9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2017 11:42 AM by th_Intel_Community

About Intel Aero RTF ...

th_Intel_Community

Hi there,

I have recently bought the RTF kit but I do NOT know how to control the motors properly using a programming language, either C, Python, or whatever-is-available...

Can I ask you if you know any good code or API I can use in order to:

1. Control the motors, speed, and the position of this drone in space or air ??

2. Get data from the sensor (i.e. altitude, speed, acceleration, position, and so on) ??

Thanks very much,

TH

• 1. Re: About Intel Aero RTF ...
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi TH,

Thanks for reaching out.

I would like to share the Intel Aero wiki page: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki. I’d recommend to take a look at 04 Autonomous drone programming in Python, there you will find some python scripts to arm/disarm the motors. Moreover, please take a look at the following discussion where you’ll find useful information about what you need: Intel Aero Drone commands to move motors.      

Additionally, refer to this guide in order to access the Sensors, GPIOs, LEDs, and CAN bus: 90 (References) Flight Controller and Compute Board: Sensors GPIOs LEDs CAN bus.

Hope you find this information useful.

Regards,
          -Yermi A.

• 2. Re: About Intel Aero RTF ...
            th_Intel_Community

Hi Yermi,

Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate that. Also,

- I will try to read sensor datasheet and see if I can get any luck on programming the sensor (i.e. mostly reading the sensor data in C and/or Python).

Thanks,
            TH

• 3. Re: About Intel Aero RTF ...
              Intel Corporation

You’re welcome. We are here to help you, good luck in your project.

Regards,
              -Yermi A.

• 4. Re: About Intel Aero RTF ...
                th_Intel_Community

Hi there,

I got into another issues recently. Can you help me please ?? Thanks.

1) is there any way to install a fresh operating system on intel aero rtf (i.e. fresh install from an official .iso image) ??

2) after "aero-reboot-update.py" is executed, the following message shows up during boot:

System doesn't have any USB boot option. Please select other boot option in Boot Manager Menu.

[i.e. I then clicked OK to by-pass this screen]

3) error after "aerofc-update.sh /etc/px4-fw/nuttx-aerofc-v1-default.px4" is executed, the following message shows up continuously:

If the board does not respond, unplug and re-plug the USB connector.

[i.e. the system is trying to reboot ... ]

4) error after "mount /etc/sda1 /mnt/usb" is executed, the following message shows up on the terminal:

mount: special device /etc/sda1 does not exist.

[i.e. the system does NOT recognize my USB drive any more ... ]

5) is it possible that I have done something weird or wrong with my hardware or software ?? how can I fix this ?? or at least, what should I do ??

Thanks,

TH

• 5. Re: About Intel Aero RTF ...
                  Intel Corporation

Hi TH,

In order to flash the latest Linux OS for the Aero RTF, you can find the .iso files in this site: Intel® Aero Platform for UAVs Installation Files and the instructions here: 02 Initial Setup which I think you have already tried.

First, I would like to know if your Aero can detect the USB drive, which should do automatically. With the USB not connected, enter the command ls /dev/sd* and post the output, then connect the USB drive and enter the command again, so if the USB drive is detected you should see one more result. Also, you can try using different USB drives to see if something changes and let me know if you are using an external hub. 

Moreover, could you please post the output of aero-get-viersion.py?

I’ll be waiting for your results.

Regards,
                  -Yermi A.

• 6. Re: About Intel Aero RTF ...
                    th_Intel_Community

Hi Yermi,

Thanks for your quick response.

I have attached my answers to your questions here.

USB HUB DETAILS::
                    4-port USB 3.0 Hub With OTG.

WITH USB HUB NOT CONNECTED::
                    root@intel-aero:~# ls /dev/sd*
                    ls: cannot access '/dev/sd*': No such file or directory

WITH USB HUB CONNECTED (AND WITH ONE USB FLASH DRIVE ATTACHED)::
                    root@intel-aero:~# ls /dev/sd*
                    /dev/sda  /dev/sda1

Well, apparently everything works fine today. It is strange that things failed yesterday and now it works.

YOUR COMMAND DID NOT RETURN ANY USEFUL RESULT::
                    root@intel-aero:~# aero-get-viersion.py
                    -sh: aero-get-viersion.py: command not found

HOWEVER, MY COMMAND RETURNED THE FOLLOWING RESULT::
                    root@intel-aero:~# aero-get-version.py
                    BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.13
                    OS_VERSION = Poky Aero (Intel Aero Linux Distro) 1.5.1 (pyro)"
                    AIRMAP_VERSION = 1.8
                    FPGA_VERSION = 0xc1

Also, I was just asking if it is possible for me to switch from one OS to another OS in case I have issues with build configurations...

Thanks,
                    TH

• 7. Re: About Intel Aero RTF ...
                      th_Intel_Community

Hi there,

I have been able to resolve a few issues recently (i.e. previous posts).

However, one numbered issue remains unresolved at this point. Can you help me please ??

3) error after "aerofc-update.sh /etc/px4-fw/nuttx-aerofc-v1-default.px4" is executed, the following message shows up continuously:

Loaded firmware for 41,0, size: 933324 bytes, waiting for the bootloader...

If the board does not respond within 1-2 seconds, unplug and re-plug the USB connector.

Attempting reboot on /dev/ttyS1 with baudrate=1500000...

Attempting reboot on /dev/ttyS1 with baudrate=460800...

[...]

- this message still shows up even after a fresh OS install is successfully complete. is it possible that there is something weird or wrong with the hardware, which I am NOT aware of at this point. How should i fix this issue ?? Or at least, what should I do now because without this PX4 firmware, the flight controller may NOT work properly, which renders my drone useless at this point.

My BIOS information is displayed below.

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.13

OS_VERSION = Poky Aero (Intel Aero Linux Distro) 1.5.1 (pyro)"

AIRMAP_VERSION = 1.8

FPGA_VERSION = 0xc1

Thanks,

TH

• 8. Re: About Intel Aero RTF ...
                        Intel Corporation

Hi TH,

Regarding that issue, please try the instructions indicated here:Can't update px4 firmware with 1.3.1 · Issue #133 · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero · GitHub  and let me know you results.

Regards,
                        -Yermi A. 

• 9. Re: About Intel Aero RTF ...
                          th_Intel_Community

Hi Yermi,

It works great.

Thanks,
                          Have a nice day,

TH