Odds and Ends

T2Pilot

BIOS: Aero-01.00.13

OS Version: Poky Aero 1.5.1 (pyro)

Airmap: 1.8

FPGA: 0xC1

QGroundControl: 3.2.4

Greetings,

I have been performing some bench testing and familiarization of the RTF UAV. The following are some questions and observations.

Battery Current Measurement: Please confirm that battery current is not measured.

QGroundControl Battery Status Icon: On the top bar of the QGroundControl application, there is a icon indicating battery status (i.e. percent of full charge). I noticed that the icon would indicate 100% battery status when using a battery that was not fully charged while at full throttle (e.g. no props installed). I also am using an inline meter observing the true battery voltage. I used the QGroundControl’s MAVLINK Inspector feature to observe under “SYS_STATUS” and “BATTERY_STATUS” that there is a “battery_remaining” parameter. This parameter has the same value as the Battery Status Icon. I presume that the “battery_remaining” value is derived by the Aero OS. If so, would this be a “bug”?

System Time: Would it be possible to leverage the GPS receiver to set the system time of the UAV OS?

Spare Flight Controller Board: A review of the “Spare Parts” web site does not indicate that a Flight Controller Board is available. Is this expected?

Thank-you

Thomas Talley

• 1. Re: Odds and Ends
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Thomas,

I know that some features included in the QGroundControl application are not supported by the Aero RTF drone since QGroundControl is a general purpose platform, which means that it was not specifically designed for the Aero RTF drone. I’m not sure if the battery status icon is one of these features that are not supported by the drone. I’ll investigate about this question and about your question of the system time as well.

Regarding to your last question, the one about the spare parts. Could you please let me know which web site you are referring to exactly?

Regards,
          Diego

• 2. Re: Odds and Ends
            T2Pilot

The Aero RTF Spare Parts Web Site is;

https://click.intel.com/intel-aero-drone-spare-parts.html

With respect to the Battery Status, it appears that the data is originating from the UAV. The Battery Status is the same value as the “battery_remaining”. This value changes as the throttle is changed. Full throttle, the “battery_remaining” value is “100”. At minimal throttle, the value is lower. As the throttle is moved, the value changes along with the throttle changes.

So it does not appear to be a QGroundControl issue. It is only displaying the information provided by the UAV.

Thank-you

Thomas

• 3. Re: Odds and Ends
              Intel Corporation

Hi Thomas,

I have some updates about your questions, although we’re still investigating the one about the battery status and power consumption.

Regarding the spare parts question, the flight controller is not part of the spare parts. That’s the reason why it is not listed there.

Regarding the GPS and system time question, have you tried to use Python, DroneKit, MAVLINK to get GPS information. This may be done with these approaches so we recommend you to check them: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/04-Autonomous-drone-programming-in-Python

We’ll share more updates as soon as possible. Have a nice day.

Regards,
              Diego V.

• 4. Re: Odds and Ends
                lkm1321

I was able to get the voltage measurement and capacity estimate after calibrating on QGroundControl. I'm fairly convinced you won't get battery current readings. That would have to be done at the PDB, but there seems to be no appropriate communication interface from PDB to the compute board that can achieve this. The only 'data' connection are HSUART and battery ADC which are used for different things.

If I remember correctly, you get into the calibration window by clicking on the battery icon and there should be 'calibrate'. You have to measure the voltage with a multimeter while it is powered on, and enter the voltage measured into the calibration window. This allows the software to figure out what resistor divider is used for the battery ADC. I suspect this doesn't work out-of-box because the resistor divider ratio is different from Pixhawk.

• 5. Re: Odds and Ends
                  jonly

I am too trying to calibrate my battery - this is what i see on the power screen.  Connecting with USB does not help, the software is unable to connect.

Any suggestions?

• 6. Re: Odds and Ends
                    lkm1321

USB is for the propeller part. Go into 'calculate' for voltage divider.

• 7. Re: Odds and Ends
                      jonly

I go into Calculate - enter the voltage i measure at the battery and click "Calculate" but nothing updates or happens.

It says "Vehicle Voltage -1"

Is it possible the Aero isn't reading voltage at all?

• 8. Re: Odds and Ends
                        lkm1321

That's interesting, are you able to input your measurement though?

• 9. Re: Odds and Ends
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Thomas,

I have updates about the battery status question.

Battery Current Measurement: Please confirm that battery current is not measured.

The power consumption is not sent to the flight stack, only the battery voltage, therefore, the battery current is not measured.

Regards,
                          Diego V

• 10. Re: Odds and Ends
                            jonly

I am able to input the voltage, but nothing changes

This is the output from MavLink

• 11. Re: Odds and Ends
                              T2Pilot

Thank-you for your responses.

The “battery_remaining” parameter being sent by the UAV via the MAVLINK communications link can not be calibrated via the QGroundControl. I presume that QGroundControl is developed expecting that the “battery_remaining” information provided by the UAV to be accurate. The QGroundControl battery indicator is only displaying the “battery_remaining” data in the raw. A “battery_remaining” value of 100 is displayed by QGroundControl battery indicator as 100%.

With respect to the Flight Control board, since it is not part of the Spare Parts kit, is it available elsewhere? Or are you saying that if the board is damaged, there is no way to replace it?

With respect to the GPS time, any thought of adapting opensource NTP application for the UAV operating system?

Thank-you

Thomas

• 12. Re: Odds and Ends
                                Intel Corporation

Hi Thomas,

The Flight Controller is not available for sale apart from the Aero RTF drone. So you are correct, there is no way to replace only the Flight Controller.

Regarding the NTP application, I don’t have any suggestions unfortunately. I recommend you to look at the PX4 or Autopilot and see if they have any implementation of NTP.

Regards,
                                Diego V.

• 13. Re: Odds and Ends
                                  T2Pilot

With respect to Network Time Protocol (NTP), I was thinking more along the line of adding it to the UAV OS Build. If it is based on Yocto, the following might be handy:

ntp 4.2.8p10

http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/recipe/2299/