2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2017 10:00 AM by cpinheir

Compute Stick STK1A32SC - Boot screen list of devices always empty

cpinheir

No OS come pre-installed on STK1A32SC, so our only option was to install an OS via UEFI boot. We tried many different CD/DVD/USB flash devices attached to the Stick, but none of them seemed to be recognized (the boot screen never listed any connected device). Just to be sure, we purchased  a USB flash drive that was listed as having been successfully tested by Intel to be compatible with the STK1A32SC, but this was not recognized by the Stick either.

I am not sure if a valid UEFI image has to be present for the boot screen to even list the device as present, but to be on the safe side I made sure a valid UEFI image was used with whatever boot device we were attaching to the Stick. I verified the UEFI boot image by going to a laptop that was UEFI-only and booting the device there (always successful booting it from laptop).

I upgraded the Sticks firmware to the latest version, and UEFI booting is enabled. My guess is something in the hardware is broken. Anyone else ever have the same experience? Is the hardware most likely faulty, or is there a way to get this Stick booting properly that I just haven't thought of yet?

• 1. Re: Compute Stick STK1A32SC - Boot screen list of devices always empty
          linuxium

You would typically see this behaviour if you tried to boot a 64-bit OS requiring a 64-bit bootloader but the device's bootloader was set as 32-bit in the BIOS. So first check what is set in the BIOS by booting and pressing F2 and then boot from a USB which has been written with the appropriate OS. Finally if you are trying to boot a Linux OS bear in mind that the kernel needs to be at least v4.12 for audio over HDMI to work.

• 2. Re: Compute Stick STK1A32SC - Boot screen list of devices always empty
            cpinheir

Thanks...your comments did help. The boot options given in the BIOS are Win-32, Win64 or Android. I had exercised all 3 of these options a few weeks ago to no avail, but this was before we ordered the 'approved by Intel' USB stick. With the new stick, I was testing it with the last setting I had tried, which was Win32. Setting it to Win64, the new stick does boot. Strange though, as the UEFI image is Linux, not Windows.