12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2017 7:48 PM by vs2

Only stereo audio with nuc7i3bnh connected to Samsung TV

biggggant

I was hoping someone could help me. I got my new and beautiful NUC7I3BNH set up but I the only audio option I get is stereo. I have tried different HDMI ports and cables. I have updated the Bios to 51, tried all the video drivers I could find  including the stable 4664 and the latest 4771, I've deleted just the audio from device manager, deleted the video from device manager, updated the HDMI firmware, clean installed windows, removed realtec and reinstalled etc etc. I am out of ideas. The hdmi on the back of the nuc is connected to my HDMI 2 on the one connect mini box of my samsung un65ju7100. My samsung 4k blu ray player and xbox one have no problems sending 4k and multiple audio formats when connected the same way. BTW tv has the most recent update to.

• 1. Re: Only stereo audio with nuc7i3bnh connected to Samsung TV
          vs2

I have an LG TV with built-in 5.2 Harman kardon speakers and it only shows up on the NUC as 2 channel.

• 2. Re: Only stereo audio with nuc7i3bnh connected to Samsung TV
            biggggant

thats terrible. It should be able to show and send surround sound

• 3. Re: Only stereo audio with nuc7i3bnh connected to Samsung TV
              vs2

I know. I can't even configure the speakers whether it be TV speakers or through the amp using the NUC playback devices configurator?? This is what I do if you don't need the USB-C for another display and want 5.1 / 7.1 etc + all digital formats.

Use a USB-C to HDMI adapter directly to your AVR and the HDMI on the NUC directly to TV. This way you get another option in playback devices on the NUC. Then just simply turn AVR on for movies, music etc and when you turn the AVR off it automatically defaults back to the TV speakers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Only stereo audio with nuc7i3bnh connected to Samsung TV
                biggggant

I guess thats what I'll have to do

• 5. Re: Only stereo audio with nuc7i3bnh connected to Samsung TV
                  biggggant

UPDATE. Workaround works.

ok I went to best buy and purchased the insignia brand usb type c to hdmi adapter. I couldn't get it to send the audio to my avr except stereo even though it showed all the options. the audio would go silent as soon as I configured for any multi channel audio. So I used the hdmi on the nuc to avr and the adapter to my 4k tv. The only problem the taskbar won't hide when kodi is full screen on the primary monitor. I set my 4k tv as the secondary monitor and my avr as the primary monitor and all works well. I have had to use the win+ left shortcut key to move windows over but its working well. I am now getting multi channel audio even HD audio formats and getting 4k video.

Still unsure I want to keep the NUC. I really don't think I need to use a workaround on something that should really work out of the box. I might just go with the same solution another user did and go with a Brix.

• 6. Re: Only stereo audio with nuc7i3bnh connected to Samsung TV
                    vs2

Did you clone your displays?

In 'advanced' in speaker properties try setting to DVD (16bit 48000hz)

In Kodi you have to enable wasabi (in two places) to get all the HD DTS and Dolby and passthrough needs to be enabled.

Primary display should be your TV with HDMI-HDMI and USB-c to avr as secondary.

Don't enable ycbcr or quantization on NUC graphics options for the cable leading to the avr (if you have these options?)

• 7. Re: Only stereo audio with nuc7i3bnh connected to Samsung TV
                      biggggant

I extended the display so I could keep my tv as using 4k resolution otherwise it would set my resolution to the 1920x1080 when cloning. Not sure what setting properties to DVD would do. Yes I enabled WASAPI and yes I have all the HD audio. The issue is if I try to use the samsung tv as the audio it only gives a stereo option which was what I reported initially. I have used the adapter to get mutli channel audio. USB-c TO AVR DOES NOT WORK FOR AUDIO not sure if I didn't explain it properly

cliffs

TV is a Samsung un65ju7100 4k tv

AVR is onkyo tx sr608 only passthrough 1080p video

nuc hdmi to samsung hdmi = 4k video/ only stereo audio

nuc usb-c/hdmi adapter to avr = 1080p/only stereo audio and no audio when configuring other options

nuc hdmi to avr hdmi = 1080p/and audio options

so this is why I had ended up where I am no

nuc hdmi to avr hdmi for full audio support

nuc usb-c/hdmi adapter to samsung hdmi for 4k video

with the latest 4771 driver from Sept 11 I can  no set my samsung tv as the primary and the taskbar hides when going full screen in kodi

let me know if you need any additional info

• 8. Re: Only stereo audio with nuc7i3bnh connected to Samsung TV
                        vs2

Sorry I am not an Intel person, just a user that had the same issues as you. I also have a 4k tv and an avr that is only 1080p as well.

Don't know what else for you to try.

On my setup I have this:

NUC - 4k TV using hdmi-hdmi

NUC - avr using usb-c (avr has NO connection to the tv otherwise it defaults to 1080p and I cannot clone displays)

I can clone both screens using 3840x2160p @60hz

• 9. Re: Only stereo audio with nuc7i3bnh connected to Samsung TV
                          biggggant

I was just restating what I tried since it seems like there was some misunderstanding. I have to choose extended since my nuc properly identifies my avr and will not allow me to select 4k resolution since my avr doesn't support it but that doesn't matter now since full screen kodi is working properly. I do have my avr connected to my tv in order to use arc for 4k sources plugged into my tv and for a couple 1080p sources plugged directly into my avr but when using the nuc I select the hdmi port on the avr that the nuc is plugged into in order to get audio and not the video output output on the avr. What did you have to do to get the usb-c to hdmi to work for audio?

• 10. Re: Only stereo audio with nuc7i3bnh connected to Samsung TV
                            vs2

I'm using a Samsung USB-C to 4k HDMI Adapter and I get 8 digital formats including Atmos showing up on the NUC's sound properties and it shows up on the NUC's graphics properties as the second display, 3840x2160p @60hz, cloned even though my AVR (Cambridge Audio 651r) is not Atmos nor is it 4k. It would not work if I enable YCbcr or quantization. Nor would it work if I tried to set the speaker properties on the NUC to more than default (16bit 48000hz) It also does not work if there is an HDMI out of the avr plugged into a TV. (well it does work but I get 2160p and 1080p conflicts)

I'm going to try this when it arrives. It will work for what I need and will take the USB-c port out of the equation.

AVR Key 18Gbps | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI

• 11. Re: Only stereo audio with nuc7i3bnh connected to Samsung TV
                              biggggant

Interesting but if I would spend 149 on that avr key I'd be better off returning the nuc and getting a brix since I read it does work properly. I'll see if this adapter setup gives me any issues and if it does then I'll just return the NUC.

• 12. Re: Only stereo audio with nuc7i3bnh connected to Samsung TV
                                vs2

Yes but the avr key makes sense if you have a 4k TV and a 1080p avr as it splits both the HD audio to your 1080p avr and the  4k, HDR video to your TV from just one source.