2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 2:45 PM by Intel Corporation

Is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver required without RAID drives?

Qboy61

I was working on a NUC6i5SYH and the computer was blue-screening quite often.  Basically no one wanted to use this machine due to the number of blue-screen events.  The machine would boot and then actions like moving around in the file system and opening a browser and browsing when the Intel RST would load (on the delayed start) would generally cause the machine to begin to be unresponsive.  Attempting further actions at this point would end in a Windows 10 blue-screen.  Allowing the machine to boot and stabilize for several minutes the computer would function until something graphics intensive would seem to set off the blue-screen problem.  The memory was tested extensively and the the hard drive diagnostics were run.  Windows system file checker was run.  All of these tests indicated nothing was wrong.  After seeing the correlation to the system going unresponsive at the Intel RST load I removed the Intel RST driver.  It appears that the machine is quite usable now so I am wondering if this Intel RST driver was required at all.  None of the drives are configured in RAID but I thought there were some benefits to the Rapid Storage Technology for non-RAID drives.