7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2017 7:51 PM by Al Hill

Reinstall Device Driver

Melloe

I clicked Start and typed in "Troubleshoot" and clicked on "Troubleshoot "Hardware and devices", I get the message: Reinstall device driver. In the body of the message box it read: "There is a problem with the driver for Intel Core i5-2410M 2.30Ghz. Reinstalling the driver might fix the problem." Then it gives me two options: Apply this fix or Skip this fix and continue troubleshooting. I click on "Apply this fix" and the computer starts trying to resolve the issue but it just comes back to the same screen. I tried "Skip this fix" and the same thing happens. I thought Intel Core i5-2410M is my processor and processors don't have drivers correct? So, I'm lost. Does anyone know what this means?

• 1. Re: Reinstall Device Driver
          Al Hill

What Operating System?

And, what were you trying to troubleshoot?  Graphics?

Doc

• 2. Re: Reinstall Device Driver
            Melloe

Hello Al,

My OS is: Wndows 7 64-bit. I was trying to troubleshoot my "Hardware and Devices". Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Reinstall Device Driver
              Al Hill

Ok, what problem were you having with hardware and devices?

If you open the device mangler (aka device manager), are there any undefined (yellow bang) devices?

This is your (Sandy Bridge) processor:  Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz) Product Specifications

It has Intel HD 3000 Graphics.

You can find the latest graphics drivers here (just scroll down a bit):  Support for Intel® HD Graphics 3000

For other devices, we will need to know the motherboard or system model number and manufacturer.

Doc

• 4. Re: Reinstall Device Driver
                Melloe

Hi Al,

--I'm having problems with my computer freezing while streaming tv, movies, sports etc. That's why I was trying to troubleshoot my "Hardware and Devices". Please see     original post for specifics.

--I'm also having problems with connecting to websites. I get the perpetual "spinning wheel" on the tab and most of the time the screen goes white.

I don't know what (yellow bang) devices are?

--Processors don't have drivers, right? If not, why am I getting the message: "There is a problem with the driver for Intel Core i5-2410M 2.30Ghz; Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem"????

--I have the latest driver for my Graphics 3000.

--I don't know what my motherboard is or where to find this info. But the make & model of my computer is: Dell 17R N7110. Service Tag: 49DMZP1.

Thanks again for your help!

• 5. Re: Reinstall Device Driver
                  Al Hill

The so-call "yellow bang" is a yellow exclamation point next to a device in the device manager that is not working or is undefined.

You have not provided the dell model number.  I suggest you go to the dell website, enter your service tag, and get the latest drivers for your particular machine from them.

There is no driver for your processor, but there may be an updated BIOS for your motherboard from dell.  Again, their website will help you.

You may also want to make certain your OS and Microsoft software are up-to-date, specifically for Windows 7 SP1.

Any drivers that are available for your processor, besides the graphics, are here:  Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz) Product Specifications

I suspect your issue is more software related than hardware related, and this is where Microsoft can help.

Doc

• 6. Re: Reinstall Device Driver
                    Melloe

I went to Display Adapters and clicked on "Processors". My Intel Core i5-2410 2.30Ghz was listed for times? Three of them had (yellow bangs) next to them. What does that mean?

I have the latest drivers for my HD Graphics 3000.

I don't know how to find my motherboard or system model number. I went to the Dell website and entered my Service Tag number and couldn't find my motherboard information or the system model number? I thought the Dell model number is: Dell Inspiron 17R N7110. That's what comes up when I enter my Service Tag number?

My BIOS is A13. There is a download for my BIOS: 1) N7110A13 for Windows/DOS. I downloaded it but when I go to "Run as Administrator", a window from Phoenix Technologies pops up. This is from the Dell website; who's Phoenix Technologies? I was leery so I didn't run it{FLASH}. Should I?

Installed Dell Update and ran it. Everything is up-to-date.

How do I find out if my OS and Microsoft software (Windows 7 SP 1) are up-to-date?

Thank you very much for trying to help me!

• 7. Re: Reinstall Device Driver
                      Al Hill

This is the Dell support page for your machine and service tag:

Support for Inspiron 17R N7110 | Drivers & downloads | Dell Australia

It has everything you need for support of their hardware.

Regarding the bios, it is DELL's bios (even though is says Phoenix).  You can get all of the hardware support you need from DELL.

To determine if Windows is up-to-date, just do a Windows Update.  You may have to run Windows Update multiple times.  If you need help with this, Windows is Microsoft's product.  You can reach their support community here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/products/windows?os=windows-7

I strongly suggest you pursue support at DELL for your hardware and BIOS, and then Microsoft for Windows 7.  Once you updated your hardware drivers from DELL and Windows 7 from Microsoft, if there are still problems, respond to this thread.

Doc