Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

XTU not recognizing CPU

BMar
Beginner

Hi All, I have a laptop XPS 15 9560 i7-7700HQ. Today I was going to undervolt it but all the options were unavailable under XTU.

Not even the processors were recognized. I downloaded Intel's Processor diagnostic tool and ran it and my system passed OK. So Im lost with what can be going on.

If somebody could help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello poluxmx,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

The Intel® XTU reads the information from your computer BIOS, if these options are not available is because this is a limitation by your computer manufacturer.

You can try contacting your computer manufacturer and see if with a BIOS update you can have more options available or if you can do what you want to do from the BIOS.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
BMar
Beginner

Hi @Ivan U,

thank you for taking the time to answer, but, I failed to mention that 2 weeks ago I was able to do it and use XTU (undervolting) in a regular basis to test my temps and the battery, then I uninstalled it and went another week without it to see the difference which by the way was big, so I decided to install again XTU and keep it but then I couldnt as you can see in my previous post and it seems that Im the only one having this issue as I have already searched the internet and cant find something similar.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

There is a possibility that through Windows® update your system BIOS was updated and this option is not available anymore but the software works fine from our end, as I mentioned above the software only reads the information from your system bios and for that reason I was suggestion to contact your system manufacturer for a new BIOS update.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello poluxmx,

This is to do a follow-up on your case and find out if you require further support for this matter and how it went with the BIOS update.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
BMar
Beginner

Thank you for the follow-up Esteban. The responsible for not being able to change the processor settings was Windows, which with an update they disabled this. Fortunately, in the following update they re-enabled it again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am glad to hear the problem has been fixed with the windows update, poluxmx

In case you require further support, feel free to contact us back.

Thank you,

Esteban C
0 Kudos