7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2017 2:29 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC i7 booots up with no signal on screen

New_U
      Are you willing to send your system to us? (Yes/No) Unlikely
      Is your system a laptop or desktop? Desktop
      If desktop, is it custom built, or manufactured? Custom
      If desktop, what is the make/model of your motherboard? Intel
      What is the make/model of your system? (COMPLETE model name required) Intel i7 NUC
      What is the model of your CPU? i7
      What is the make/model of your failing display(s)? Samsung, TLC, JVC LCD's and Dell Monitor
      If laptop, is your built-in display failing? (Yes/No)
      What is your operating system? Windows 7
      Is it a 64-bit or 32-bit operating system? 64
      What display driver version do you have installed?
      What type of connection are you using? (HDMI, VGA, DP, DVI?) HDMI, DP & DVI
      What happens that results in the black screen failure? I'm currently able to boot up normally without screen viewing ability through listening to audio through an attached speaker. I can log on and shut down the PC but unable to view anything with only the "No signal" message appearing.
        • 1. Re: NUC i7 booots up with no signal on screen
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities. We are sorry to hear the NUC is not working properly.

Did the NUC work fine before under this configuration?

At this point one of the steps that we can try will be to test the NUC with the minimal configuration using just one memory stick at the time and connecting each of the displays individually. This is just for testing purposes, since it is very unlikely that the 3 video cables that you are using are defective but it will also help us to rule out a possible problem with the memory RAM sticks.

If the problem persists after that we can try to clear CMOS:
          https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005805.html

Could you please confirm the model of the NUC? For example: Intel® NUC7i7BN. You mentioned you are using Windows® 7 on it, and the thing is that according to the link below, if that is the correct model, the NUC will be fully compatible only with Windows® 10 and the drivers available in our web site will be for that operating system:
          https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-boards/000005628.html

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: NUC i7 booots up with no signal on screen
            New_U

Thanks for the response and assist.

Yes. The NUC worked fine before no problems. Sorry the correct model is NUC5i7RYH.

The RAM isn't the problem because I tested it before and the fact the system I can hear boots up and it does boot up with either or both installed.

I'm able to enter my password and windows theme plays and all the sounds for a successful login can be heard.

I can even then properly shut down the PC using (WinKey + right arrow + enter).

All this is happening without the ability to see the screen due to the "No signal" appearing.

I attempted the clearing of the CMOS but not sure it was successful or I got it correct.

I heard three beeps upon re-positioning the jumper and holding the power button for three seconds. But i don't think it was successful.

I am still however able to boot up login and shut down.

Hope the information provided lends more clarity to a possible solution.

Thanks.

UA

• 3. Re: NUC i7 booots up with no signal on screen
              Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Did you test the displays individually? The problem could be related to the connection or some kind of bug with the video ports. Please disconnect all the monitors then connect just one, try that with all 3 displays.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
              Alberto R

• 4. Re: NUC i7 booots up with no signal on screen
                New_U

Yes. Displays were tested individually and separately. Meaning the cables proved usable when connected to other devices to the different displays and worked.

Regards,

UA

• 5. Re: NUC i7 booots up with no signal on screen
                  js110

Hi!

This happened to me a few years ago with a desktop. It turns out that Windows configured the HDMI connection device as the primary device. Try this:

1 - With the NUC turned off, remove the HDMI cable from the NUC and leave only one monitor connected.
                  2 - Turn on the NUC. You should have an image on the monitor.

3 - Connect the HDMI device.
                  4 - Set properly the display setup in Windows.

• 6. Re: NUC i7 booots up with no signal on screen
                    New_U

Thanks for your sharing this info. However this does not seem to be the case.

I attempted as outlined in your directions but the monitor remained black, while the LCD attached via HDMI when plugged in came black with the "no signal" message. In press one of the keys at the side of the monitor it came up with a "no signal" message.

I also attempted reversing it with HDMI connected and DisplayPort for the monitor disconnected. Same outcome. I also tried for the first time two displays connected at the same time this also did not work.

Regards,

UA

• 7. Re: NUC i7 booots up with no signal on screen
                      Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for letting us know those results. At this point we pretty much tried all the steps we recommend to do to try to fix this issue. Do you remember any recent software/hardware changes you did on the NUC?

The next thing to do now will be to replace the NUC. In case you are interested in that option, you can always verify with the place of purchase if they have the chance to do that for you, or you can get in contact directly with Intel so they can further assist you with the process:
                      Chat support:
                      http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_processor_ww_english_Chat,

For phone support, depending on your location, you will see the contact information on the links below:

EMEA contact information: http://intel.ly/28QeAF3
                      APAC contact information: http://intel.ly/1ITfjUF
                      LAR contact information: http://intel.ly/29c0rW4
                      North America: Phone Number  1-916-377-7000, Monday - Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                      Alberto R