11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2017 5:57 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel NUC7i3BNK can't turn it back on with remote

Steve5623

This is lengthy but for those who read it and for Intel, trying to avoid any unnecessary questions.  Been working in this for a long time.  I think eventually I get somewhere, but still not solved.

I am having trouble with my infrared port on my NUC.  Problem I've read others are having as well.  My problem is specifically around turning the unit on from sleep.  Other buttons seem to work including powering it off.  To start, my setup:

• Intel BOXNUC7I3BNK NUC Kit
      • Corsair Force MP500 Series M.2 SSD 120GB Internal Drive (CSSD-F120GBMP500)
      • Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) SODIMM 260-Pin - BLS2K4G4S240FSD (Gray)
      • Windows 10 Pro all updates
      • ITECIR and eHome Infared transceivers both show under HID in Device Manager
      • Connected to a Panasonic Plasma with HDMI cable, no CEC.

For drivers:

Only software on this system is KODI.  And frequently on my many Windows re-installs didn't bothering even with KODI.  The reason I bought the NUC was it would run Windows, and came integrated with infrared.  Infrared doesn't work?  No value.

Bios Settings of relevance:

• Enhanced Consumer IR checked
      • Unchecked HDMI CEC Control due to other forums with people troubleshooting IR that sounded like this may tie to loosing the IR all together.
      • S3 and S4/S5 set to allow wake on CIR
      • Power set to Max Performance

What's happening:

I have a number of remotes, all of them 95% of the buttons work, including putting the device to sleep/off, only 1 (Harmony) can actually bring the device out of sleep and online again but not the remote I want to use.  The remotes I'm testing with:

• Harmony 880 programmed as a Microsoft Digital Media Remote.  This remote has zero ability to turn on/off my XBox 360, however it's discrete on and off, as well as it's power toggle button will turn the NUC on and off.  All other functions work as well on the NUC.

• Microsoft XBox 360 newer media remote.  All functions work on this remote except power on (pressing the XBOX button on top right).  This will turn on and off an XBox 360 though.  I mention this because there seems to be a difference between how/what signals the buttons are sending.  The Harmony can't control the XBox but can the NUC.  This remote can control the XBox power on and off and all functions except power on for the NUC .

xbox360remote-black.png

• Also have the older XBox 360 media remote.  This one functions the same as the newer XBox 360 media remote above.

xbox360remote-white.png

According to Intel's ecosystem list, the last two remotes above are supposed to be compatible:

chart.png

Things I've tried without any change in intended results to get the power on working.  Each was done with a refresh of the OS so no overlaps:

• Windows 10 out of the box.
      • Windows 8 with as many drivers as I could get ot work.  The IR drivers did install and show the CIR and eHome drivers.
      • Tried the MCE remote mapper tool but that seemed to have no impact.  Tried setting the X button to wake but nothing. 
      • Tried going in registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}\Four-digit_number and setting ForceHCResetOnResume to 1.
      • Tried going in registry Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da and changed CodeSetNum0 to 0.  Also tried with just that change and deleting CodeSetNum1 - 3
      • Tried going in registry Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da and changed CodeSetNum0 to 8 as some say.  Also tried with just that change and deleting CodeSetNum1 - 3
      • Tried in regedit  going to key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da"  and in "ReportMappingTable"  change the line "0c,00,00,00,03,82,00," to "0c,00,00,00,03,81,00,".  Sounded more for shutdown but tried it.
      • On the eHome Receiver in Device Manager I have it set to not allow the computer to turn off the device to save power.  The open to allow to wake is grayed out.
      • I decide well why is everyone saying to go to the RC6 only registry entry I go to the RC6 XBox 360 area instead at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57df.  I change the "0c,00,00,00,03,82,00," to "0c,00,00,00,03,81,00,".  After rebooting remote doesn't work to send to sleep.  OK that's something that it effected the remote.
      • Sticking with this, I try Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57df.  I change the "0c,00,00,00,03,82,00," to "0c,00,00,00,03,83,00,".  This time it shuts down the computer completely.  No ability to turn it back on again from remote as usual.
      • Then tried Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57df.  I change the "0c,00,00,00,03,82,00," to "0c,00,00,00,04,04,3D,".  This time Windows asked if I wanted to shutdown.  When i clicked enter it shutdown but couldn't power on still with the remote.

This was supposed to be a simple project for my father who is in a home to watch movies and enhance his life.  It's turned into a two month nightmare for me.  I know there are many threads out here with similar problems.  Can someone please help?  And the point of my effort in documenting this is I have all the drivers, bios update, HDMI 2.0 update, etc.  No stone left unturned that I know of.  Any help?  I can no longer return this to Amazon as my time has expired to do so.  Thinking the trick is in the XBOX360 RC6 branch of the registry "maybe?" but can't figure it out.  Still scratching my head why my Harmony remote turns it on and off with the power toggle or the power on and power off discrete commands.

Note since I've already spent a lot of money on remotes that don't work and actually have another NUC on it's way to test it, glad to physically send Intel whatever they want to test.  The NUC, the remotes, whatever.  This would eliminate Intel "not being able to reproduce this problem" that I see lots of people having in various ways.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Steve

• 1. Re: Intel NUC7i3BNK can't turn it back on with remote
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Steve5623,

I understand some of the remote controls are not able to wake the computer from sleep mode.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer.  Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach a file, you must click “Use Advanced Editor” on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the “attach” option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,
          Fred D.

• 2. Re: Intel NUC7i3BNK can't turn it back on with remote
            jogal

Dear Intel guys:

You should know that the wake-up functionality (power on from off-mode) does not depend on anything other than the BIOS.

Please do not waste our time asking us for information on the configuration of the operating system, drivers or windows registry.

This is irrelevant! The problem is in the BIOS.

Please escalate this issue to someone who knows how a PC works.

Thank you very much.

Regards.

• 3. Re: Intel NUC7i3BNK can't turn it back on with remote
              Intel Corporation

Hello jogal,

Let me do further research about this and come back to you.  I will post information on this forum thread as soon as I have it available.

Regards,
              Fred D.

• 4. Re: Intel NUC7i3BNK can't turn it back on with remote
                Intel Corporation

Hello Steve5623,

The remote controls you are using have been validated for different models of Intel® NUCs so we cannot guarantee all of the buttons will work fine on your Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNK.

The remote controls that have been validated for your specific Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNK can be found in the following link under the Other Devices category https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-kits/000023164.html

If possible test one of the remote controls that are on the link I provided above.

Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry.

Regards,
                Fred D.

• 5. Re: Intel NUC7i3BNK can't turn it back on with remote
                  jogal

These Intel guys are stupid:

We are reporting a particular bug: (no power on with XBOX remotes)

And instead of trying to reproduce THE problem (on Intel side and fix) we have to change our remotes until find one that happens to work :))

The problem is not that "some button" does not work. The problem is "no POWER ON from XBOX remotes" all models (360 / One / White / BLACK)

It is frustrating.  :((

I think what's happening is clear:

NUC7I3BNH IR Power On not working (One)

NUC6CAYH switch on with Remote not working

NUC7I5BNK Power ON from Microsoft XBOX 360 Media Remote not working (360)

Intel NUC7i3BNK can't turn it back on with remote  (360 / WHITE)

• 6. Re: Intel NUC7i3BNK can't turn it back on with remote
                    Steve5623

Fred,

Main problem with your response is two fold:

1.  if I go to Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNK and scroll down, the ecosystem link on that page shows the two remote i bought as acceptable.  Doesn't matter if there is another list, or the link is wrong, I purchased the above remotes and now can not return them because of your website.  So intel needs go take the 30 seconds its going to take to add these remote codes to the bios.  Heck I'll even tell you what the codes are.

2.  If I did buy one of these remotes, is intel going to pay for them? or pay when it doesn't work based on the others responses?  I can tell from the responses from others here this is a hot item not getting resolved.  Either you folks have to sell a remote with it or support more than one power on code whatever that is.

Let me know if you are going to fix this, just say the link was wrong, or something else.  if you aren't going to take the small effort it would take to add a couple IR codes to the bios, after the last bios update had like nothing in it, let me know how Intel can help facilitate returning at least the NUC to Amazon.  Its past the month return period so cant return it and without a working remote is useless for its need.

thanks 

Steve

• 7. Re: Intel NUC7i3BNK can't turn it back on with remote
                      jogal

Best of all is that the remote that recommends the other link posted by Fred (XBOX One) does not work either....

The priority for Intel is not to fix the problem, it seems that the priority is to try to prove that we are wrong (or we are fools) and that they are right.

It's useless to post in this forum, they will not solve anything because I am sure that they do not even communicate the problems to Intel (the people, engineers and developers who can solve them)

This forum is just a firewall to try to satisfy and silence the masses.

• 8. Re: Intel NUC7i3BNK can't turn it back on with remote
                        Steve5623

Well hopefully they will do something though I see the same issue in my other thread.  Let's try and look at this as we are customers who need help, the Intel reps work at a decent company and understand the value of their job and want to help.  After all, if not, start pondering in general why sit in a job you aren't making a difference in.

For what it's worth, if you can use this IR hex format:

• Black Xbox  360 remote XBOX power button uses code: 0x800f740c
                        • White Xbox 360 Remote On/Off power button uses code: 0x800f740c
                        • My old universal remote that does work but not usable for this uses code: 0x800f0429
                        • There are also some standard power and wake commands in the RC6 protocol I could provide if you like.
                        • And for good measure have an HP RC6 remote that doesn't work at all but uses for power rotation codes of: 0x8011840c and 0x8011040c

So here's the thing.  To make this right, all you would have to do is have your developers find where they have the 0x800f0429 code in the bios, and add listening on 0x800f740c and if you really want to add the HP RC6 commands as well.  Not sure how standard the HP ones are.

Thanks.

Steve

• 9. Re: Intel NUC7i3BNK can't turn it back on with remote
                          rguevara

Hello Steve5623,

We are looking into this request and I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 10. Re: Intel NUC7i3BNK can't turn it back on with remote
                            MrMitch

Strange that an XBOX 360 remote is even on the compatibility list since the NUC is NOT an Xbox 360. I have tried a bunch of RC6 MCE remotes, both Microsoft branded and generic and have not had any issues powering on and off the NUC. I have tried an Xbox One remote and it does not work at all either.

Obviously you had a Harmony remote work at one time, so it is not a bad CIR port. Have you tried any other PC made media remotes?

Thanks.

mrhunter9 ...

• 11. Re: Intel NUC7i3BNK can't turn it back on with remote
                              Intel Corporation

Hello Steve5623,

I sent a private message to you.  Please check your inbox.

Regards,
                              Fred D.