2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 9:14 PM by TonyTech07

DQ57TM Potential Issues with UEFI/SATA/USB?

TonyTech07

I have a related question on the Microsoft boards also but I have a feeling this may be a BIOS issue and maybe someone else here will recognize the problem. I'm testing the desktop configuration given below. Though I can use F2 to get into the BIOS setup and F10 to get into the boot menu, the Intel splash screen shows up twice (the second time there is a small black square at the upper left corner of the screen). The very-unprofessional looking double-splash is not the problem (though I thought I'd mention that for it is, well, unprofessional looking). The problem is that F8 won't get me into the Windows recovery screen, nor will F5 get me into the "safe mode" screen. Also, when testing Windows recovery (and ths IS the big problem), I get not the Windows recovery screen, but rather the Windows Boot Mgr screen with the message at the bottom: "Windows failed to boot because a required device was inaccessible", 0x0000225C. I have a feeling this is all caused at a very low level: the boot up/BIOS/Hardware/Device driver/OS startup level and maybe there is not the support for the system as I have assembled and configured, even though one would think that there was support, given the BIOS options. Any light shed on the issue is appreciated.

System:

DQ57TM, core i3 530, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB SATA HD (GPT partitioned), LG SATA DVD, Wired USB KB and mouse

Key BIOS Settings: UEFI boot enabled, RAID enabled

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (all updates applied)

• 1. Re: DQ57TM Potential Issues with UEFI/SATA/USB?
          Salem_Intel

Hi!

To begin troubleshooting, I'd recommend clearing the event log and loading the BIOS default settings:

Restart the system into BIOS by pressing <F2> during the boot process.  Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.  Reset any customized BIOS settings. Clear all DMI event logs by setting the option to "Enable", which is located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility.  Make sure the hard drive pre-delay under Advanced/Drive Configuration is set to 5 secs., at least.  Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.

Hope that helps!

• 2. Re: DQ57TM Potential Issues with UEFI/SATA/USB?
            TonyTech07

While I didn't clear the event log in the BIOS, there are no events listed there. I have reflashed the BIOS and that didn't help. I didn't try hard drive pre-delay, but I'm pretty much out of time to continue on with troubleshooting. I have abandoned UEFI/GPT and am deploying with BIOS/MBR which gives none of the anomalies that the former gives. I'll look at the technology again at a later date when it is more evolved and debugged.