave everything as non-RAID until I can safely rebuild my system and then do some testing.  At your implied suggestion I will not trust RAID for any files I really want to keep.  Obviously Intel RAID is not as enterprise ready as I am used to from the servers I supported in the past, or in comparison to Linux.

Thank you very much for trying to help, I truly appreciate it

Steven Wheeler

PS: I will post an update stating whether the non-RAID configuration is more stable.  So far it is.

Edit: One other item I forgot to mention.  Even though the system is in non-RAID config, IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe is running and using about 25% of CPU continually.  Keeping the system load (per Intel DCC) at about 33-35%.

• 8. Re: DX38BT CPU Voltage question
                        spearson

Gee, I wasn't referring to any stability concerns with RAID, just that of putting all your eggs in one basket. Sounds like you used separate drives for this, so that shouldn't have been an issue (famous last words). It sounds like, even though you are saying its Non-RAID, you may have volumes active anyway. Reboot and go into the RAID configuration manager (with Control-I) and see what it says...