Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Gigabit ET Quad Port Server Adapter Not posting on z87,h85 or z97

mp2
Beginner

i have a Network Adapter "Intel(R) Gigabit ET Quad Port Server Adapter" that I'm attempting to use to build a esxi whitebox now it works on a amd system fine so I went to upgrade to a xeon e3-1220 v3 on a z87 motherboard "gigabyte g1 m5" and when the Quad Nic is installed the machine will not post it halts at code 62 "Installation of PCH runtime services" I'm am at a loss here the full specs are

gigabyte g1 sniper m5 z87

xeon e3-1220v3

24gb ddr3 160mhz

marvell SAS controller(no post even without this controller)

I have had this machine running fine before running esxi but as soon as the intel nic is installed it it will not post it just hangs with a blinking cursor before anything else appears on the screen and it ns fine without Nic

I tried it on a z97 board and a h87 board with same results

I tried it on a amd 785 board and it works fine esxi sees it and it fuctions

any help is greatly appreciated

-k1

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello k1ltu,

Thank you for joining the Intel® community.

I will move your thread to the Wired Ethernet community for further assistance.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi K1ltu,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. You may want to try the following:

1) Upgrade the board BIOS, please get in touch with Gigabyte your board vendor for the upgrade

2) Please check on this website to visit the Vmware* support for the driver.

3) Try disable the onboard NIC if there is

4) You may also want to check with your board vendor if this network adapter model is compatible with the board, since the issue occurred when you install this network adapter.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
mp2
Beginner

thanks for the response here's what i have tried

the board is at the latest firmware as is the 3 other boards i've tried the nic in

the specific reason i got the card is it is the most recommended card for vmware home labs by both vmware and the community due to its rock solid support and stability in ESXi

i tried disabling the onboard nic after you suggested it but it made no difference

and as for checking board compatibility it seems to only have issues inside intel systems i have tried it in 2 amd machines and both work and i have now tried it in 4 1155 boards to no avail with chipsets ranging from x58 to z97

is there a way i can reset and update the firmware of the nic i tried googling but to no avail all i could find was how to set things like iscsi or pxe settings

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi K1ltu,

Thank you for the updates but we do not have firmware for ET Quad port server adapter. Based on what you test, seems to be compatible issue with the boards.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi K1ltu,

Please feel free to update me if you still need further assistance? Have you contact the board vendor to check on the compatibility?

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
mp2
Beginner

gigabyte said it should work fine so long as the card supports uefi so since its obviously only a issue on intel boards(i've since tested on 2 am3 boards and it works fine) i'm looking into getting a few non-intel adaptors surely they will work better then not posting

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi K1Ltu,

Thank you for the clarification. Checking on the Gigabyte site, here are the list of supported CPU https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/G1Sniper-M5-rev-1x# sp G1.Sniper M5 (rev. 1.x) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE , maybe you can try using other CPU to test to see if this will make any difference. Thanks.

Please feel free to update me if further assistance needed.

Regards,

Sharon
0 Kudos