4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2017 10:57 PM by Bill_IV

cannot install latest BIOS

mccririck

When I try to install SYSKLi35.86A.0061.EB.EXE on my NUC6i3SYH it fails to install as I get the message "Current BIOS is an unsupported legacy BIOS". I am trying to update from 0042 to 0061

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: cannot install latest BIOS
          d5aqoëp

You need to download the .bio file and boot your nuc into BIOS and install it manually from there. Browse to the folder where you downloaded your .bio file.

The .exe method of installing didn’t work.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: cannot install latest BIOS
            lw1948

1. Download SY0061.bio file from here: Download BIOS Update [SYSKLi35.86A]

2. Install this file using bios recovery method: BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC  . You can use the Power Button menu option. To get the Power Button menu, press the Power Button for 3 seconds (but not more than 4 seconds). Release the Power Button once the Power Led changes its color from blue to amber. NUC will boot into Power Button menu.

3. While the USB stick with the SY0061.bio file is inserted into USB socket, press F4 to initiate the bios recovery process.

Hope this helps

Leon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: cannot install latest BIOS
              mccririck

Thanks for your help. Worked a treat.

• 4. Re: cannot install latest BIOS
                Bill_IV

Thank you, Leon!!

Pressing F4 from the Power Button menu, with a .bio file in a USB thumb drive, connected, seems to have been successful.

But small details were different for me. I only got the amber LED, blinking at 1, 2 or 3 blink rates, when I was in some maze of twisty BIOS updates, all unsuccessful.

IF I was coming back from a blinking amber, after shut-down by holding the power button down for over 10 seconds, it would light the amber briefly.

Successfully triggering the Power Button menu produced the blue LED. It blinked, it went blank, it blinked, (it might have been more complex than that), then the Power Button menu was displayed. Pressing F4 started the update. First time I'd seen anything hopeful in response to my inputs. It showed the old version ID (0024) and the new version ID (0062) and asked if that's what I wanted.

Then it reported status and activity in white text on a black background, as it ran. When it was done, I had a screen full of blow-by-blow description, and it advised me to power down, disconnect the AC Adapter, then start it back up.

Now to reset to my desired BIOS setup, PXE boot to Legacy on the network...

What did the failure look like? Neither the .EXE from WIn10 nor the .bio file from the in-BIOS F7 menu succeeded. Both said they were going to do something, then the screen went black and the amber LED flashed. One long "on", one long "off" when from F7 and the .bio file, Blink twice, pause, blink twice, pause, etc. for the .EXE file run from inside Windows. I gave the BIOS/F7 36 hours over a day away from the office and it made no progress. Only the Power Button Menu seems to be working.

Thanks, I'd be lost without this help!

Bill