6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2017 1:05 PM by Intel Corporation

PXE Boot STK2m3W64CC

bbalz958

Is it possible to PXE boot the STK2m3W64CC? 

We are looking to deploy these as signage devices and the main advantage would be that we can image them and manage them all through SCCM.  We are hoping to just PXE boot them using USB adapters as we do for Surface devices currently and maintain the same process.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: PXE Boot STK2m3W64CC
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Compute Stick communities. We will do our best in order to provide the information you are looking for.

In regard to your inquiry, the Intel® Compute Stick does not support PXE boot, bear in mind that you will need the LAN port and the option to enable it in the BIOS, in this case these two are not available in the Intel® Compute Stick.

Now I will do further research in order to confirm if the PXE boot will work when using an USB adapter to LAN, on the link below you will see that Intel tested a couple of adapters:
          https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000017556.html

As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: PXE Boot STK2m3W64CC
            Intel Corporation

: I just wanted to let you know that after doing further research we can confirm that both m3 and m5 could support this using a very specific USB to Ethernet adapter.  The adapter must be using an ASIX AX88179 LAN chip solution.

In order to be able to use this feature you will need to get PXE working on a USB-LAN dongle (must be “ASIX AX88179” solution).
            First thing will be to find ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Giga Ethernet Adapter solution within USB-LAN dongle.
            Install it onto USB 3.0 port on the Cedar City.
            Power on.
            Press F10 Boot menu, customer will see IPv4 or IPv6 bootable items.
            It’ll try to connect to PXE server to boot up.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
            Alberto R

• 3. Re: PXE Boot STK2m3W64CC
              bbalz958

Thanks, we also found out that a few startech adapters (specifically 31000S) works as well.

You would just press F12 until network boot comes up and then keep pressing it when it says PXE booting to IPV4... then it will continue to PE.

Our experiences have been that if you don't continue to press F12, it will go from IPV4 to trying IPV6 and then fail.

Hope this help others who might be looking for assistance as well.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: PXE Boot STK2m3W64CC
                Intel Corporation

: You are welcome. Perfect, it is great to hear that you found a way to make it work properly and I am pretty sure the information provided above will be very helpful for all the peers viewing this thread.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,
                Alberto R

• 5. Re: PXE Boot STK2m3W64CC
                  handtruck

I have a Startech 31000S (which does have the ASIX AX88179 chipset) and still can't get PXE boot to work on the STK2M3W64CC.  It doesn't even appear to be lighting up (even though other USB 3.0 Nic devices do light up but don't pxe boot) - so it doesn't even appear to be recognized.  It works perfectly in the OS, however.

Any setting in the BIOS I might be missing for this to work?

• 6. Re: PXE Boot STK2m3W64CC
                    Intel Corporation

: Please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for this is that every scenario is different even if the same product is being used, so for us to better assist you and in order to try to fix the problem, please submit a new thread:
                    https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
                    Alberto R